The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bob Reads cups and balls DVD...any good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
I keep seeing this pop up on "the 'bay" and wondered if it's any good? I don't know much about Bob, only what I've seen/heard on the Ammar DVDs.

It looks as though this is quite a good DVD with a lot of valuable info, can anyone confirm if this is the case?Or does it just recover old ground?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bob's historic information is priceless. You can't hurt yourself studying him.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
I do enjoy the history of all things conjuring related, but is much covered? Or is the DVD just old moves with a fresh spin?
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Anything by Bob is worth studying.
Bri
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
You might be getting mixed-up with two Bobs:

- Bob White has a C&B DVD, which is very good and is worth getting if you already have the Michael Ammar 'complete cups & balls' DVD.

- There's a four-DVD set of Bob Read's magic, which doesn't include much about the cups and balls, but is well worth getting in its own right.

Bob Read, who was an authority on magic history, appears on the Ammar cups & balls DVDs doing the segments about the history of the cups & balls.

...Bob's your Uncle
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
...Bob's your uncle.

Unless you live in San Francisco. Then he may be your maiden aunt. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
That's Roberta to you bill Smile
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Seriously though Bob White's DVD is great. He teaches very well.
Bob Read's DVD set does not have any specific Cup routines taught, but he does take you through a wonderful history of Cups & Balls via ancient prints of performers.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 16:39, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
...Bob's your uncle.

Unless you live in San Francisco. Then he may be your maiden aunt. Smile

I always wondered why my Auntie Bob had that handlebar moustache Smile
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
I haven't seen much of Bob Whites stuff... but if the content is even half the value as said by friends and others I highly respect, I would say it's probably worth every cent.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Whatever happened to the book on Bob Read's C&B art collection? Has that project now been scrapped?

Fortasse
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
That would be a great book to read if it ever came to be. I am still waiting for the books about Rings and Things, several people have said that they were going to write about them.

Thanks,
Bruce
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'm sure the book is still being worked on. It is a hurculean task and takes time.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
As one of the proposed authors of the book about Rings and Things, I can tell you flat out that I'm not going to write it. There is too much conflicting information about the company. It would serve no purpose at all to write this book. Once the truth about several of the items that have been produced by Rings and Things came out, then there would be hurt feelings and busted egos. We have enough of that in the magic business.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
I think (no pressure) Bill should do a book on the history of, workings, and examples of cups and balls. That would be an incredible volume Smile
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I wasn’t necessarily looking for dirt behind any of the RNT players throughout the years. I thought it would be cool to have a book discussing the manufacturing of their products and having high quality pictures of all their past and present offerings. My wish would be for a coffee table kind of book with great pictures….

Bill not that your pictures at the Museum aren’t great.

Thanks,
Bruce
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Actually, there is something in the works. I may have to fly Pete Biro out here to do some of the work.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2009-05-08 20:25, Bill Palmer wrote:
Actually, there is something in the works. I may have to fly Pete Biro out here to do some of the work.
Is it a translation from the German with lots of pictures ?
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Bill… Cool I look forward to seeing your project when it is completed.

Thanks,
Bruce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bob Reads cups and balls DVD...any good? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL