The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » HP6 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Van Helmont
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of Van Helmont
Went to see it with my good friend CC (aka The Cure).
Lots of interesting things too see which we can all wisely adapt to our own magic.
That is, if you're not a muggle.
Which I suspect most of you are Smile-

Any thoughts how HP saved modern day magic?
The Epiphany Before Christmas: this day (12/23/13) I leave the Café for good!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Yep, great film, very dark. Lot of interesting ideas, some can be easily adapted to the real world.
For those who didn't notice, there are a lot of common points between the world of Harry Potter and the X-men (X-men being the sci-fi version). For those who like comics, don't miss Neil Gaiman's 1602 (at least the first book). The book makes a really nice link between the superheroes and the world of magicians.
My French book "Compendium Sortilegionis" was about the subject of how HP changes illusionnism for the next decades.
lejon
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of lejon
Aaarrrggghhhh two weeks to wait here...
Van Helmont
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of Van Helmont
I thought the release was worldwide...
Anyway, not too many enthousiasts apparently.

Oh well...
Cruciato to y'all Smile
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Lejon is cursed, but he knows that.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2009-07-17 17:22, lejon wrote:
Aaarrrggghhhh two weeks to wait here...

Well I've got to tell you that in the very end while no one is looking and everything seems OK the ......... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
It was a great movie. Im really facinated about the way the death eaters( and the aurors to in movie 5) flies. When the death eaters turn into a blash energy/smoke thing and the aurors a blue one. That would be an amazing magic effect.
lejon
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of lejon
I finally saw it and I was VERY disapointed.

I have not read the book. so I don't know if to be disapointed with the story or with the screen adaptation.

I feel that a lot of time is spent on the "new sexualty" of the young teenagers while at the same time no time is spent on the story.

I feel that the previous episodes were designed as stand alone stories within the greater scheme, but here there is no story per se, or at most a very simple little plot.

the mystery of the half blood prince is barely touched upon. and barely is even too much. hardly a mytery. a question maybe. I saw "questions" in previous episodes which had better consistence than this "mystery".

very big disapointment, I expected better.

ill go read the book now to get my answers.

Quote:
Im really facinated about the way the death eaters( and the aurors to in movie 5) flies. When the death eaters turn into a blash energy/smoke thing and the aurors a blue one. That would be an amazing magic effect.

special effects were great I admit. but they don't make a story. there are just the "trick". if we were satisfied with just "the trick" we would converse in other sections of the magic Café.

Quote:
On 2009-07-19 06:03, The Curator wrote:
Lejon is cursed, but he knows that.

I do hope I am, as it would explain why I am so disapointed.
at some point in the movie I thaught I saw a hidden duck in the vanishing cabinet, that tells you a lot doesn't it.... Smile
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
xxx
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
As the series of books gets closer to the end,
it becomes more difficult to make the films “stand alones”
they are leading to the series climax (and multiple answers).

And, remember these books were written for children growing into adolescents,
so the awakening of romantic feelings are important (though maybe not to old magicians).

The books also become thicker and longer, therefore more difficult to compact into film time.
I think/hope the last two films based upon the last book, will make the entire journey worthwhile.

And just a reminder about copyright,
though we may borrow ideas or inspiration from the books and movies,
remember not to use anything straight out of the them,
as we do not own the intellectual rights,
and as magicians are aware of the damage rip-offs can do.

Magically,
Walt
Van Helmont
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of Van Helmont
I agree with you lejon, but then, with the possible exception of HP3 (Prisoner of Azkaban), I was ultimately disapointed by all adaptations.
Believe me, once you'll have read the book, you'll be even more disapointed.
Having said this, Walt has a point too.
I enjoy the movies because they are about a world of magicians entwined with ours, but invisible for most.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
I was the same. My girlfriend is obsessed with HP, I made the mistake of booking gold class tickets which involve an electric recliner and a waiter who brings alcohol and food to you during the film. I nearly fell asleep. Soooo comfy.

I could blame it on the above, but really I felt this film was lacking compared to all the others. However, having not read the books (I'm alternative Smile) I assume this movie is more of a bridge to the next two films.

I was disappointed, and the only film that was truly 'magical' to me was the sorcerer's stone. However whenever Gary Oldman and David Thewliss hit the screen I am hooked. So prisoner of azkaban was probably the only other watchable film for me personally.

Luke
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I'm at work on a Pensieve effect as a result of seeing it in this movie, plus earlier ones. Someone creates an original memory known only to him or her. I take my wand and suck out the memory, passing it into the Pensieve. Then a new spectator, chosen by the first, steps forward to look into the Pensieve and can then correctly relate the memory to the audience, verified by the first spectator. It's nothing new to the mentalists, but putting in the special effects of seeing the "memory" whisping out of the first spectator's head into the wand, and then being poured out into a floating Pensieve, plus special lighting effects where the "memories" can be seen on the face of the second spectator as he looks into the Pensieve may make it worthwhile for a Wizard show.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2009-07-23 12:34, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:

And just a reminder about copyright,
though we may borrow ideas or inspiration from the books and movies,
remember not to use anything straight out of the them,
as we do not own the intellectual rights,
and as magicians are aware of the damage rip-offs can do.

Magically,
Walt

I wrote a book in French about the changes HP brings in our audience's mind and perception of magic (Compendium Sortilegionis).
I totally agree with Walt (once again) but there are a lot of concepts - visual and intellectual - that will be useful for us.
There's absolutely no need to copy anything in HP but the most important aspect for us is the existence of a parallel world of magicians and magical artifacts. Ok, it's more easy when you've a gigantic collection of those...
Remember that the X-men/Heroes are the sci-fi versions of HP.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » HP6 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL