The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mikame x ray Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wardmagic
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of wardmagic
I do some mentalism and was thinking of getting the Mikame x ray box. Any thoughts on performing the effect and what do you think about the angles. Is it good enough for a small crowd of guests? any other performing thoughts?
Thanks
Michael
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Do you know of a link to it?
Gabor
View Profile
Veteran user
Pécel, Hungary
367 Posts

Profile of Gabor
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you.
Gabor
View Profile
Veteran user
Pécel, Hungary
367 Posts

Profile of Gabor
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That one is not available.
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Over a year ago, I'd heard about a locally well-known 'psychic' woman who would travel 'astrally' into a small closed wooden box and then describe the item(s) placed there by 'spectators.'
This description drove my decision to get the X Ray Box. Well made, involving a clever method; I have only actually done this about four or five times. My original thought was that I wanted to use it close up - even perhaps one-on-one, which is what I ended up using it for.
As this is done in a psychic home party or new age shop setting, it requires a reason for having the strange box at hand. I carry a tarot deck in it, pendulum, small scarf to lay cards out for tarot reading.
The box - to my handling - requires that you pick it up two handed and stare at it. Holding and touching the box can fit a 'feeling the vibes' reasoning. I dragged the process out rather long to make it seem realistic. All my test cases were amazed, although I think one of them did, secretly, view it as perhaps a trick. Probably my routining or attitude that time.
The box can be examined, but the lock/unlock mechanism must be set from within the box, so you need to work out your routine for that.
I've considered forcing an object, or having some method of knowing which single object out of five (?) they've chosen to put into the box. Then they also chose some other personal object from their pocket or purse.
That way, I can begin 'getting the image' of the pre-known object very soon after beginning to touch the box. Then, a few moments later - after more touching and turning the box around - I can begin babbling about shapes or colors dimly perceived inside the darkened box and roughly describe their own personal object.
Mostly, for me, it just sits on a side table, waiting. Presently, I have rarely found a situation where I think this is needed to impress someone, but I like to have it at hand, just the same.
Can you think of any question(s), other than it's peek method?
brane
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Brane:

That sounds like a fantastic use, thank you for sharing it.

My only question would be, what are the dimensions of the box?

Tony

Posted: Jul 4, 2009 11:19am
-------------------------------
Never mind, I found it:

The box is 8" wide x 4.5 inches deep and 6.5 inches tall. The load chamber is almost 80 cubic inches.
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
The angles are not too bad. people can look from the front, above, below and almost straight from the sides when the performer operates it.
mike herbert
View Profile
New user
mike herbert
53 Posts

Profile of mike herbert
I have to say that the x ray box looks too much like a magic prop to me....

Mike
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Mike:

I sure understand your point; it is 'strange,' Yet,as this is one of many odd things I have sitting around; an expensive cigar humidor used to store a couple other tarot decks, an elaborate pendulum, a fist sized irregular crystal, a very nice old art deco brass and aluminum candle holder . . this just looks like one more 'exotic' item.
I have been known to comment on the odd 'Japanese style' closure - the tie. "I've never seen anything quite like that; I had to buy it!"
This introduces it, although it's demonstrated purpose is to store things, only later would it get actually used for something.
If anyone has questioned it as some sort of 'trick box,' it's sure never been voiced.
Then again, I'm a 'character,' I even have an eyeball in a jar someplace nearby, so anything goes!
brane
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
You just need a little imagination to explain away the box. The old gypsy lady who sold you your tarot cards pressed it upon you as a case for them. You've used it ever since. It looks a lot classier than a Pelican box.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mikame x ray Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL