The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Act enhancement (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VincentLee
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of VincentLee
Recently I am reading "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy"
getting to digest and enhance my mental Act, I feel strange of Mentalism
follwing questions I want to ask and hope the answer can clear my mind.

Q1. before I was start with Psychological Forces when I perform to around 2x people, but for my little group right now (around 8-12people) I alway open with: [i can influence people as well as physical objects] and then I start my Sliverware routine, but sometime I don't think my audience feeling interest about that. (i alway use Spoon more than Fork, I don't think this is the main problem, but how can I start perfectly? or except "Banachek Sliverware" anymore good sources?)

Q2. is a Book Test routine needed in a show? actually I alway play Three Envelope routine for my main course, but between my opening and Three Envelope routine, anyone have something not alike of Book Test?

Q3. I alway end with my Coinvexed (a Bend Coin effect works in audience hands) this is my perfect routine with my story telling, and I think Coinvexed echo for my opening. if my focus is Coinvexed, any relation effect is good for that?

Q4. could any expert of you have extra idea?

I am not going to be different, just want to be special~

Best Regards
Vincent
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
You need to build up the mystery! I have model for psychological effects and it goes something like this:

1) Rapport and Induction (Telling a story to get the audience in a trance, making sure the audience likes you from the start)

2) Cold reading / Observation / Forcing / Lying routine (This has 2 purposes. One is to "admit" to the skeptics that there is nothing paranormal about what you're doing. The other is to suggest to the believers that there is something more going on. I like bank night as an opening routine. Osterlind rocks!)

3) Telepathy / Mind Reading (Increasing the effects. Again making sure you have something to say that will calm down the skeptics! Watch Derren for examples of this! He will say things like "It's not psychic, it's rapport". Things along those lines are great!)

4) PK / TK Effects
The way I present TK / PK is like this: The TK / PK routines are done under the guise of a hypnosis routine. Some people will argue with each other after about what they saw, or if they were hypnotized. This is the way I do it and it works great! It gives the intellectuals some incorrect solutions which they often very desperately need. Sometimes people are more impressed with the idea that what they saw was a hallucination. This is how I end my shows. I don't tell them I'm hypnotizing them, I let them come to either conclusion - psychological or paranormal - either one is a success in my book.

I hope this helps!
- Dan
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
For what it is worth I feel that a book test, unless handled well, is not needed at all. Bank Night, already mentioned by Dan, is a very strong routine, with built-in audience involvement. I find Osterlind's presentation a bit cold, but his method is spot-on.
Max Maven has a trick called Contimental in one of his DVDs which is well worth considering in place of a book test. Basically someone thinks of a European destination they would like to fly into, and you tell them what it is. It has the benefit of being propless.
The one thing that strikes me is that you open with bending a spoon and close with bending a coin. Both these effect for me are magic rather than mentalism (I know most of you will disagree) and they take from what comes in between.
I tend to use Bank Night as an opener, but you could just as easily use a tossed-out deck. That has a very high impact on an audience, and has plenty of scope for comedy. Check out Wayne Dobson's handling.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Although I agree with what Tony has said, avoid contimental as it is, it does not always work - Iceland, Greece and several other countries are missing.

The whole 'influencing' thing is getting a little stale in my opinion, but regardless the concept of 'influencing an object' just seems too unbelievable to me, that may be where you are going wrong.

You have to remember, when you do something like that presented like that, you are challenging peoples beliefs and knowledge of how the world works, and to get them to come along on the ride with you, you need to bring them into the experience gradually. Opening with a spoon bend makes you a magician - unless that is the only thing you do.

Also, how much acting are you putting are you putting into it? If you make it look easy, then again, you are just a magician doing tricks. Make it look hard, make it look like it drains you, and leave it until last. I think you will get a much better reaction.
People who say you should do your strongest piece first are wrong.

As for Q2, why do you want to do booktest? Because you have a great presentation for it, and you think it would be a worthwhile part of your show, or because everyone else does one?
If it is because everyone else does one, then don't do it. What others do is not important. You are creating YOUR show.

And do the spoon bend OR the coin bend. Not both. It's almost the same piece twice. Too similar. I know we as performers see huge differences, but audiences do not see such a big difference.

That is my opinion. Good luck with your decisions!
VincentLee
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of VincentLee
Quote:
On 2009-06-12 04:29, TonyB2009 wrote:
For what it is worth I feel that a book test, unless handled well, is not needed at all. Bank Night, already mentioned by Dan, is a very strong routine, with built-in audience involvement. I find Osterlind's presentation a bit cold, but his method is spot-on.
Max Maven has a trick called Contimental in one of his DVDs which is well worth considering in place of a book test. Basically someone thinks of a European destination they would like to fly into, and you tell them what it is. It has the benefit of being propless.
The one thing that strikes me is that you open with bending a spoon and close with bending a coin. Both these effect for me are magic rather than mentalism (I know most of you will disagree) and they take from what comes in between.
I tend to use Bank Night as an opener, but you could just as easily use a tossed-out deck. That has a very high impact on an audience, and has plenty of scope for comedy. Check out Wayne Dobson's handling.

the trick "Contimental" by Max Maven, I love it. but it seems hard to performby Chinese & Cantonese ><
but thanks for your opinion, I will try "Bank Night" for my opening on my next show, let see what I get^^
VincentLee
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of VincentLee
Quote:
On 2009-06-12 05:13, psychicturtle wrote:
Although I agree with what Tony has said, avoid contimental as it is, it does not always work - Iceland, Greece and several other countries are missing.

The whole 'influencing' thing is getting a little stale in my opinion, but regardless the concept of 'influencing an object' just seems too unbelievable to me, that may be where you are going wrong.

You have to remember, when you do something like that presented like that, you are challenging peoples beliefs and knowledge of how the world works, and to get them to come along on the ride with you, you need to bring them into the experience gradually. Opening with a spoon bend makes you a magician - unless that is the only thing you do.

Also, how much acting are you putting are you putting into it? If you make it look easy, then again, you are just a magician doing tricks. Make it look hard, make it look like it drains you, and leave it until last. I think you will get a much better reaction.
People who say you should do your strongest piece first are wrong.

As for Q2, why do you want to do booktest? Because you have a great presentation for it, and you think it would be a worthwhile part of your show, or because everyone else does one?
If it is because everyone else does one, then don't do it. What others do is not important. You are creating YOUR show.

And do the spoon bend OR the coin bend. Not both. It's almost the same piece twice. Too similar. I know we as performers see huge differences, but audiences do not see such a big difference.

That is my opinion. Good luck with your decisions!

thanks for your reply, I really think Spoon Bend & Coin Bend quite similar. but for my Act, Spoon Bend is for fun and let them know I have those Mental Power, the last Coin Bend is I can transfer the power to them and I cant find a effect end with a souvenir like "Coinvexed"?

I know that I am creating My show, but the key factor I was concern, can it get a good result if I change too much.
like normally mental book mention the opening is better for fast, the ending better for memorize. so I want to know if not Book Test, is any good idea is good for me between the show if I want to end with my "Coinvexed"?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Act enhancement (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL