The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Lota and Foo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Desertbird
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Desertbird
Does anyone here use Lota bowls or Foo cans?

If so, are Foo cans better for smaller, closer groups, whereas Lota bowls have a better effect when on stage?

I've been thinking about adding a Lota bowl to a few of my acts, but am hesitant to use it for my smaller groups where someone may ask to examine the bowl. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Ash
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
The lota bowl itself can be obvious BUT with a great routine can be a Hit on your show!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you want a close-up Lota Bowl that CAN be examined (because it is just an ordinary bowl), check out my Mini-Mysteries section (on my site) and look for Book 2 - "Rice Bowls - Past and Present." A section of that e-Book discusses using a new principle to perform an ungimmicked Lota Bowl routine, with the additional advantage of not having the liquid being poured diminish in any way, and being able to pour multiple liquids from the same bowl- coffee, beer, milk, etc.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I use both the Lota Bowl and the Foo Can, but in seperate routines. Also, they are only used as part of the routine. I think which one is best depends on what you want to do with them. In either situation the audience should not expect to be allowed to examine them.
Mister Mystery
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
The Foo Can and the Lota Bowl
are totally different props which perform totally different effects,
and with totally different methods,
they are not interchangeable things.

They are generally stage props,
some work well for a “parlor” setting,
but neither are great close-up items.

They are considered “utility props”
meaning they are usually not effects themselves,
but rather fit into a larger routine and enhance that magic.

As said above the presentation, premise, and routining
are the most important aspects to using them,
when used correctly (to multiply water or vanish water)
they will not arouse suspicion or requests to be examined.

There are many models available at a wide price-range,
there are some wonderful pottery lota bowls/jars for bizarre work.

Magically,
Walt
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
The problem with small is small output. the method is the same for the most part but there is a half life after the first pour... that can be the issue.
So the more water it can hold the more realistic each pore.

As far as asking to examine in closer situations, it rarely comes up.
HOWEVER be aware, US Toy sells a magic trick assortment with small plastic jug. Don't worry, it is garbage and does not work well at all. the design is different but the principle is the same.
I have used a great bowl for years but had some kid at a camp explain it to others. Later he said he had it in a magic set. Sure enough there are a few kits out there that do have a round jug/bowl that works the same but in plastic.

So one can not fault them it is not their job to keep secrets. You wish it would not happen but it does. Best to find something that does not LOOK like what is in the magic sets.
However I have seen and used the bowl I have and had great reactions after each pour. More than less do NOT know how it works AND if you do it well, learning HOW to make it seem like the same amount is coming out each time, you will confuse those who will never get that result from the plastic version.

It is great and amazing how just changing the look of a prop will short circuit their minds even if it works the same.

I will say that I have to not have the audience see into the bowl when pouring.
If too close the black interior on mine will not be as deceptive and one could see it is not as it would be if it wasn't "special".

I am spoiled. I have and use a P&L Lota and the closely matched Sherman and really can not go to anything currently made. If you want to see the shape see this old closed auction. https://www.ktmagic.com/Auction/APViewItem.asp?ID=3020

Both were solid copper and round shape with small flare rim in compared to what they put out in aluminum from Morrisey. Its design is deceptive in how much it holds. Right around the time I bought mine, there was a guy on ebay jacking up the price so more put theirs up. he would bid on them and then resell for more.
Back in 1996 I think I saw one for $175. Back in 2007 some went for only $140 which is steal today. I paid $300 for mine but also have one the original blue bags that it came in. Funny, I think he said he was a dealer and in the 60's they sold for $18.

There is a small P&L lota vase available for $175 (smaller than the bowl) http://oldmagicprops.com/itemsPage3/itemPLLotaBowl.htm But 6 shots might be a stretch. There is a difference between a shot and a good shot. Once any lota starts to get low on water it less impressive.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I use mine as a Flower Vase!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Shane Baker
View Profile
New user
nigh on 20 years and I've made a measly
81 Posts

Profile of Shane Baker
Actually, a Foo Can can... just a minute, let me rephrase that.

One can use a Foo Can to get the same effect as a Lota Bowl and even control the pour size, unlike with the Lota. But the Lota can't do all that the Foo Can can. D***it, there I go again. Foo Can's easier to dry out/clean up, as well.

Gene Gloye has some very interesting suggestions for the Foo Can in his book "Theatrical Magic".

Best,

Shane
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
I have a an original Rings and Things Lota Jar from the 70's. It still looks and works great.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
If you do the running gag of water from the bowl, either will work and the effect is identical.
I have done the lotta bowl since the 80's, I got the routine from Presto Johnson who used the foo can.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On 2009-06-08 08:22, Spellbinder wrote:
If you want a close-up Lota Bowl that CAN be examined (because it is just an ordinary bowl), check out my Mini-Mysteries section (on my site) and look for Book 2 - "Rice Bowls - Past and Present." A section of that e-Book discusses using a new principle to perform an ungimmicked Lota Bowl routine, with the additional advantage of not having the liquid being poured diminish in any way, and being able to pour multiple liquids from the same bowl- coffee, beer, milk, etc.

Thanks for the tip! Ordered the e-book. I am developing an alchemy routine that uses this principle and the rice bowl plot in a new way.

Best wishes

Dr T
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
The ebook is very nice indeed with lots of ideas for anyone wanting to use regular crockery Smile

The price is very reasonable.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
There is a small P&L lota vase available for $175 (smaller than the bowl) http://oldmagicprops.com/itemsPage3/itemPLLotaBowl.htm But 6 shots might be a stretch. There is a difference between a shot and a good shot. Once any lota starts to get low on water it less impressive.

I got one of these in a lot of antiques I bought several years ago. They work well with a small shot glass, especially the kind that are thick glass with a bubble like inside chamber. Not sure the name of the glass, but it looks like it holds way more than it actually does. I didn't often use it, but when I did it worked well as a running gag. Spacing out the pours seems to negate the fact that each subsequnet pour was a little less than previous.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Lota and Foo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL