The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Mexican pesos and Toni Slydini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chronica
View Profile
Loyal user
France 94 Vitry s/s
246 Posts

Profile of chronica
Has someone seen Slydini using these types of coins during his act and was it the coins through the table routine or something else?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When I saw Slydini doing the coins through the table, he was using American silver dollars. However some of the 5 peso coins from the late 1950's through the early 1970's would be perfectly suitable.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
chronica
View Profile
Loyal user
France 94 Vitry s/s
246 Posts

Profile of chronica
/quote

INTERNATIONAL
MAGIC AUCTION

THE MAGICIANS'
MARKETPLACE

NO BUYERS FEES
(unlike other auctions
with 20% + fees)

Email Ron @
ron@ronallesimagic.com

Buying Collections, Estates & Single Pieces

CASH
Top Dollar for
MAGIC
Collections
and Estates

Current & Vintage
Apparatus, Books,
Posters, Memorabilia,
Magic Toys, Illusions,
& most anything else!
WE TRAVEL TO YOU
TO PACK & REMOVE
LARGE COLLECTIONS

ron@ronallesimagic.com
(513) 678-6146

Buying
Antique TOYS
Battery-Op - Wind-Up
Friction & Cast Iron
Top Dollar Paid
(513) 678-6146
ron@ronallesimagic.co

SPANISH/MEXICAN PALMING COINS - Slydini/Rare Auction ID : 55227

Welcome,
chronica Report this Auction

Description

SPANISH/MEXICAN PALMING COINS
Slydini/Rare
These palming coins were used by Slydini, considered Slydini Palming Coins.
They are bigger than an American Kennedy Half but smaller than an American Silver Dollar,
1 3/8" dia. believe to be of white metal.
We have only 5 of these from a Token Coin Collection!

/quote

I don't think it's a fake but I wanted to know if someone had seen them in an act.
These are one peso coins from the 1950's just a bit smaller than a silver dollar.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've never heard of these being called "Slydini Palming Coins." The listing is apparently gone now. I also don't understand why Ron would call these "Spanish/Mexican Palming Coins." I know the coins in question. These were ordinary Mexican one peso coins which contained about 5% silver, the rest being a copper based alloy similar to brass. They had a tendency to turn green very quickly.

They are not rare. When these coins were originally issued, they had a flat edge with an incised inscription that said something like Libertad y Unidad.

A fellow in Houston, Bill Fickle, used to make cut down coins and hollowed out shells from these. They were usually sold in magic shops in Mexico. Somewhere in my collection I have a set of these which my father purchased from me at a shop in Mexico City. He laughed when I told him that they were made in Houston.

If the set on the IMA site had milled edges, those were added by the user.

They made great palming coins because they were a size about halfway between a silver dollar and a half dollar. They were a little thick, though. They also needed to be chrome or nickel plated, because they became a sickly gray-green after being used for a while. They were readily available at coin shops for about 10 cents each. the face value was a little more than 8 cents at the time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

chronica
View Profile
Loyal user
France 94 Vitry s/s
246 Posts

Profile of chronica
He said they are rare because they have belong to Slydini; the site has serious and nice stuff and I don't think Ron is a cheater. He confirms it when I mailed him :

/quote

chronica Feb. 19, 2009 14:15:17
hello do you mean Slydini has used 'THESE ' coins or the same style of coins please?? and how did you get this information because I ve only seen him with one dollar coins. and anyway these are not spanish but mexican coins I think. thanks in advance for your answer, friendly Chronica

IMA Feb. 19, 2009 14:30:47
Hello, Those coins were purchased from Slydini. Coins that he used in his act. Spanish/Mexican are the same as Mexican speak Spanish, so the coins are considered Spanish language coins. The size was listed in the auction ad and did not state one dollar size, the ad said that they were smaller than a silver dollar, but larger than a half dollar. I hope this answers your question Chronica? Ron
/quote

Maybe he used them during his Mexico performances, because of the tension beetween USA and Mexico, the people there maybe would prefer to see tricks with their own money than with Dollars ; that could be an explaination .
On the edge the inscription is : Independencia y libertad
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
Hello, Those coins were purchased from Slydini. Coins that he used in his act. Spanish/Mexican are the same as Mexican speak Spanish, so the coins are considered Spanish language coins. The size was listed in the auction ad and did not state one dollar size, the ad said that they were smaller than a silver dollar, but larger than a half dollar. I hope this answers your question Chronica? Ron

I don't think Ron is a cheater, either; however, that statement that I quoted is rather silly. The idea that Spanish/Mexican are the same as Mexicans speak Spanish is like saying that our Dollar coins are "English/American" because Americans speak English.

Since that listing is no longer available, it's hard to figure out what Ron was thinking. I've known Ron for a long time, and I've bought a lot of stuff from him. Usually, his listings are fairly accurate.

You did not mention in your original post that Ron said he had actually acquired the coins from Slydini.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Mexican pesos and Toni Slydini (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL