The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How many effects do you perform? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Estabrooks
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Estabrooks
I easily get excited about new routines and methods. And I often give into temptation and buy the latest "must have" in the mentalism community. The result being that I'm overwhelmed by far too much information. However, I have not purchased one single effect, book, or dvd for the last couple of months. This after getting some common sense advice from a magician friend of mine. He recommanded to stop purchasing any material before I could perform 8 tricks/routines perfectly. And by that he meant truly PERFECTLY. And that I was really satisfied with my performance of those effects.

So my question for the great mentalists of the magic Café: How many effects are you able to perform perfectly with complete confidence?

Best regards,
Estabrooks
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
There is a famous story, no doubt apocryphal, but the message of which is no less valid. As he left the theater following one of his performances, it is said that the famous magician Will Goldston was approached by a young boy who announced proudly, "Mr. Goldston, I got a magic set for Christmas and now I can do 100 tricks." Goldston is alleged to have replied, "I do six."

There is a message there for anyone undertaking the study and performance of magic.
Dick Christian
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I heard that attributed to David Devant.

There is much to be said about mastering one thing - anything - before moving on. It truly changes how you think.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I currently do 7 routines in my hour-long show.

I am constantly polishing each of those 7 effects.

Every now and then, I will swap out a routine to keep things "fresh" (mostly for me). The last time I did this was to include the excellent "LUNA" booktest (just because it fitted me so perfectly).

As the often-quoted saying goes, "Amateurs perform different tricks for the same audiences; professionals perform the same tricks for different audiences."
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
I will usually perform no more than 5 effects. And that's only if I am doing a more stage style show. If I am doing walk around then 2 to 3 effects per table.

don't over do it. Leaving them wanting more is always the best way to end.

Peace & Love

Matt
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2619 Posts

Makes no difference who said it, or even whether or not the story is true. The important thing is that it makes no difference how many tricks you do, it's how well you do them that matters. One can easily make a handsome living, and a lifetime of performing, with 8-12 classic effects done better than others do them -- if a few of them are original (and good enough to be "classics" in their own right) that's even better.
Dick Christian
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Dick - I wasn't disagreeing with you. And I agree completely with your most recent post.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2619 Posts

Bdekolta,

Didn't mean to suggest that you were. Was simply reiterating what the pros know and the newbies/amateurs are reluctant to believe. It seems to be one of the things we all need to learn the hard way -- and most of us have closets full of the stuff to prove it.
Dick Christian
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
I myself perform 7 effects in my hour-long show.
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2009-07-29 09:30, Dick Christian wrote:
Makes no difference who said it, or even whether or not the story is true. The important thing is that it makes no difference how many tricks you do, it's how well you do them that matters. One can easily make a handsome living, and a lifetime of performing, with 8-12 classic effects done better than others do them -- if a few of them are original (and good enough to be "classics" in their own right) that's even better.

Bravo...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Quote:
On 2009-07-29 09:30, Dick Christian wrote:

Bingo!

In my hour long show, I do 6 effects.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
I have two shows that I do one has seven effects and the other has five. However when I do walk around I have about 10-12 that I often perform, but I will only do two or three to a group then move on.
ravi
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of ravi
Strolling mentalism / close up Mentalism:

7 effects , I will do forever plus 2 or 3 effects that I try out.

R.
I N D R I D C O L E

DEAD AnD GONE
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Ravi,
7 effects in close-up mentalism is a lot !¨
How long do you stay at the table ?
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
After 20 years of study, I know only about 12 demonstrations well enough to perform them for a paying audience. I perform the "best" 5 or 6 demonstrations in my current show. Each demonstration focuses a single mental ability.

The "joy" of being a full-time performer is I no longer have to learn new effects each month to show my friends ... I can put my energy into making the routines I know more entertaining and amazing.

One way I try to make a demonstrations more amazing is structuring the demonstration to have "multiple moments of amazement" ... and then constantly looking for ways to make the demonstration more fun and entertaining for my audiences.

Chuck Hickok
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I used to do five or six, depending on the enthusiasm of the audience, with one held in reserve for any demands for more!

You could do a lot worse and save yourself a lot of money on the latest and greatest by purchasing two excellent books by the author of the post above this one!
ravi
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of ravi
Quote:
On 2009-08-04 07:11, parmenion wrote:
Ravi,
7 effects in close-up mentalism is a lot !¨
How long do you stay at the table ?

No no, never meant I would do all this at one table.

:)

I do about three things at one table. One quick starter, one longer middle trick and a short closer. My encore is something that leaves the spectator with a souvenir. I think this is important. My magic/mentalism has to stay at the table even when I am gone.

Ravi
I N D R I D C O L E

DEAD AnD GONE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How many effects do you perform? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL