The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » SAC Move. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
Hello everyone!

I need your help to learn more about the history of this move guys. I've been playing with a handling for a classic effect whereby I use this one...

Where is it first published? and by whom?

I just learned it from the 'Que Raro!' DVD. If I recalled, there was no reference at all.

Isn't there something from Joshua Jay that is similar?

Thanks for the help! Any related info will be very appreciated!

Alel
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Oz Pearlman included the SAC Move on the Stealing Pips (Penguin Magic) DVD. I do not remember if he sites any references, maybe it is "his" move. Others (on the Genii forum) speculate that it is something Vernon originated and Oz picked up/changed/whatever...

For those that need to know, SAC = Spread Anglejog Concealment.

Alex Elmsley had a similar idea just side jogging cards to conceal them when ribbon spreading. Again I do not remember what he called it and in exactly where he described it (it is somewhere in the Collected Works I guess).

I recently saw Oz Pearlman's DVD on Triumph, he provides the Elmsley reference there, along with many others. If noone else can remember off the top of their head, I will re-visit the Stealing Pips DVD when I am home this evening.

As for Joshua Jay, I honestly haven't seen any of his material. I also didn't see Que Raro! so if this is a different "SAC Move" then I may have misled you.

Either way, I will provide some basic references later today/night.

Michael
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Darwin Ortiz uses this concept after a faro to hide every other card while ribbon-sreading the deck. He credits the idea (in context of the "after the faro" aspect) to Joshua Jay. See Scams and fantasies, p.164.

Martin Nash uses this in his sandwich "Jacks or better" routine. Great application BTW.

Jonathan.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
I remembered seeing a triumph effect use this move as well, and after thinking about it on the way home, I realized it was also Oz Pearlman. This leads to the following references:

Oz Pearlman on the Stealing Pips DVD explains the SAC Move, and says it is based on Tom Gagnons ribbon spread move, along with the Elias shift.

Oz Pearlman on the Triumph DVD under the effect Triumph Transportation uses this principle again, but faro weaves the cards together instead if inserting them to apparently loose them in the deck. This time he is not referring to it as the SAC Move anymore. He credits Alex Elmsley and references The Complete Works of Alex Elmsley (by Stephen Minch). I pulled it off the shelf, and page 338 in Volume 2 describes the "Brainweave" effect where the following credit is given for the move (Oz calls it Elmsleys Brainweave Display):

"The principle underlying this impromptu Ultra-mental
effect springs from a method devised by Chung Ling Soo (ref.
Goldston's Magazine of Magic, Vol. 2, No. 4, July 1915, pp. 111-112).
hi Mr. Chung's trick, the red cards in a standard pack were alternated
with the black cards, and left outjogged very slightly. If you
riffled one end of the staggered pack, only red cards could be seen.
Riffling the other end displayed only black cards.
Mr. Elmsley became intrigued with the principle upon seeing Bob
Bridson demonstrate an improved version of it. Mr. Bridson did not
often mix with other magicians. He preferred to devise tricks in
seclusion, without the influence of others. However, sometime in the
early 1950s, the British I.B.M. held their annual convention in the
seaside town of Southport, and Bob Bridson on several evenings
dropped in after work to visit. During one of these social appearances
he showed Mr. Elmsley how the red cards could be faro-woven
into the blacks and offset widthwise as the halves were pushed into
each other. In this configuration the deck could be ribbon spread
in one direction to display all red cards, while all black cards
appeared if the spread was made in the opposite direction. Mr.
Elmsley recalls that the mechanics of the trick were transparent, but
his imagination was sparked by the principle. From this interest
emerged such creations as "The Fan Prediction" (pp. 29-32) and
"Brainweave"; which brings us to the trick itself."

I hope this helps you a bit further in your quest to understand the history of the move. Notice that the distinction in how the cards end up in the jogged position appears to lead to different credits. This may be important in your application, if so people may be able to offer more specific help if you provide more details.

Michael
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Quote:
On 2009-07-29 11:17, Jonathan P. wrote:
Darwin Ortiz uses this concept after a faro to hide every other card while ribbon-sreading the deck. He credits the idea (in context of the "after the faro" aspect) to Joshua Jay. See Scams and fantasies, p.164.

Martin Nash uses this in his sandwich "Jacks or better" routine. Great application BTW.

Jonathan.

I would bet that the references Stephen Minch provides predates Joshua Jay, and they deal specifically with 'the "after the faro" aspect' as I read it. So, I think this goes to Bob Bridson if we are strict. If the source of this reference was less common I would not object, but I hesitate to think that neither Darwin nor Joshua have read The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley.

:D
Michael
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Maybe they'll drop a comment. Thanks for the research.
Jonathan.
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
Molsen,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge regarding the book and actually sparing your time to type them all out!

I really appreciate it!

Considering the interesting history of this move, what you do guys think this hideout move should be called?

I know it as the SAC Move, but other magicians might know it under another name...
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
It's not a move. It's a concept, and I believe it was well established when Martin applied it in Jacks or Better.

The "move" is how someone applies the concept of the spread hideout.
dai_vernon
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of dai_vernon
The original concept that was the stepping stone for all these ideas is Charles Nyquist's Ribbon Spread Hide-out.

It appears in various and improved forms in the following sources:

Riffle Shuffle Methods - Karl Fulves pg. 31
Apocalypse Vol 1-5 - Harry Lorayne pg. 561
Cy Endfield's Entertaining Card Magic - Part I - Lewis Ganson pg. 25
Cardshark - Darwin Ortiz pg. 46
Scams & Fantasies with Cards Darwin Ortiz pg. 164

Eric
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Didn't Marlo print it in the Heirophant,in a great trick called Delayed Sandwich?
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
Quote:
On 2009-08-03 01:20, wsduncan wrote:
It's not a move. It's a concept, and I believe it was well established when Martin applied it in Jacks or Better.

The "move" is how someone applies the concept of the spread hideout.

I stand corrected.

Quote:
On 2009-08-03 10:50, dai_vernon wrote:
The original concept that was the stepping stone for all these ideas is Charles Nyquist's Ribbon Spread Hide-out.

It appears in various and improved forms in the following sources:

Riffle Shuffle Methods - Karl Fulves pg. 31
Apocalypse Vol 1-5 - Harry Lorayne pg. 561
Cy Endfield's Entertaining Card Magic - Part I - Lewis Ganson pg. 25
Cardshark - Darwin Ortiz pg. 46
Scams & Fantasies with Cards Darwin Ortiz pg. 164

Eric

Thanks for the additional references!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » SAC Move. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL