The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Comedy Routines by Matt Fore (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
459 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Hi Everyone

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=DA2776

I'm considering buy this.
Any review?

Thank you very much
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Looks interesting, the teaser video really doesn't show a lot of anything though

Don
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Matt's a funny guy.

I was expecting more from the DVD though - the items he's doing here are pretty standard stuff, ie Doc Eason's routine for bill to lemon, Seabrooke's burnt bill routine the way everyone does it, handchopper with all the same gags everyone else does etc. His handling for the T+R necktie is on here, I didn't like the presentation of the restoration though.

It was just ok, for me.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Gotta agree on Futureal...

DVD leaves a lot to be desired... I don't consider comedy magic to be magic where there is lots of jokes that aren't funny and this is the case in this DVD. Also the performers character seems to be still in the works. I don't have idea what his character should tell about his performance.

All the tricks are taped infront of a live audience and maybe 1 out of the 5 jokes gets a good response. Also the presentations are long winded. I would cut around 50% out of them and make them more compact and better. There is pattern like "Now I will put this coin into my hand" when doing fake transfer and so on. Why say something that is totally obious unless you are blind???

Also the gags are all common stuff as stated by futureal so there really isn't much to offer in here... I seriously cant recommend this DVD...

Juha-Matti
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
695 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
But what do you think of specific tricks like the Silk in Egg/Necktie restoration/Coin in bottle?
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
I wrote a review of in Stone Cold Magic Magazine: Matt Fore
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
I read your review Jeff on Matt Fore.
Mostly in agreeance,especially with the movement acroos the stage ,number of tables and the lame jokes.
With the jokes, a lot were old ,but magicians still use some of these as they are guaranteed laugh getters.
A couple of things I found questionnable.
His midget joke and lifting the child onto the chair suspension.
No,No,No!
I think the DVD is worthy of a look especially for people trying to get some stage stuff going.
There are bits on here that people may use or adapt for their shows.
It alerted me to the Sliding Disc, which I use for my kid shows now. It cracks them up. Old indeed ,but it works.
My Summary.
Humour- Not the greatest but then again not too bad.
Tricks- Pretty good collection of stage tricks for kids and adults on one DVD

Chappelly
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Although I agree that his humor is a little lame (lots of groaners a la David Ginn, for example), his coin to bottle is great, his mismade umbrella is fun, his chair suspension is the best I've seen, his silk to egg provokes thought, and "Regifted" is hilarious. On the whole, he inspired me to reconsider the hand chopper and the chair suspension, taught me some good moves, and did have some excellent lines. While he's not Mel Mellers or John Archer or David Williamson, he grows on you and he does give you a lot of material for the money. I think this was a great investment, and better than a lot of DVDs out there. . .
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Isn't this the kind of material a beginner is looking for? If you have been on the Café, you should have noted that beginners are constantly asking questions that this DVD sounds like it may answer. What tricks to use and what not to do in a performance.

Was the DVD advertised as all new routines and magic effects never before seen, and made just for your seasoned professional magicians?

Magicians kill me, they think if they go to a magic show, they should see things they have not seen before. Notice, go to a magic convention, that is were you will see tricks designed to entertain and fool magicians. The general public may only see 1 or 2 magicians in a lifetime and may never see the same trick twice.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
One generally expects DVD's marketed to magicians to have original material or presentations on them, surely.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-08-08 07:07, Futureal wrote:
One generally expects DVD's marketed to magicians to have original material or presentations on them, surely.

Ya see, that is exactly what I am speaking about. Go figure!
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Go figure.
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
I am only 5 years late to this discussion......but......Matt was the entertainer at the Lionel Collectors Club National Convention in 2014. He had a crowd of approximately 400 people laughing their butts off! I was not familiar to Matt until that evening and while his tricks were not "magician foolers" the entertainment value of his act was near the top of the scale. Having seen his act from start to finish, it flowed smoothly. That flow doesn't come through on many "trick by trick" magic videos. The performance camera work could be better on the DVD but having seen Matt in person adds a much more positive perspective for me. Matts' success at regularly booking large banquet crowds and keeping them highly entertained makes this DVD and his style of magic worth looking at.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Comedy Routines by Matt Fore (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL