The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reasons to Write Something Down (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
Here is how I obtain the information by means of Acidus Novus: I hope you enjoy it!

The spectator is instructed to write down the name of someone close to them on the back of a business card. It is made clear that is must be someone with a close emotional bond. This will greatly facilitate the
Cold Reading portion of the reveal. After instructing the spectator to fold up the paper, the spectator often instinctively tries to hand me the folded up business card. Instead of taking it immediately, I deliver the following script in preparation for Acidus Novus.

"What is a thought? A thought is vapor, air, aether. It doesn't really exist in the physical world! A thought can become reality if you do one of three things: You say something, you can create something, you can also write it down. This makes it something physical, something even more real. I ask people to write it down for a few reasons, and this is important. First, it's going to be the proof you need if anyone doubts you. Now look, you can clearly see that... ... Note: Final part omitted as to not expose the move."

I grab the piece of paper and perform the move. I learned it from Wayne Houchin's stigmata if anyone wants to know. The move is great and I've never, ever been caught. Acidus Novus rocks! IMO better than using a ****** t*** because you can leave your card. To perform it a second time if absolutely necessary, I would then do a ****** t*** with a napkin since I don't want to use up all my business cards! Smile

- Dan
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
Millard Longman's work can be found in the book "THOUGHT READING WITH BILLETS", here is a link from google: http://www.mevproshop.com/acidus-novus.html

- Dan
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
Oh, I forgot an important point! I sometimes intentionally miss it if it's a strange name, or something stupid they wrote. I'll say something close-sounding or describe imagery, perhaps even humiliating them by saying I'm getting disgusting thoughts, and you can really take this far if you need to... Once it's written, there's no un-writing it. So if he or she writes "Balls", well, you can certainly see how you can embarass someone this way. You can also simply say "I don't want to know what he wrote, but I'm sure his wife will be interested to know what's on his mind." This line fits pretty much any sexually related word that could be written. This sort of approach should be milked to it's full potential. By doing this everyone will want to know what is written and you can really play it up. It's up to you!

It's also useful to sometimes say something like "Let me see!" and look at the paper to see what they wrote. If I am "unsure" during the reveal, I should naturally want to check to see if I'm correct.

Sometimes "it's obvious" and I guess it immediately. The idea being that it's not always being presented the same way and hopefully some parts of the later-recalled stories will collide with each other and cancel out.

- Dan
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Very nice Daniel, I like reading things you write about cold reading also, helpful Smile
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
930 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Very nice Daniel, but what is your justification for having to touch the paper again?
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
The justification to grab the paper is to demonstrate / explain about the thickness of the card stock and how you can't see through it. I don't want to expose the move, but essentially this lets me get the information without putting any sort of crease in the card. The heat is reduced if you don't grab the folded paper immediately after they write something down. Another important subtlety is that when I return the folded paper after gaining the information, I make sure to flip it 90 degrees vertically, ensuring the spectator will not accidentally figure anything out.

- Dan
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
You can also demonstrate how you would like them to hold it, by the corner edges and up in the air, so that it will be closed in full view the entire time. Works for me, but I prefer a CT in most situations unless I can justify that locale of the writing in AN. I mostly like the tear for the idea of releasing the thought from the physical realm and enter the metaphysical realm, where all thoughts reside.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
The justification for writing in the correct spot is accomplished by first doing the classic circle / triangle force. I draw a triangle inside a circle in the center of the card. I draw it so it takes up the majority of the space that won't be used for AN. I also draw a line with a "X" in the correct spot. The card is placed face down in the center of the table and the routine begins with the shape force. From there, the experiment builds up. There is nowhere else to write if you do something similar (Write a prediction that takes up the rest of the room). You could also start by writing "NO" in big letters, taking up all the room except for the vital part. Then you can do the old gag: "Do you know what I wrote on the back of this card?". This is how I justify the writing for Acidus Novus!

The circle / triangle force is available in Banachek's Book: Psychological Subtleties Volume 1.
jameme
View Profile
Regular user
Mexico
193 Posts

Profile of jameme
I think is a great justification
well done Daniel
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
Open forum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reasons to Write Something Down (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL