The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » A Bible book test? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
If anyone takes any kind of offense to this, Please send me a message & I will remove the topic.

Has anyone ever thought of doing a Bible book test? A lot of interesting possibilities. Smile

Thanx,
Ichazod

There’s a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
JaquaiGul
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
31 Posts

Profile of JaquaiGul
Yes, I performed one for a Christmas program. It involved two Bibles, and two business cards. An audience member, one of the Pastors of the church, and I put the Bibles behind our backs and inserted the cards at random. We exchanged Bibles and looked for the cards. We found them at the page where Micah predicted the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem. Micah 5:2, "But thou, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." Not a normal book test, but based on book test procedures. Smile
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magickdabid--uk
Seen a great one...........

"The Bard & the Bible" by Allan Slaight was in Howard Loyns Ibedem, not sure which volume, but it was also printed in Geinii vol66 number1 jan 03.

not sure how it would fit the Gospel theme, but its a good a place as any to start.

Dave
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
With small New Testament Bibles so readily available (packs small) and the acceptability of the Bibles prominence and authority (plays big), I think I like the pairing very much. As long as there is a Christ centered message that follows the effect I'm rather certain that the Holy Spirit would welcome this obviously entertaining and word spreading effect. I like it. Great way to hand out the Word as well.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Here's a really good ungimmicked version that you can do impromtu at any time. All you need is a Bible.

Hand out a Bible to anyone in the audience. It doesn't matter if it's King James, NIV, etc... and have them select any verse out of the entire book.

Don't ask them to write it down, but rather ask that they picture the verse in their minds eye, as if it were happening right in front of them.

As they do this, you begin to describe a scene filled with fire, fear, and pain, and then all of a sudden you go up in flames and then disappear as if you just went to Hell.

It gets them everytime Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I once saw Penn and Teller do a fabulous one which featured an "Books of the Bible" dartboard which was used to select the book from which then a verse was chosen using giant Dice that were rolled from the back of the audience onto the stage.
The "freely" chosen verse matched the perdiction that was in a jug wine bottle that had been hanging above the stage the whole time.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2005-06-16 18:18, mattisdx wrote:
Here's a really good ungimmicked version that you can do impromtu at any time. All you need is a Bible.

Hand out a Bible to anyone in the audience. It doesn't matter if it's King James, NIV, etc... and have them select any verse out of the entire book.

Don't ask them to write it down, but rather ask that they picture the verse in their minds eye, as if it were happening right in front of them.

As they do this, you begin to describe a scene filled with fire, fear, and pain, and then all of a sudden you go up in flames and then disappear as if you just went to Hell.

It gets them everytime Smile

Can you give us a demo?
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
No problem, I'm currently working on a portable pocket-sized gasoline delivery device so that I can make it appear as if a giant ball of fire engulfes me just before I go up in flames and disappear. I was considering using a flash paper based device, but that wouldn't give me the enormous fireball that I'm looking for.

Once I perfect my gasoline delivery device I'll post a video for all to see.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Check out this old thread where I contributed my thoughts along with some other individuals.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=16

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On 2005-06-16 19:05, Payne wrote:
I once saw Penn and Teller do a fabulous one which featured an "Books of the Bible" dartboard which was used to select the book from which then a verse was chosen using giant Dice that were rolled from the back of the audience onto the stage.
The "freely" chosen verse matched the perdiction that was in a jug wine bottle that had been hanging above the stage the whole time.

I loved that effect. I saw it live and I laughed and laughed...

Ok, I cannot believe that no one else here has mentioned this. Sacred Script by Gordon R. McKenney. Page 178 of Practical Mental Magic. You could use slates or an add-a-number pad. It is a number prediction and or a slate routine and a surprising booktest.

It is a keeper.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2005-06-18 14:59, equivoque wrote:
Ok, I cannot believe that no one else here has mentioned this. Sacred Script by Gordon R. McKenney. Page 178 of Practical Mental Magic. You could use slates or an add-a-number pad. It is a number prediction and or a slate routine and a surprising booktest.

It is a keeper.

In my above post I included a thread to another discussion. In that discussion I refer to "Sacred Script" by stating, "I adapted an idea that I believe was in Anneman's "Practical Mental Magic" for a prediction of a number in a Bible verse that is chosen.

My routining is very different, but the idea comes from "Sacred Script." And you are correct - it is a keeper! I think the concept is brilliant.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Never even thought about the idea but it sounds good
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magickdabid--uk
Take a look at a booklet by Docc Hilford called "The Sign of Four" he suggests using a (very) well known force for a book (type) test using the Gospels......

Dave
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Houdini did! He had a Book Test Bible prepared.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
brooklyn
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of brooklyn
Al Mann produced a replica of the Houdini Forcing Bible in limited quantity. Very rare to find one. It is very strong when used in the right setting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » A Bible book test? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL