The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » [extreme] Gambler´s Marked Deck (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Wow, this extreme special deck of cards must be very useful for any card worker, read info and you will put this on a wishlist:

http://boriswild.com/magicshop_gmd.html

Marked + Stripped + Stacked!
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Put me a down for a million of em'.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Just don't use this type of marked cards for knowledgeable people or in a game.....you will be nailed...it is VERY easy to discover this type of mark if you use the "gambler's riffle test".

Great for magic and most audiences.
Long Island,

New York
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Marked six ways? Even in magic who needs six types of mark on a deck??
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

I did not notice that.....what a great way to increase the odds of getting caught Smile
Long Island,

New York
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Six ways, I've seen a BW marked deck, and made one with the old book, but it was not marked in 6 ways.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I think you'll find that this deck is being sold by Boris Wild's online shop......but is in fact a deck of cards manufactured by a magic shop in Las Vegas called "Houdini's".

In other words, it isn't a Boris Wild Marked Deck at all, but a magic shop tourist deck.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

The Boris Wild deck is not stripped either....this is probably a knock off.
Long Island,

New York
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
No, it's no a knock off of anything, it's a Gamblers Marked Deck from Houdini Magic Shops in Las Vegas.
It's sold to tourists in the malls.

It was created by Geno Munari, who owns the magic shops.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the Boris Wild deck, which was where this thread got off on the wrong foot.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Oh...thanks....that is actually good....Boris's system is too good to expose to the public Smile
Long Island,

New York
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Good job the public never watch you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_ty......rds&aq=f
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
The Gambler's Marked Deck from Houdini Magic is still available - see the official product page (costs $33).

The concept reminds me of Andy Nyman's "The Code" in terms of what it can do: being able to identify the card above and below a cut card, and identify its position in the stack. Am I right that it doesn't use the Mnemonica Stack, but something called the "Erdnase Stack", whatever that is? At least, that's what the accompanying booklet seems to suggest.

The Code only came out in 2013, whereas this was already released back in 2009. Given how much attention and praise The Code got when it was first released, and similarly Luke Jermay's Marksman Deck, why hasn't the Gambler's Marked Deck received more attention? Boris Wild was involved with it as well, and yet there seems to be hardly any info about it online, and not much buzz at all.

Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
The give away is the note on the display card that says "FUN & EASY TO DO!"

This is a kids deck, covered with marks that anybody can see for the trouble of just looking.
It has nothing to do with gambling, and very little (if anything) to do with serious card magic.

It's a toy.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2021, Mr. Bones wrote:
This is a kids deck, covered with marks that anybody can see for the trouble of just looking.
It has nothing to do with gambling, and very little (if anything) to do with serious card magic.
It's a toy.

That's what I thought at first too. But take a look at this video from magician PigCake, who ranks it as #2 in his all time favourite marked decks to use:

TOP 5 Marked Decks (Best gimmicked deck)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLzaPwv1PV0&t=571s (start watching at 9:31)

It is produced by USPCC, so the card quality is the same as a standard Bicycle deck. And the markings sound very similar to The Code, except that it uses a different stack.

It was released around 2009 already, and included involvement from Boris Wild, so that gives it some credibility.
5ggg
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of 5ggg
Its a deck they sell at tourist magic shops and things like that. There are many decks out there better than this one
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2021, 5ggg wrote:
Its a deck they sell at tourist magic shops and things like that. There are many decks out there better than this one

Have you seen a copy or own one? And which marked decks do you consider to be better than this?

I've since corresponded with Boris Wild about this deck, because he was involved heavily in its creation. It turns out that it's actually comparable to other marked decks in this niche (e.g. Andy Nyman's The Code, Luke Jermay's Marksman Deck). It's a USPCC printed deck and the quality is good and like any Bicycle deck, and it uses a stack and has the potential to do the same kind of things as those decks.

The only real difference is that they figured they'd get more sales marketing it to the many tourists passing through Las Vegas than to magicians. But the quality isn't inferior - this isn't a cheap gimmick or toy, despite the place where it's being sold. Why do you say that there are many decks out there better than this?
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Smile
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
5ggg
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of 5ggg
For the main purpose, or one of them, for this part of the Café - they arent anything special. If I needed things like that I would probably go to slim card co or do it myself. Then again, I don't really buy many magic trick these days anyway
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Go to Houdini Magic, buy the deck, have it in your pocket in your hotel, go to jail.
By the way, what happened to USPCC's pledge to not modify the Rider back?
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Maiden Back, not Rider.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » [extreme] Gambler´s Marked Deck (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL