The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Dye Tubes (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I am trying to find dye tubes online and not having any luck. I need to purchase several standard sized tubes and one larger tube. Does anyone know any suppliers. I have written to several and not received any response in several days.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Mister Mystery
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You know, I have been known for finding items for people who have no success anywhere else, but I will tell you my secret.
For dye tubes: I typed into a google search engine
"dye tubes" and got this: (ignore the firefox if you want)
http://www.google.com/search?q=dye+tubes......=firefox
On the first page was U.S. toy with 3 sizes, Porper magic, and Silk King studios.
Yes, there were medical items shown, and industrial stuff, but it is quite obvious that the search reveals superb results. I didn't even look at the second page.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
What sizes and kinds do you want?
I have some used ones.
PM me or email jjeaton@aol.com.
Maybe I can help.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Then there are my favorite suppliers:
http://www.morrisseymagic.com/morrissey_......dye+tube

I carry a nice one in stock as well. Ireland style (no tape), curled edges on the mouth.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
I collect dye-tubes, well, I am addicted to collecting dye tubes is more accurate. Many of the internet and brick and mortar shops with internet sales too, have them. Viking Magic is a great source and so is Rice's Silk King Studios. Nielsen's Magic and Silk King Studios have the very old style. They are too big for me to use (small hands), but I had to have them for the collection.

The 3 tube set from Silk King are wonderful old fashioned props, but must be rountined as being used inside of a rolled up sheet of paper. They are piston activated. I prefer the hand held variety.

My favorites, the ones I actually use, are the Palmo and Rice's Simplex.

I just got a Porper Dye-Tube and it is very nice. It looks approximately like Vernet's plastic dye-tube and works just the same.

Some of the older tubes use a bit of cloth tape as a separator. I really haven't found that necessary.

Be sure to buy a copy of Rice's and Van Zandt's "Thru the Dye-Tube". That is about the best book on dye-tubes that there is and it's very cheap ($5.00) at Silk King Studios.

I'm about to invest in the DVDs that Duane Laflin has made for silk workers. I hate DVD's for learning magic and much prefer books, but too many silk workers have recommended them to me and everyone, so I will bow to the pressure.

Dye-tubes are very cool. The Palmo will amaze you with it's ease of use and simplicity. You can slay specs with it and the learning curve is very easy. I'd start there first and recommend you get a Rice's Simplex too:

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice%27s%20Palmo.htm

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice%27s%20Simplex.htm

dsalley13
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
And aren't we all thrilled that the Masked Magician showed how these little things are used in this week's show.
I might go back to using a TT and smaller silks.
It's been the opener to one of my shows for years and has played very well. The Pat Page handling of the sucker showing.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Since I learned it early I've always been comfortable with the sleights for concealing the Tube and have used it for other things besides 'dye'. I have a magnet in one that can gaff a paper cup for a Chop effect. I find it easier to hide this gimmick than a tiny magnet with a tab on it -- and it can be passed from hand to hand easier.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ruth Rice ("Rice" on the Magic Café) had a real deal offered that may still be available. It was three different Rice (yep, real ones!) dye tubes for $25. These are the expensive metal ones with sliding metal plungers made into them.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Don't forget that diamond cut silks work just fine in dye tubes and really make the silks used look much larger. (Usually they look about 4X larger than the square silks taking the same space.)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Where can I find a Dye Tube that is BARREL-SHAPED? I am looking for the type that Dai Vernon used in Volume 10 of his Revelations DVD Set.

I have a Dye-tube, but the hole is small and it takes a long time to push an 18 inch silk into it. I still want a Dye Tube, NOT a Palmo-type Tube to conceal in your palm.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
A Palmo IS barrel shaped . The tube shaped device (without tape) that has two turned in ends is called a simplex.
Some people (incl. Tenyo) are marketing a tube that has only ONE turned in end and the other end is sized to fit on the tip of your finger. But if it is barrel shaped it is usually a palmo. I might add that if the ends are turned in, it obviates the need for a ribbon or tape inside)

Vernon may have been using Roger Klause's version of a palmo (which had a tape) because in his version the sides tapered to the opening but without a turned in lip. Vernons' routine in Chronicles is very good, but requires the device be turned over...which is not necessary if there is no tape involved (such as a Palmo)
visit me @ JNealShow.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The turned edge is very important is holding the silk in place and copping the tube out. Rice's simplex tube also has the turned edges like the palmo.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
If you ever forget yours, paper coin rolls work well. Go to the dollar store and pick up a bag of the ones with the rolled edge. Simply pick a size that fits and cut it to the right size.
-Matt
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I prefer the Palmo over most of the Simplex styles because the holes are usually larger without the gimmick overall being too large for my hands. The Palmo just has a nice compact size and with the larger hole you can get the silk in faster if using for a vanish. I hate watching other magicians take 45 seconds to stick a silk into their fist. I think you lose half the audience, and the other half are asleep.
Bill
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
You can also find them at http://www.pasilks.com .
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My plan for lectures in 2010 is to include Dye Tubes and dye tube tricks and routines that you can customize.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Dye Tubes (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL