The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Oh Professor! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I did a little rope routine for my parants and a guest last night, which they enjoyed despite having seen "the Nightmare" many times. I asked their assistance in deciding what type of effect to do for them; one in which a long piece of rope is magically cut in two, or one in which an imaginary piece of rope is cut by real scissors? In both I started out pantomiming holding a piece of rope. For the first effect an actual long piece appeared and I 'cut' it with my fingers pantomiming scissors, and I set the pieces aside. Then I used real scissors to cut another imaginary rope, only to have two unequal strands appear in my hands. Naturally, I stetched these unequal pieces to the same length, and with spectator help did linking rings with my cleverly switched rope pieces. I was going to restore them to a single long strand, but we'all got diverted by pie and cookies.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Was this "Dances with Ropes"?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=9&33
Sounds good, but why the Mime and invisible rope when you can do it for real?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2009-05-06 08:15, magicians wrote:
Was this "Dances with Ropes"?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=9&33
Sounds good, but why the Mime and invisible rope when you can do it for real?

No, just my own playing around. I have found that pretending to have an object (invisible) and having it turn real is very efective -- like making a dream come true. Guess I'm just uncomfortable with suddenly saying, "here I just happed to have an ordinary piece of rope." If I were skilled enough I'd cut the cord off of a lamp, do some tricks with it and then restore. Can't do that impromptu, so I play with producing a rope instead. My own worse enemy, I guess.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Well, the title got my attention and the description is very close to what I do during "Dances with ropes"
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2009-05-07 11:37, magicians wrote:
Well, the title got my attention and the description is very close to what I do during "Dances with ropes"

Haven't seen it unfortunately. Probably pretty good. Mine is mostly a takeoff on FunSway's "Necklacy". It ends with PN as a suggestion, but not essential to the entire routine. Some influence with "Three Ropes and a Baby" Mostly just playing around. Often when I don't like what I see I try and think of a way to improve it.

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Almost 60 years ago I bought Harold Sterling's "Short and Long" rope trick. I still use it today, matter of fact did it last night at a friend's 70th birthday surprise party. Frankly the effect and comedy are so strong, I don't like to do anything more complex for laymen. I think many routines just confuse them.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Oh Professor! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL