The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Blackstones Floating Light Bulb (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is confusing though how this is in the "street Magic" forum. It is far from that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2006-02-19 16:03, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is confusing though how this is in the "street Magic" forum. It is far from that.

My guess is that many of the people who are interested in what they call "street magic" are very young and/or new to magic. Probably got the bug after seeing either Blane or Angel do tricks on the street on television. Anyone who has studied magic for more than a few weeks would know that Blackstone's Floating Light Bulb would not be possible outdoors in an impromptu-style presentation. Maybe in the middle of nowhere, on the darkest night of the year in a heavy fog!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I guess so Randwill.

and after all this is the place to ask questions
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
David Rysin
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of David Rysin
Yes I understand this topic was made almost 3 years ago...however I was doing some research on the Floating Light Bulb and stumbled across this...

In 1985, on the 100th anniversary of his father's birth, Harry donated to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C. the original floating lightbulb - designed and built by Thomas Edison - and the original Casadega Cabinet, used in the aforementioned "Dancing Handkerchief" illusion. It was the first ever donation accepted by the Smithsonian in the field of magic.

http://www.magicwebchannel.com/hall_blackstoneJR.htm (third to last paragraph)

So luckily it wasn't smashed by some jerk in the front row...

~David
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
Wonder if a dancing cane kinda hook up would work for a street effect if the bulb could move like the cane it would look prety cool (maybe if the bulb was plastic and the T****D went through from top to bottem) maybe for a fast routine. I may play with this idea, it sounds interesting
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
What made so much of Uncle Harry's and Harry, Jr.'s magic work was a boldness. Most other magicians would be very hesitant to do in front of any audience some of the very things that made the blackstone illusions work. Someone mentioned the fact that they were willing to take the risk, well that is true, it was the Blackstone style. When Uncle Harry showed me how he did a few things and Uncle Pete showed me some riggings, I was amazed that they ever got away with it. The Duck Inn was one of the most bold as was the tire illusion (harry sr's tire illusion, harry jr, used a different method). But it worked. They both proved many times that if you act like you know what you are doing, and understand the audience doesn't know what you are doing, you can really get away with a lot.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Ryan_B_Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Sugar Grove IL
244 Posts

Profile of Ryan_B_Magic
I did see criss angel perform this effect on Tv did anyone else see this did he use the same method that blackstone used
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I've never seen Criss perform on TV (I have seen a clip or two on Youtube does that count) and saw a video of two of his escape segments so I can't help you there. I did see Criss when he was doing his Goth stage show (over 10 years ago!). It was not part of that show.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Harry Jr. was one of my favorite magicians. Unfortunately, I never got to see him perform live, I have however met with Gay several times and she's an absolute sweetheart. That familiar clip on YouTube of Harry doing the light bulb has one of my favorite moments in theater. While in the audience, he makes that great remark, "And now may I show you....a miracle!" After floating for a few moments, as he grabs it from mid-air he slyly smiles and winks to someone in the audience. I always thought that little things like this that really make a great entertainer.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Yes Criss did perform a floating lightbulb effect on Mindfreak (I think it was season 2...but I could be wrong). It wasn't street magic though. It was in a lighting store.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I doubt that Cris did Harry Jr's method, which was an advancement on Harry Sr.'s. Gay would have said something about it if she had licensed it out to him. There are numerous floating lightbulb methods out there.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
AVLD
View Profile
New user
London
5 Posts

Profile of AVLD
Hans Klok uses the Blackstone Floating Light Bulb in his show 'The Beauty of Magic'. He has permission to do the Illusion ( and it is supplied ) by Gay Blackstone. He started to use it in his 'Faster Than Magic' European tour last year, then in the Las Vegas 'The Beauty of Magic' and is currently performing it on his new tour of Holland and Germany which has just started. I am the lighting designer for the show, and it is always a tricky illusion to get right ( lighting wise ), but it is really worth it. Gay visited us in Vegas to help Hans. It was great to meet her and learn from her experience with the illusion.

On the Vegas show, Hans was even able to come off the stage into the audience for part of it.
mikefallen
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of mikefallen
Indeed what cris angel did, was not the floating light bulb performed by harry blackstone. I wish I could get a copy of blackstone sr. performing it! I only have a few pictures. I do own a very old booktel with amazing photos of hayy sr. performing on stage (illusions like levitatin a lady, dancing hanky and much more) but not even one of him floating the light bulb! It was a different presentation of harry jr.
I think the floating over the audience could be something "bold" but it stayed forever on people`s minds!
There is a short clip on youtube by the name "blackstone comes home" where I think that one can see harry sr. floating the bulb... it is a very short clip and not good quality but in color! I feel somewhere, someone has a footage of it...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
murray
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of murray
Back around 1946 I saw Blackstone (Sr.) perform the Floating Light Bulb in his full-evening performance at the Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia. Many years later, I saw Blackstone, Jr., do his improved version -- with the bulb flying way out into the auditorium -- in Boston. The latter is one of the two illusions I've ever seen on stage that literally brought tears to my eyes. (The other was David Copperfield's "Flying," which he did in one of his appearances at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.) One of the things that struck me about Blackstone, Jr.'s performance was how eerily like his father's was in routining and script, down to even the "bzz" he made when handing the bulb to one of the spectators. And Blackstone, Jr.'s introductory line, "This is something you'll remember the longest day you live" -- a line that, so far as memory serves me, was word-for-word what his father said (although possibly for a different routine).

(I have nothing to add about street performance, which obviously unlikely if not impossible for this routine.)
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Blackstones Floating Light Bulb (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL