The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » wearing a mask (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flooglestreet
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of flooglestreet
I am a street magician with a problem about identity. Mr. Magic and magic man are the names I get, and my problems in the past have been getting a recognizable name. Mystery Tramp seems to work, but I thought I could punch it up (and hide my lousy smile, I am dentally challanged to the tune of about 8 teeth) with a mask. I work in a top hat white tie and tails, a mask, like the Phantom of the Opera musical might work. I don't play primarily to kids, but it might scare them off and they are a sizable proportion of my audiance. I'm going to probably give it a shot, but would like to hear from others first. Smile
If ya wanna be the Top Banana, Ya gotta start at the bottom of the Bunch (Johnny Mercer)
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
A mask is probably not the way to go.
The problem is that it leaves you with only one expression (that is a fact; my opinion is that it doesn't work for Jeff McBride, either!)
Unless you have some OVERWHELMING reason for wearing a mask (L'homme masque, of the 18th century, was a stage performer who was of the very upper class and wished to keep his identity a secret so he wore a mask), then it is going to look like a silly affectation.
But who knows? It might work, too.
So give it a shot and see what happens.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Before you wear a mask in public make sure that you are comfortable with it. I started wearing a pirate patch for themed kids shows that I do, and found that I had more trouble A: seeing things properly and
B: Interacting with my audience as I was only able to literally make 'eye' contact (not eye's contact).

You may find it is harder to relate to the audience if you cannot use your normal range of expressions etc,

Good Luck with it,
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
How about dentures? Smile
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I do not think masks are a great thing for close-up for the reason of expressions that Chris just mentioned. Smile
Yours,

Ivan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » wearing a mask (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL