The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Half Dollar Shell. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Double O Magic
The Half Dollar shell makes a clunk instead of a clink and looks too shiny. Is this normal?
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Yes, the gaff usually doesn't sound like a real coin. And if it's for Scotch and Soda, why does it matter if it's too shiny? It's not being compared to another silver coin.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Carry the coins in your pocket for a while. This will dull them, just be careful not to spend the coin.

I drop coins from one hand to the other by dropping the first coin (with the shell down) first. There is still a difference, but it is slight.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
If you are counting several coins into the other hand a little jingle of the coins alrady there can mask the difference. I often just Disengage and toss the actual coin while palming the shell -- depends on the routine. I think you only have to do the 'clink' occasionally anyway to establish a Pattern of Performance. The actual pouring of several coins from hand to hand doesn't make a 'clink'
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Double O Magic
Ok so it is something to be expected. Ok. Thanks guys! It was just a little weird because the heads side of the shell was like tin foil but the insert looked regular when in. Only one person noticed so far but he shrugged it off. Thanks guys!
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
If you have a fireplace - ashes can be used to dull the coins so nicely. I have a set that I polished and then decided I wanted to dull down a bit and took some of the chunks of charred wood (burnt through but still chunky) and used that to polish the coins down a few grades in dullness. Also, it tones the coins nicely by filling in the cracks with dark charcoal. Damp cloth to wipe off the black powder and all set. Just one more option besides the bleaching method.
Michael
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
One more tip - a teflon insert in the shell will deaden the sound tremendously. It dampens the clinky sound. It will still sound tinnier than a solid coin but having them jiggle in your hand wont tip the gaff anymore.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Half Dollar Shell. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL