The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My manipulation act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shinji07
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of shinji07
Hello guys! Nice to meet you!
I have just registered for this site, and this is my first post.
I am very excited to have found out this great Café!! I hope we can make a profitable exchange of our knowlege!

Anyway, in this post, I want you to watch my performance, which is uploaded on the link below. The performance was done in front of my family circle, so I am sorry you won't understand the last part of the performance. (In actuality, I roast the red silk on the lighter and chenges into confetti.)

http://www.vimeo.com/4812055

I admit that the performance is still shabby, but I am very eager to improve it.
My main questions are

1. Did you realize the concept of this magic? I wanted to acheive the effect of 20th century silk by using all 4 cards produced in the first part. (2 blue cards are changed into blue silk, one yellow turns into a ball, and the red one is used for changing the color of the ball from yellow to red, which is going to transform into a red silk very soon.)

2. Do you have any suggetion for the way to vanish the red silk in the last part? Right now, I am using the Hank-ball to accomplish it, but I feel this is not to may taste.

And any comments will be appreciated!
Thank you in advance!
MattMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Erie, CO
190 Posts

Profile of MattMagician
I liked it but...

1. the concept was hard to follow (that's okay though)

2. vanish with a pull at the end, you're already in the right position

Otherwise, great act! Quite entertaining!

Matt
Matt Simonsen
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
For some reason the video is playing really choppy (choppily?) on my mac. Is there another version somewhere? (YouTube?)

-Daniel
daser
View Profile
New user
MARS
28 Posts

Profile of daser
Good act ...

you can transform the red silk into cane (you can remove the ap.cane in the beginning), silk to candle , automatic silk to ball ,
or you can use gimmicks like "invisble hand"
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
Use a r**l to vanish the last silk, then YOU toss the confetti the same time you vanish. (have a load somewhere in your jacket.) Don't have an assistant come out the last 30 seconds of the act. Then you pull the silks from around your neck showing the red silk in the middle and some other strong closer, quick, and flashy. Maybe a blendo of the two colors, I'm not quite sure. And you need a very secure, strong pose at the end that signifies the act is over. This pose should happen on the last beat of the music.(Also known as the button of the music.) Hope this helps. Just my opinion.

-Matt M.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

I like the act. Its not boring. But there are some too complicated parts which are techniqually silly. I think you need a better music(or maybe some alternatives?)and a better costume.

The concept is good but hard to understand, and you can use a pull or something like that, that makes you more confortable.

best wishes,

Nedim Guzel
shinji07
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of shinji07
Thank you for a lot of advice!
>MattMagician
There were some people who even didn't realize I was using the cards, because the cards were in sight for only a short time and ball manipulation is the longest part of this performance.
I will try to make an effort to emphasize the existence of the cards.
(Actually, now I use three boxes to contain each card so that spectators can always see the cards in juxtaposition.)
Anyway, really apreciate your opinion!

>DanielCoyne
Well, I have uploaded it only on vimeo. Maybe this site doesn't match to Mac computer. I am sorry but please try it on Windows.
(I am very unfamiliar with computers, so actualy my brother uploaded this on vimeo. Next time, I will ask him to upload it on Youtube.)

>daser
Wow, I have just checked "invisible hand", and found it very magical!
I decided to buy it! (It's a little bit expensive...)
Thank you for the great information!

>mattmccoy
Thank you for the shrewd and really professional advice!
I normaly don't have an assistant come out, but this time I used him as an inside joke.
I really admit that I am performing the 20th century silk very awfuly. In addition, this effect is not strong enough to crown the performance, so I definately follow your advice to make spectators feel "Oh, this effect must be the climax for this performance!"

>Nedim
Thank you for watching the performance!
Yes, I will change the way to vanish the silk to using a pull, and at the same time toss the confetti.(as told by mattmccoy)
I admit that I need technical improvement in some parts. I am lacking in techniques, so I had to choose the method from my restricted knowledge to achieve the effect.

Regarding music, it is my favourite... but I draw upon your opinion, and will think about it too.
Thanks!
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
Shinji,

Your technical skills are higher than most adult magicians I've seen in magic competitions. It was over all very good. My advice was mostly on flow, timing, and blocking. Things that can't take a great act and put it to a professional level. Overall very well done!!!

-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My manipulation act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL