The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A practical vanishing glass as an opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I'm looking for a practical vanishing glass. The glass I want to use is a standard bar glass.

I'm hoping to use it as an opener for table hopping. I would go up to the table, ask if anyone there had asked for an extra glass, when they say no I can just make it vanish and then introduce myself. At that point I'm hoping they will be much more inclined to see my act.

Obviously no lapping could be involved. The only references I have for a vanishing glass for these circumstances is the Pendulum Hold-out by Tommy Wonder, and a topit vanish from a Patrick Page video. I like one I saw on youtube by Cellini, but I don't know where it's published.

Obviously as an approach for a table if they do actually want the glass I should be able to give it to them instead of it being attached perhaps by fishing line.

Or perhaps I should think of a more practical object to use for a vanish? I know Arthur Trace has an appearing spoon routine, but I don't know how well it would work for this situation as I have never seen it.
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
So, what's wrong with using a Toppit? I think it is perfect for what you want to do.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
It's been a while since I picked it up but I believe Jim Pace's Restaurant Handbook has a nice wine glass vanish. From what I remember however, you couldn't actually hand it to the guests at the restaurant. Still, it was a nice vanish.

On a side note, I don't think that doing a trick before you introduce yourself is going to make a person that doesn't want to see magic more inclined to do so. If they don't like magic then they don't like magic. Actually it may backfire on you, if you do a trick they don't like and maybe they would have been interested then that's going to blow your shot. I've always found the best approach is just to smile, introduce myself, chit chat and then ask if they'd like to see a show.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Well that's been my approach for years and the more I do it the more I realize that most people like magic and those who are weary of seeing magic are usually more inclined to want to see more after they see the first trick. They just don't know what to expect. And sometimes there are people who truly don't like magic and will turn me down anyway (the horror!), so in that case I really have nothing left to lose. There's nothing wrong with testing out new approaches, especially if they end up working in my benefit.

And as for the Jim Pace version I forgot all about it. I'll go check that out right now. And the only problem with a topit is I don't have one installed in my new jacket and I'm doing what I can to make sure I don't use anything that will sag down my jacket. Although, maybe I should try it before I knock it.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Not sure if the Vanishing & Appearing glass would work for you, but I love using it:

http://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/inc/pro......tem=7716

"This special GLASS appears or vanishes within the blink of an eye!

Made from a very special plastic which allows the GLASS to be pushed flat or expand into full size within half a second! Many different productions and vanishes are possible.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
Michael Ammar has a vanishing glass in The Magic of Michael Ammar. It's impromptu, all you need is a stemmed glass and an opaque handkerchief.
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Cellini effect should work. It is in Cellini The Royal Touch.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Bruce Meyers
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Bruce Meyers
Quote:
On 2009-07-16 08:50, Review King wrote:
Not sure if the Vanishing & Appearing glass would work for you, but I love using it:

http://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/inc/pro......tem=7716

"This special GLASS appears or vanishes within the blink of an eye!

Made from a very special plastic which allows the GLASS to be pushed flat or expand into full size within half a second! Many different productions and vanishes are possible.

--------------

This Vanishing and Appearing Glass is one that I'm considering in a production act I'm working on which several items will appear from a bag. I'll be performing it on stage and at banquets. The same company also markets Vanishing and Appearing Coke Bottles and now a Vanishing And Appearing Pitcher. Here is the page with these items on their website http://trickproduction.com/stage/index.html

I have three questions which I would very much appreciate input on:

1. For the bottles which is more realistic, the empty or painted cola version?

2. What are your experiences with these items?

3. Have you seen their pitcher, have one or know of a video for the pitcher?

Thanks,
Bruce
Aka`aka Loko I Ka Ika A Ke Aloha
[The secrets within me are seen through Aloha]
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2009-07-16 09:35, Irfaan Kahan wrote:
Michael Ammar has a vanishing glass in The Magic of Michael Ammar. It's impromptu, all you need is a stemmed glass and an opaque handkerchief.

And its Great! VERY visual!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
ZoiyaKumar
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of ZoiyaKumar
I think a topit would be the easiest way to go. Or, use a small shot glass and sleeve it.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
You might be able to vanish a glass in Lynetta Welch's (Fabric Manipulations) devils hank - You can vanish a pretty good size object with her version...

However, making something vanish always leaves me cold. I understand you set up ap premise for it, but I ask, wouldn't it more magical to PRODUCE a glass? Especially one that's full of liquid?
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A practical vanishing glass as an opener (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL