The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Music for magic shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deputata
View Profile
New user
Bulgaria
34 Posts

Profile of deputata
I am structuring a manipulation act and was wondering about the music.Can I get sued because I am using a song out of a album in public?And if I can get sued for this,how will I find some kind of music that will not give me problems in the future.Pls give me more info about this subject.
cmdash24
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of cmdash24
Where are you planning on performing? On the street?
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
For most music used in a public performance you need to pay a royalty. Most theaters and places where music is performed already have an arrangement with the organizations that collect these royalties for music played in those venues.

Technically, you should be pay if you play such music in public, although you probably won't get caught.

Alternatively, there is "open source" music, stuff that is licensed for use for free. There are also folks on the 'net who will compose/perform music for you for a very reasonable fee.

This issue can get really complicated. In an interview on Magic Newswire, Gay Blackstone mentioned that most of the music used in the various routines on Masters of Illusion had to be replaced because folks didn't have permission to use the music on TV.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
deputata
View Profile
New user
Bulgaria
34 Posts

Profile of deputata
Thanks for the info marty.sasaki.And Cmdash24,my act is for stage.If somebody can give more info for this, it will be great.
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
As Marty mentioned, you might be able to find music through free or freely-useable sources...

I haven't tried to use this, but you might be able to find something on http://ccmixter.org . The music seems to range from pretty good to terrible (in my opinion) and you might be able to talk to the artist and get permission to use it for commercial performances, or could negotiate a deal with them. The stuff I've seen on the site is under Creative Commons, but under such a license that it is not useable for commercial purposes without permission of the artist. It doesn't hurt to ask!

Another site that has caught my eye is Magnatune ( http://magnatune.com "We are not evil.") who you might be able to work out some licensing deal. They adjust their scale according to the cost of the project, and they have some pretty good and a wide variety of stuff there!

You might also find something free at http://archive.org, the Internet archive, which hosts free stuff.

Good luck!
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
A pretty cool thing happened to me a little while ago when I went to a concert by a certain musician that I like very much.

During the meet-and-greet after the program, I asked this man if I could have permission to use his original instrumental guitar music as background for my show.

He said yes!

Sometimes all you gotta do is ask, and you shall receive!

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Local community colleges have keyboarding classes.
Write your own music, no issues.
At least, that's what I always did.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Look at the magic music cds by Arthur Stead. He's a very talented, long-standing musician who's worked with magicians, like Duane Laflin, to produce lots of royalty free music.

He has two cds of songs; one of effects; one for Christmas and another for Halloween. Each are $30 (but some dealers sell them cheaper.)

http://www.arthurstead.com/

I've been very impressed so far with my purchases and watching other magicians use this music.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
What would be helpful is if someone who KNOWS how this works would post such, and tell us how much we have to pay, to whom, how to find them and what the rules are. Not hearsay, but real info.

In my experience, it is often important to match the music to the routine. Generic or unknown music just will not work. I do a routine to "Hand Jive", for example, that NEEDS that music. If you can use the royalty-free music that's great, but sometimes you need a very specific piece of music...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Music for magic shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL