The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Escapes- The Strait Jacket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I posted this in the escape section as well, but I wanted two different viewpoints on it.
This was the first performance of my new SJ routine made for street performing.
Have a look- Comments welcome. And yes...I know I fluffed the hat line. New routine and got ahead of myself. It was much better in the next performance. I did 7 SJ escapes in two hours but this was the first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHAJk3-kcSk
Gwyd
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
You better have someone watching your props while your lokced in that jacket.

Otherwise, I liked it.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Gwyd, happy birthday.

As for the act, who are you trying to make the center of attention exactly? Explain to me your motivation for involving the kids in exactly that way? E.g., why use them at all, and what do you hope they will add to your act. Be brutally honest with yourself.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-07-29 13:41, Maloney wrote:
You better have someone watching your props while your lokced in that jacket.

Otherwise, I liked it.

I am probably seriously low man on the busking totem pole and that was my first thought as well.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
About the props...I never work alone. No worries.
And, the only other props I had besides my amp (Good luck stealing that! It's a beast!!) were a piece of chain, a lock and a folding table. The props the kids were using were all dollar store stuff...A loss I would not worry about.
Chance- Thanks! And thanks for posing an interesting question...What is the focus and why the kids...
This particular pitch is right outside an ice cream shop. Huge number of kids. Involving them for the entire act keeps the family in place and watching because their little darlings are doing something. The thought is to use them as an anchor to keep the audience in place. I don't mind them getting a good part of the focus for that reason.
Why did I use them in exactly that way...Just seemed funny to me I guess. It seemed natural for something the kids would want to participate in. My own kids heard about the idea and they were very excited about the prospect and that is what I wanted...Excitement.
However, I will be thinking about it more...the reason "why".
I do have another version I use when there are less children around, but I always use as many people from my audience as I can so that there is a vested interest in the show. It was something hammered into me by my mentor- Always use the audience when you can.
Seriously...Thanks for the questions. It gives me a lot more to think about.
Gwyd
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 09:15, gsidhe wrote:
This particular pitch is right outside an ice cream shop. Huge number of kids. Involving them for the entire act keeps the family in place and watching because their little darlings are doing something. The thought is to use them as an anchor to keep the audience in place. I don't mind them getting a good part of the focus for that reason.
Why did I use them in exactly that way...Just seemed funny to me I guess. It seemed natural for something the kids would want to participate in. My own kids heard about the idea and they were very excited about the prospect and that is what I wanted...Excitement.
However, I will be thinking about it more...the reason "why".

I saw your tip increase during that part of the performance. If was very interesting and I know how kids like stuff like that. Does doing this add to the hat?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
In this area, yes. You get the kids, you get the hats. You ignore the kids and you get no audience and no hat.
G
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
It's good to know you don't work alone. Saves you from a lot of hassle even when out of the straight jacket.

And yes, kids will get you money and a bigger audience. The audience will have a hard time leaving before the show ends becasue the parents wouldn't be able to drag the kids away. Engaging the kids is a good way to start busking.

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I´m with Chance on this one. As we say, I love kids - mith mustard. Hope it works out for you, keep at it if it works - but I belive that the SJ stands on its own.

Just a thought: some day your sound will be badly splashed.

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Yes...The strait jacket can indeed stand on its own.
Hundreds of performers have proven that. I've proven that myself doing completely serious SJ escapes in front of 1500+ people or more.
In this case I wanted to go in a different direction.
For me, this was a twofold experiment. The first part- I have routines that work very well, but I like to be flexible and be able to change what I am doing to suit the demographic at a certain pitch. If I can get a bigger pitch, I do the circle pitch sideshow with my partner. If it is raining and I have an awning to work under or some similarly tight pitch, then I do a solo con man act. I wanted an act that would appeal if I was swamped with kids that would also appeal to the parents. I thought this might fit the bill. So I tried it out. It seemed to work ok though it still needs some tweaking.

The second part of the experiment was to see if I really could minimize an act down to one stunt/effect. The circle show has 5 distinct elements and is about 27 minutes long. The closeup con man show has three elements and is about 12 minutes. This had one element and was 8 minutes. Not as profitable as the other two yet, but it really is still under development.
So, the experiments were a success. Now I am looking at the results and figuring out what needs to be improved.

Oh- the sound is quite waterproof. Thanks for thinking of it though! My old amp would have been doomed.
Thanks again for the input!
G
nanowarrior
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of nanowarrior
Really nice!

it seemed to me though that the audience was much denser on your left side than in the center... it is probably because being all tied up you couldn't control your crowd effectively...

and I'm curious... how did you stop the people? you said you only did the strait jacket, so no effects in the beginning... Yelling?
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
WOW!

brilliant.

when I first saw the title post, I almost didn't look at it, because I have seen little that interests me any more about straight jacket routines.

not critisizing them, of course, they are great street material and as you said are tryed and true.

then I went to the link and saw that the clip was 8 mins long and I almost didn't watch it.....

I am so glad I watched it, I laughed out loud and was involved.

very few street shows translate to video, but this did, which I believe is a good sign for a show.

the whole time I was wishing I was there.

this was a fun show.

it looked like you were having fun.

it looked like it took a creative mind to put this together.

maybe the structure was off a little.....and.....maybe this isn't a huge money maker....

AND MAYBE THAT'S WHY IT ROCKED!

"do what you love and the money will follow."

I loved it and I believe everyone there did too.

you are, unusual.

I also liked your reasoning on this thread.

thanks so much.
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-07-31 18:47, jimmy talksalot wrote:
WOW!

brilliant.

when I first saw the title post, I almost didn't look at it, because I have seen little that interests me any more about straight jacket routines.

not critisizing them, of course, they are great street material and as you said are tryed and true.

then I went to the link and saw that the clip was 8 mins long and I almost didn't watch it.....

I am so glad I watched it, I laughed out loud and was involved.

very few street shows translate to video, but this did, which I believe is a good sign for a show.

the whole time I was wishing I was there.

this was a fun show.

it looked like you were having fun.

it looked like it took a creative mind to put this together.

maybe the structure was off a little.....and.....maybe this isn't a huge money maker....

AND MAYBE THAT'S WHY IT ROCKED!

"do what you love and the money will follow."

I loved it and I believe everyone there did too.

you are, unusual.

I also liked your reasoning on this thread.

thanks so much.

If this comment doesn't make you feel good, nothing will!

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
That was brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Thanks guys!
Jimmy...That really meant a lot to me. You are one of my fave street performers with an insane amount of talent!
The audience was really densest behind where the camera was...The shady spot. Center was lightest because of the wall/storefront. Not much room to get any real depth.
I have gotten some other good suggestions in other threads and on other forums that I will be playing with. I am excited to see how I can get this to evolve!
Gwyd
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
So am I
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
The bit with the noodles was hilarious and very visual in a cartoonish way. I am not quite as enthusiastic about the water balloons. Although it was funny – especially enhanced by your cries and yells, it is also something possibly some parents wouldn’t want their kids doing or something unexpected could happen to a spectator. I don’t know if there is something else that can be substituted. I can’t think of anything off hand. I like the way you instructed the kids with the audio. That was good too.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Madness, Ridiculous, chaotic brilliance Smile
Crap hat lines
Thanks for sharing
Mario
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Maybe you could work in a hat line about helping out with your hospital bills from the beating you took.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I did indeed completely blow the hat line...So caught up in the new routine that I forgot to add it in!
I have come up with a preshow line I'll try out, and add your suggestion at the end Raven- I like that!
And thanks Mario! Another one of the ones I admire!
Gwyd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Escapes- The Strait Jacket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL