The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Wow! Talk About "Dual Reality" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
It's amazing how two people in the same audience can have entirely different perceptions of events -- even when I don't intentionally try to create that situation.

Check out the top two reviews of EXACTLY the same performance of Supernatural Chicago last Friday. One guest posted on June 15th and I was depressed. Another guest posted on June 17th and I'm still bouncing off the walls. Incredible!

http://chicago-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Sh......ois.html

Best,
Neil

P.S. If you haven't seen the show video, it's here --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUgAfuh1tIo
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I enjoyed your reply to the post Neil.

The second post really placed the first in proper context.

At least for me reading it.

Best,

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
I think the clip is great! Don't let those people let you down, you're doing a great job.

- Dan
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Again this proves or disproves the idea that there are no bad audiences. Each person has their own take on things no matter what the performer does.

I've done theater for many years. I've been in plays where one night the audience loves everything we do and the next night they hate it. Nothing changed but the people in the darkness.

I know some say that it's probably the actors themselves changing bits here and there, but then why do audiences watching a film see and have different emotions. The film is set in stone. Nothing changes from reel to reel yet one group will laugh at everything and the other will sit stonefaced and leave with a bad taste in their mouths.

What changed? The group sitting in the darkness, not what was playing on screen.

Unfortunately bad performers sometimes use the excuse that it's the audiences' fault, but usually that's someone who never performs well so they have to take it out on someone.

In your case Neil, it was just one person's opinion. They like things you don't like. Leave it at that and move on. If group after group comes in and doesn't like what you are doing then maybe it's time for a change, but if you get a bad review every once and awhile then chalk it up to one person's taste.

Don't sweat it and keep doing what you are doing.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
f group after group comes in and doesn't like what you are doing then maybe it's time for a change, but if you get a bad review every once and awhile then chalk it up to one person's taste.

That's one option.

You might want to keep your show the same and instead change your marketing... to attract "better" audiences. Perhaps you need to move to a bigger city, or find a different venue where there are enough people to run a financially successful show with people that appreciate the presentation you have (hopefully artistically) crafted.

Maybe you could craft a 2nd show. You refer to it as your 'sellout show.' With it, you could abandon your artistic integrity and instead cater to the whims of the public at large. Including a "spike" effect is a common choice for these types of shows.

This way you can continue your artistic endeavors without compromise, yet cover your losses and keep the larder stocked with your income from the sellout show.

Although this approach my appear extreme, it has the hidden benefit of allowing you to retain the title of "full time working pro". Which brings me on to another thought... I think in future when describing a the 'full time working pro' the title should be prefixed with the performers net income. There is a big difference between the full time working pro that is bringing home $10,000 and has a perchant for plain rice for dinner and he who brings home $200,000.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If you look at all the reviews you will see that the overwheling view is very favourable for the show.

Perception is a strange thing. I have watched films in the cinema and hated them. And then watched them a year later on DVD and loved them. It can depend upon what mood you are in.

Also ther was research done where a large group of people were split into two. One half were given a warm drink to hold (coffee). The other half were given a very cold drink to hold. They all mingled. After the event they were all asked questions about the people in attendance.

The people holding the hot drinks all said positive a favourable things about most people and the event. While the ones holding the cold drinks were much less favourable.

People are fickle and perception is weird.
LukeB
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of LukeB
People always seem more lovable when your drinking coffee;)
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
There's always one group that will never be satisfied no matter what you do. From reading those reviews though they are definitely in the minority!

I like the way you handled the response too. Classy but to the point.

Luke
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Hmm, Personally, I feel that the rebuttal of the negative post was both unnecessary and unprofessional. Might as well have just deleted the post.

The reviews were meant to be just that. One person's review of his or her experience. If that is how they felt, then they are entitled to have that opinion and to not have the performer come back and tell him that his opinion is wrong or in the minority.

If he felt the stories were tired and timeless, then they were... to him. Nothing to argue here. That's his opinion. Let him have it. Let other's disagree with him and let the other reviews show that his opinion is in the minority. The performer, the venue, or anyone related to the production should NOT be telling him his opinion is wrong, in anyway.

Just MY opinion. Smile
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Jim, Daniel, Shield: Thanks so much for the kind words.

Greg: I appreciate your voice of experience and the pep talk. Thank you.

David: Overall, the show is very well received, so I don't think I'll be changing things up right now. Thanks.

Mindpunisher: Great story! Maybe I should have my audience drink hot glog instead of cold beer.

Tmoca: I hope my response didn't come off as overly defensive. In general, I have no problem with differing opinions; you'll see that I have not responded to any of the other less-than-positive reviews of the show that have been posted. It's when potentially harmful inaccuracies are stated as fact -- shills are used, audience members are treated poorly -- that I felt the record needed to be set straight. And as long as I was writing, I addressed some of the less important points that I would ordinarily have left alone. Did I overdo it?

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Neil,

No I do not feel that you overdid it. However, regardless of what you say, I personally feel as a performer, writer, producer, actor, whatever, if we have to respond to someone's negative view of our work, it only makes us seem like we are on the defensive. I feel it's kind of like telling everyone that if your opinion is not to my satisfaction then I have to set the record straight.

The question of stooges being used, I feel crosses any intelligent person's mind at some point in many different kinds of "supernatural" performances.

So, do I feel your reply was over done, no. It was tasteful, again, I just personally feel it's not the creators job to respond to ones opinions, let the masses reply and give their opposite opinions and let that speak for you.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Very interesting, Neil, thanks for tossing these up for us to see (the links).

I actually think Davit makes an excellent point. It's never going to be black and white but focused marketing is always a good idea.

Greg also makes some excellent points even if he doesn't actually derive a conclusion from them. I mean, you can't get much more in terms of vacillation than "Again this proves or disproves the idea that there are no bad audiences." His post is excellent none the less.

Lem
carmean
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of carmean
Excellent post. Shows clearly how fickle and weird people really are.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
As a professional, you are doing the usual - always seeking to improve and get sensitive about the 3% negative feedback versus the 97% positive... you are a human... so, tis OK.

Reality is, some people come to a presentation without a clue what they are coming to despite being told a gazillion ways what to expect. These people usually cause headaches for many.

On the flip-side, all feedback is worthwhile chewing on. "Perfection is a road we walk upon - not a destination"... from Chun, Master of Sinanju
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
I think what you guys are trying to say is that some people like stuff and some people don't. Thanks.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Great quote, Dr. Spektor. Thanks!

Kevin, I appreciate the simplicity of "some people like stuff and some don't," but I think there's a little more going on in this instance.

Best,
Neil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Wow! Talk About "Dual Reality" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL