The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mac King's Thumb Tie handling. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
182 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Hi Guys

I have tried using the search facility but can't find what I’m specifically looking for, apologies if I have missed it somewhere. I had an illusion built last year which is an escape from spikes. It's a Paul Daniels idea, which he very kindly gave me permission to revisit.

It utilises the thumb tie principle. I have read and tried lots of different methods, including clever knots and glue. However last week in Vegas I saw Mac King use a brilliant method that would be perfect for my illusion using twist ties. Does anyone know where I can find the handling for this particular method? or if it's available in print anywhere? or even if it's Mac's property so to speak?

I loved Mac's show, I saw it twice in fact. I can't possibly say strongly enough how fantastic his show is.

Thank you in advance for your help guys.

Rich
CanadianMagicguy
View Profile
New user
British Columbia, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of CanadianMagicguy
There is a small book written by Jay Marshall called "The Jaspernese Thumb-tie" that uses pipe cleaners, but I imagine it would work just as well with twist ties. The book is still available through magic dealers like Elmwood Magic and Hank Lees. I don't know if it is the same method used by Mac King, but it may be worth a try.

Bruce
"Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut roast beef"
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I was never really sure of Mac's method. I never looked for it as the routine is better not knowing. LOL

"Don't sit down!" ... "there's only one place it can be, and I'm all tied up!"

Brilliant:)
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Mac, indeed, uses the Jaspernese Thumb tie.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, it is Jay's handling.

You might also look at Irv Weiner's Red Tape tie.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
182 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Thank you so much for your help guys. I just ordered the book.
voodoo
View Profile
Regular user
Indonesia
163 Posts

Profile of voodoo
Does anyone have the link?
"When Illusions Become Reality"
www.demianaditya.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
I don't know Mac's handling, but in the past I have used a t**** **p to recreate something similar. Not sure if that can help you out, I just wanted to throw that out there.
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
246 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Plenty of them in stock at Magic Inc!
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
"Here, just wrap the twist-tie tightly around my unusually colored plastic thumb please."
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I used Irv Weiner's Red Tape for YEARS in my show.. and actually fooled Paul Osborne with it when I did it in my amusment park show on and off for a season.

The only drawback to the routine.. is that you end with tape around each thumb.. not that it's bad.. but it's inconvenient to try to cover the interim while finding the ends and unwrapping your thumbs..

However... it's an AMAZING effect.. and in the YEARS that I've done it.. it's blown people away consistantly!!!
chuckn34404
View Profile
Regular user
Bend, Oregon
124 Posts

Profile of chuckn34404
Is the Jaspernese Thumb Tie the same as Ten Ichi Thumb Tie found in Tarbell volume 4 on page 264?
Chuckn
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Nope.
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Probably the best thumb tie is written up in the Dai Vernon Book of Magic. I learned it from Shigeo Takagi and have seen him and Maki Kitami do it and it is a bafffler. Jay Marshall and I saw Mr. Tenyo do this version and we both were on stage right next to him and saw nothing. We both thought maybe had had an amputation of a thumb. The "work" is all in the timing and body language.

You hands move like a bird (with wings extended). Hard to describe but believe me, when you GET IT... it becomes MAGIC.

Unfortunately I have not kept up with doing it and probably wouldn't fool a fool with it these days.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Shigeo Takagi`s routine is in his book "The Amazing Miracles of Shigeo Takagi" page 88-94. Really a nice routine. I think that Maki Kitami had a video lecture on his thumb tie routine produced by AIVIDEO. Maybe it is available again in Nagisha Magic shop. As Pete has already said there is a great routine in Vernon`s Book of Magic. Vernon also explains how you can easily make stiff ropes using a regular masking tape.
I always liked performance of thumb tie routine by Howord DeCourcy.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Diana Zimmerman also did a nice elegant routine (saw it live at an SAM convention), and Lee Grabel's which is in his book and on the DVD set, it is also very good.

Blair
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Howord DeCourcy performing his thumb tie routine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzR0rizUG_c
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
THANKS ... I always wanted to see him work.

Posted: Jul 17, 2010 2:34pm
Oh, just remembered, Joe Monti is marketing a great routine with police style plastic tie wraps.
safuto
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of safuto
Thanks for the Plug Pete.
I have spent the last month getting all the proper footage together for this DVD to be the best teaching of a Thumb Tie. It really is a part of my life that I want to share at this point. 25 years of work. http://www.thumbtie.com has a video clip.
Much appreciation,
Joe Monti
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mac King's Thumb Tie handling. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL