The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Broom Levitation (new principle with no base?) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
The book that Ray is referring to was also available from Stan separately (The Broom Suspension - an owner's manual - 1983, Authors - Stan Allen/Kevin James) On page 19 there is a photo of Stan performing in a 1977 Long Island Mystic's show a "Houdin" style version of "the Broom" using a stool and a plank. He also credits Harbin with "suggestions" on the illusion.

The Moretti's also performed their "paper" pole suspension on a board between two stools.

AND...I agree about leaving that last broom standing in the Youtube performence, even more so as the closing shot shows the other broom left leaning against it. Sort of takes away from it???

Blair
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I was lucky in the late 80's... I was performing at an amusment part with a beautiful but troublesome broom suspension built by Martin Eldridge and Associates.. (yes,I'm that old)...

Jon Pomeroy built me a special bracket that I screwed into the stage floor... and I had a broom gimmick permanently built into my floor.. no base!

It made the routine SO much easier and more "spontaneous" looking.. no base carried out.. just a girl in a robe.. and a broom or two.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
The last time I had shop work done I had 3 poles of various heights made, and 3 floor/base flanges, in case the opportunity came of making a permanant installation like this.

Blair
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Quote:
On 2009-07-27 15:33, Ray Pierce wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the base is a weak link in most Broom routines, it's the magician.

To me the weakest link has always been having to lift the assistants legs just a touch higher before you can drop her back down. I know the reason, but there has to be a way to effectively lower without the lift to r______. To me it has always just screamed method.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I do understand that headache. If the "wearable you know what" is adjusted properly you need only lift the hips past the mark and it should be fine. It can be covered with staging.
Ray Pierce
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
When you see the lift you are speaking about it is because there is a lack of understanding as to how the illusion should be performed. Because of this it looks mechanical as you have suggested. Ray is right about the hip. However it is important to place the hand in the same position as when you lifted her. The rest is staging as Ray mentioned.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I imagine if you wanted to spend the money, somemone like Johnny Gaughan could build you a 'no lift' version.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
There was a performer who had a "no lift" model a few years ago. I appologize in advance for not spelling the name correctly. I believe his name is Torrini and he is from Italy.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bill Neff had one that stopped at any point not just the stops. Someone told me the Pendragons had recreated it.

Ray, you are right on the money about the magician being the weakest link.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Thanks Richard... Yes, the Pendragons had one as well which is great unless you stop at 45 and 90 degrees anyway! I know there's was a lot of work and had some other weak links as far as the reset was concerned. My routine justified the specific angles so I was fine with the regular stops.
Ray Pierce
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Got the Stan Allen book with the Bill Smith broom (ours was converted to bamboo pole look) 20 years ago. With some minor tuneups (as suggested in Stans book), it is still working well and regularly. It has been through about a dozen assistants, and we have never had an incident.

I strongly reccomend Bills version. As with much of his work it is sturdy and simplified to the point of being as near to sure-fire as they get.

The base is maybe smaller than most, but the perfect size I finally realized, practical and solid. Besides a paint touch-up, the base has never needed maintennance. We created a dolly that allowed you to pull it onstage with rollers, yet just releasing it in one spot locks everything in position, very useful as having someone carry it on (yes, I've seen that done) is awkward, and draws attention to it with no rationale at all.

With a few cleanings, all of the original parts are in fine shape. A welder/magician friend makes replacement poles on occasion if we need to re-theme for a specific event.

Having wasted time and money for the circa-70's Chinese Model (you KNOW which one) Sword suspension that came to you in several pieces, scratched up and incomplete (Where are the str*ps? How do I make them? What do they look like?!?), the Smith version is one of the best investments I ever made.

Prior to this I've heard many performers complain about the difficulty in using cheaper versions. (Nothing like having an audience watch you struggle lifting a girl for 5 minutes). It's just not worth it. The girl is really up there. Use the best model you can afford. Your reputation DOES rely on it.

Just my experience, and thank you Bill.

-MikeC
Mago Lucas
View Profile
New user
Mozambique
9 Posts

Profile of Mago Lucas
Hello,

Where I can buy that illusion or a old version of Broom Suspension
I will apreciat if you help me, can anser me on my Private or send me a email to, magicolucas@aol.com

Thank you
Mauro Lucas
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
It was mentioned numerous times earlier on in this post where you could obtain one like it. You should contact John Gaughan, or Bill Smith. They are easily found on google.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Broom Levitation (new principle with no base?) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL