The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Are silks silk? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Perry
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Perry
I want to purchase some fabric to make handkerchiefs\ scarves. What do I ask for? I have some store bought “magic scarves” that look almost like gauze. What is it? I am looking for something that takes up very little space. The gauze like stuff offers no concealment when in use( you can see though it).

Thanks Perry
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
The term "silks or silk" is a short form used in magic for "silk handkerchief". That's all really. 'Mostly' a 'silk' was in fact made from pure silk. The reason was that silk unlike cotton has the ability to take a great deal of compression into small spaces and then pop back out into relative fullness once produced. Although they would wrinkle they still maintained lots of play and body, etc.

The term now still generally means a product that is 100% or close to that of silk in the manufacture. But, it is also sometimes used in respect to other silk and something else blends.

The next thing is that 'silk' fabric comes in varous heft or thickness called momme weight. The higher the number the heavier and better the product. A momme weight of 6-8 is fairly common for inexpensive silks on the magic market now days.

In the wonderful days of Rice's Silk King Studios they produced what are still the class to beat. As I remember their silk was in the 16-20 momme area and they lasted with care almost forever.

If you want to make your own silks I would look for something in the 10-15 momme range and see how you like it, etc.

Best,
Brad Burt
Perry
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Perry
Thanks
What weight thread would be good to use for the hem? Or should I use a chemical hem?
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
You will want to use thread and do a good hem job. I would talk to the nice person at the yardage or sewing store. They could tell you what would work well and it need not be Silk thread. Best,
Brad Burt
Perry
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Perry
Thanks for the input. I am helping my 9year old make some of his first props. I think this is putting the magic back in to the magic for me. a little over a year a go I got rebitten by the bug. Now my son wants to learn. To cool. We checked out a couple of books from the library (I have to keep Wilson's my little secret for now).
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Are you any good at sewing? Sewing silk and similar materials requires a certain knack and is really fiddly to do. The hems on hanks of all types is neat and narrow. I think that you will probably end up buying them, you will waste a lot of material practicing to make them.

Do you have a serger (a type of sewing machine)? I think you can do it with a regular sewing machine, but a serger that can do a rolled hem will be much easier. I would suggest getting a few inexpensive mens hankerchiefs, cutting off the hem and sewing a new hem, just for practice, before cutting the silk. It will give you an idea of what you are trying to do. the cotton or cotton/poly blend is much easier than silk.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Perry
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Perry
No I do not have a serger. If we can't make it happen I have a co worker can. I have worked with light cloth befor but not silk.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Quote:
On 2009-07-24 10:26, Perry wrote:
No I do not have a serger. If we can't make it happen I have a co worker can. I have worked with light cloth befor but not silk.

Okay, just a warning. Good luck. Building your own props is satisfying.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
When sewing silk, it is suggested that you place a piece of paper under the silk while sewing. That prevents it from sliding and when done, you can just rip the paper off since it's perforated (from sewing). Also make sure to sew it with a sewing machine when you can. It holds up better and unless it is something that needs some kind of special work then don't hand stitch it.

All the best,
Sam
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Perry,

"Silk" should be real 100% silk. On page 8 of Harold Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic he points out that the best silk is China Silk. Rice had to use Japanese silk because it was illegal in the USA to do business in China during his lifetime. Since 1969, I have been in the import business and I am the magicians' silk importer. (Yes! Professional magicians in Japan use China silk too. We export China silk for magicians in Japan! We export China silk all over the world.)

Today the China hems in good silk are light-years ahead of anything done in the USA with silk. If you need a good silk repair go to someone who has many, many years making high end lingerie and the right equipped sewing machine to do it. Wide thick hems are a dead give away today of an amateur job of silk work. Even pros in dressmaking will tell you sewing good silk is not for beginners. Modern hems are 2mm wide, almost impossible to feel, are straight with good strong square corners, sewn with two separate threads and would likely not unravel even if the threads were removed after hemming. It is not what we had until the 80s. Most silk magic books were written long before then. (Fortunately or unfortunately most of us silk magicians were around long before then too. LOL)

Don't be fooled by momme as a measurement. It is only a measurement of weight and has nothing to do with appearance or quality. In bed sheets you would use thread count as a measure of quality. No such measure is used for silk. You'll have to use your eyes and hands and the opinions of others. (Be very sure they are qualified opinions!)

If price is the problem and you are not ready for pro quality silk, there are options. First, use blends or some non-silk substitute if you can. Buy used good silks (they are still rare). In the silk business there is what we call seventy-five cent silk. Beginners (and some dealers) don't know the difference anyway for a while. It will get you started. (Be very careful not to get them near your good silks when you do upgrade. Store them in a separate plastic bag.) Talk to the real pros. Sometimes they will help a beginner get better quality props. They change show colors, sponsors, etc. and replace their old props too.

I don't think sewing your own is a very good investment. You would probably enjoy doing more silk magic better.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Perry
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Perry
Bob thanks for your input. For a small 9yr old (4'2") what size would be right to do a vanish from a cup toss?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I actually don't know. But an arm's length would be the largest silk I would recommend.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Perry
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Perry
I will start with arms length and go from there. I have done the same effect with paper money but, I haven't worked with silk other than to juggle with. My son seen some silk work at a libary show so we came home with a stack of kids magic books. Thanks Bob for your input.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Perry,

See what Al Angello here on The Magic Café recommends. Al the Juggler would have plenty of experience here.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Perry
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Perry
Bob should I post a question in Catch this if you can? or PM Al
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Perry,

Send Al a Personal message

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......er=16907

Tell him "howdy" for me.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Are silks silk? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL