The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How lucky was that!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
I was performing Red Hot Mama the other day, in a casual setting with just a few people around a table.

First card selected was the 8S. The second selection was JH. So, while looking for that second card that was supposed to turn red, I ribbon spread the cards on the table.

Perhaps I was drawing out the moment a bit too long, because one of the spectators pick up a random card from the blue spread saying "Here it is!" in fun. I'd downplay that under any other circumstances, but it was actually the blue JH.

He didn't see that yet, so I quickly waved my hand over the card and asked him to turn it over. His facial expression was priceless.

So, I take it from him. I rub it over the red backed card on the table. Then I rub it in the spread, in the place where it came from, while secretly swapping it for the card below, the blue 8S.

Now I am set for the real miracle! I point to the red backed card explaining that we were looking for the RED backed JH. They all protest that it is the previous selection. I ask a spectator to slowly slowly turn it over, while I hold the blue backed card up high so everyone can see the back. There is complete silence as they stare at the upturned red JH.

I let it sink in exactly how impossible this is. Then I ask which card they thought it was. They say 8S of course, and I flip the blue card over in my hand and assume applause position.

So instead of the usual plot of RHM, they see the magician failing at turning the second card red. Then they see a spectator pick a 3rd random card which the magician turns into the 2nd selection, but with the wrong back. They then see the 1st selection turn into the 2nd selection, keeping the red back. The 2nd selection has then turned into the 1st selection still with a blue back.

I packed away the cards after that, no way to top it. If I had not understood the potential of the situation when the spectator picked up one of the blue cards, the effect would have failed then and there. But by great luck (it was the 2nd selection) and moving quickly, I turned it into a true miracle. It was just so clean that there is no way I could have manipulated those cards. It was a clean two card transposition of the faces, where different backed cards helped cement the fact that the cards were not simply swapped.

These were some of my colleagues, and several days later I overheard them describing this to other people.

So, even if a spectator surprises you by doing something that may ruin the effect, keep in mind that you may be able to turn it around to an even greater effect.

I enjoyed that so much, I just had to share it. Hope the events are clear from my description Smile

Michael
acuster
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of acuster
That is a great story! I can only hope I luck into a situation like that. A real prestige builder Smile.

Andy
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Very cool Michael!
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
I have a story like that but its a bit less lucky Smile
actually I messed up a control but the selection went on top. automatic ambitious card... people freaked out. but this is not extraordinary since my manipulations were messed up, and a real ambitious card is way better looking ^^
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
You are very lucky!

It always feels good when something like this happens.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How lucky was that!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL