The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Maximizing Business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What are some methods you use to maximize you business?
We were discussing that a few years ago:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
It seems to me that what worked for me before the current recession is just not working now. There are still people "out there" who have the money to spend, but it is going to take more creativity to reach them. What I am finding works is to be more pro-active as opposed to static in my marketing. For example, I needed to go to the "Wishing Well" store (party supply store) nearby to pickup a couple of items for a magic class which I am teaching this month. While I was standing in line to pay for the item I needed, a mother was in line with two 9 or 10 year old boys who were being loud and pushing each other etc. It was obvious they were bored and wanted to be somewhere (anywhere) else. I caught the mother's eye and said "Here is something which will keep your two boys occupied." I then handed her two of my brochures. The brochures are a pamphlet of magic tricks which I made up at Kinkos from some 'Ed Harris' copy. (I purchased the Ed Harris copy & rights from Eric Paul by the way) Inside the pamphlet were coupons for a discount for my magic show. The mother handed the pamphlets to the two boys and they were very happy about getting some free magic. They opened the pamphlets and the coupons dropped on the floor (just like I wanted). The boys read the coupon and exclaimed "yae! A coupon for a magic show!!" They boys then asked me "Are you a real magician?" I said "Yes I am". They asked me to do a trick, I did a trick and they were even more excited. There was no need to say anything more. The mother left and that was that. I would call that a pro-active marketing approach. The only thing I might have done better would have been to get her name and number, but that would have been a bit forward for me.

Well, it was time now for me to check out. As I was paying, the check-out person said, "So you are a magician?" I said, "Yes I am." As she was giving me my change, I took one of the one dollar bills she gave me in change and did a slight of hand bill switch (the one that does not need a TT) and produced a mismade bill. Her jaw hit the floor and she tried to call over another sales clerk so I could do it again, but we were interrupted by a customer who needed help at the balloon counter and she left shrugging her shoulders. I left one of my business cards near the cash register where she would find it when she came back and I left the store.

In a day or two I will go back there and if the cashier recognizes me I will follow through with a request to leave my magic show information there in some form. If she does not recognize me I will remind her of my past visit.

The point I am trying to make here is that I am being very pro-active and when I can I am doing some magic on the spot (kind of like a free sample you get at the mall) and then I am handing out something with my contact information on it. I like the Ed Harris brochures because it is something of perceived value that will most likely not be thrown away. I carry a bunch of these where ever I go.

I am getting bookings from this. I hope this helps........

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Maximizing Business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL