The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Knots-Off Silk (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Yikes!!

It looks to me like a similar lengthy preset and reset.... finally drove Ade Duval to start smoking his thumb!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeth! THAT wath thum trick! OOOOH sorry (but, not very much!

Do you remember the story about Ade's act in the latter days of vaudeville when it was no longer TWO a DAY???

It happened in England. I can't remember who told me the story (it may have been in a jackpot session at Jay's.) It's too long to write up, unless no one has heard it.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Not really, from the book, Ade's brother, wife, and assistants reset the show. It was more the invention of television that had Ade changing to a smaller patter act.

Probably, other factors as well, like the end of Vaudeville, and needing a show over just a 20 minute act.

Dick, would love to read your story concerning Ade Duval.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I second that notion!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
For anyone that owns the Jeff McBride BEKOS: (Best Ever Knots Off Silk) He suggests cutting holes in the silk. Wouldn't the edges then fray after time? Have any of you done this?
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Yes the edges will fray after a period of time.
Here are three solutions in increasing degrees of detail:

1) treat the edges with clear nail polish. It will stop the fraying but it stiffens the edges a bit and the glue dries a shade darker than the fabric.
2) Buy some fabric paint in the color of the silk. Gently dab the paint just around the edge with a brush or q-tip. When dry, set the paint with an iron .
There are mre detailed directiosn wit the paint and it does not stiffen the fabric and will match the silk's color.
3) Hand roll the edge and sew it down into a flat hem. Takes more time, but the results last years and don't alter the silk's movement or color.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The edge can be also be treated with Fray Check as well (obtained at fabric stores), it does darken the silk a little, but loses it stiffness with use. Don't just use the nozzle to apply, put some in a dish and as JNeal suggests, dab it on very carefully and only on the edge. Might be good to hang it up or place on a surface that will not let any liquid run.

Be careful where you cut the holes as well. You might want to make a sample before working on your silk for the trick.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Good point about the fray check.....
visit me @ JNealShow.com
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the help.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Is Jeff McBrides Bekos dvd anygood, is there one better,
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Nail polish an option?
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
As listed above, clear nail polish works.. But is the least preferred option of the three mentioned.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Nail polish is not without problems. You should never use hand sanitizers before using good silk (color problems) but nail polish is also subject to "events" from solvents (Remember that sanitizers kill germs but leave your hands even dirtier!)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Absolutely Bob! To be entirely candid, the best (but most time consuming way) to deal with the cut edges is to HANDROLL and SEW the edge of the circle(s). It will withstand washing, ironing, and repeated knotting. The one I am currently using is one I made about 8 or 10 years ago. And it is still perfect!

In fact I will be using it as my first trick, in the first act spot...on the first night of the Combined IBMSAM convention in Louisville... NEXT WEEK! I hope to see all of you there!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Looking for two decent 90cm X 90cm red silk, for knots off silk, I live in uk,
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Wally,

I have used them for many years in my stage shows. Ask for the 36" Knots-Off silks when you order. (There are 12 colors available.)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
I am trying to use BEKOS but having an issue. The large silk gets wrapped around the "knot" at its joint. If I carefully guide the process, I can get the figure 8 around the body, but if left to standard handling, 9/10 times the large silk tightens around the joint and locks in place.

McBride says he now makes the knot as on continuous loop to avoid the joint.

Has anyone experienced this problem and found a work around?

Also would like to use a yellow scarf to match an effect. Any ideas on making these knots?

Thanks,
Lynn
dr34
View Profile
New user
Ohio
26 Posts

Profile of dr34
Foxbiz-Pull on the ends to make it tight. It slips easier that way. If I understand your problem correctly. You can even have the spec pull one end of silk to make it tight.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The old defunct magic company, Supreme Magic, credited Silvan for the "Knots Off Silk" effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Knots-Off Silk (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL