The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » 2 questions/Table or No Table, Chop or 3 Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
I'm sure any of franks products would serve you well.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
We use a table because it helps establish our "stage." It's something that people notice when we're setting up and helps to let everyone know that something is about to happen.

I do the cups and balls. It's the second piece of our three piece act.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Michael M
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
87 Posts

Profile of Michael M
For me, it depends on the situation and environment. I always carry a lightweight harbin collapsable table inside my street bag just in case I decide to do table work, ie - cups and balls, chop cup, etc. A table is also useful in festival settings where you often have a larger space to fill.

As others have pointed out, a table is a double-edged sword. It has both advantages and disadvantages. Over the years, I have found that the pros outweight the cons. First, if you absolutely need to place a prop down in sight of the audience, a table will elevate that prop and make it eaiser to see and more interesting to watch. "Eye Level Is Buy Level". Things are eye level are more apt to capture people's attention. A table also helps to establish your stage area, shows you are in control over that environment - it's your space, and it inherently attracts attention & crowds. In a lecture given by Chris Capehart on his street work he said, "If you want a crowd... all you have to do is put a rabbit on a table." It creates interest and who can resist an adorable white rabbit?

The table I use is the one pictured here:
http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......rd=table

To be perfectly honest, it is not very sturdy and reliable for long-term, heavy table work but for a quick cups & balls, or chop cup set it works well and the true advantage is in having the table close and collapse quickly so that if you need to leave a location in a hurry, you can easily do so.

Generally, I find that most performers only NEED a table for their finale'. I have found great benefit to using the table at the start of my street set in gathering a crowd. When a few people are hanging around a location, I invite them over to enjoy a few moments of pre-show close-up magic on the table top. I perform a few items such as a matrix and/or coins through table for these people. This is one of my crowd-builds. The idea is to form an edge, a crowd, with those few people. Others will see this small crowd looming over a table and wonder what they're looking at; so they'll come over too to see what they're missing. You can grow a crowd of 50 people in minutes if you choose your pitch right. At that point, you move your table back a little and perform the stand-up portion of your street show. Then, still keeping the table at a distance from the crowd, you end with your finale' of the cups and balls or chop cup, or whatever effect you may choose to end with using the table. If you can perform a finale' without a table - so much the better.

Currently, I work in Times Square, NYC every other week and, as the area I'm working has folding chairs, I tend to borrow one of them to use as a temporary table during my act. This has been working very well in the practical sense, but it certainly does not elevate my props as much as my standard table does. But, every little bit helps... as I hope my thoughts have helped some of you on this topic.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me via email: MagikMaker@msn.com

Thanks!

Michael Matson
Conjuring With Character
My Magic - My Way Entertainment
Conjuring With Character
www.MyMagicMyWay.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I use a table because it gives a focus to the area I am performing in. It is a light foldable card table, and I put my brief case on it. The table is not used in the act at all. I also have a small stool in the brief case which I can unfold and stand on, to give me height when drawing a crowd.
I don't use a cup routine of any sort; I end on cards across (telling the audience the whole way through that I will be teaching them how to pick a pocket at the end) followed by the hat lines, then I eat a balloon and produce a mouthcoil to end the show on a bang.
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Small table and 1 cup routine (not chop cup)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I've got a small table I picked up at Wal*Mart. It gives me a little more of an "anchor" than just standing there with rope or cards in my hand.

(Yes, I do a Cups and Balls routine, but my finish is "Shang-hi Shackle")
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
MagicianSilver
View Profile
New user
Lynden, Washington
50 Posts

Profile of MagicianSilver
Hi Jamie,
I do a three cup routine. It's still in the "Alpha" phase and it needs some work but its a start!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFGE8yJDYOE

Hope you enjoy it.

With Magic,
Sterling
"If you're not living on the edge. Then you are taking up too much space.
www.MagicSterling.com
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
A) I use a table because my routines need it.

B) I use a chop cup.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2009-09-02 17:54, MagicianSilver wrote:
Hi Jamie,
I do a three cup routine. It's still in the "Alpha" phase and it needs some work but its a start!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFGE8yJDYOE

Hope you enjoy it.

With Magic,
Sterling

Sterling,

Your creativity continues to inspire me. Loved it!

1) I’m a table person, although about 90% of my act is done without the table, I like it there as a home base and it gives me the flexibility to do a couple of strong routines.
2) I use a chop cup, because again, it gives me more flexibility.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Table and three cups.
...the magic that creates Memories!
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
I sit at a table, no cups
Rockabilly
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria, BC,
158 Posts

Profile of Rockabilly
I use a table as it helps establish my stage
Ido a 3 cup C&B
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
willhunter
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
140 Posts

Profile of willhunter
No Table, I don't like the barrier between the audience and myself. I do not use a Chop Cup and I have a Cups and Balls routine, but never use it for busking.
aka Billy Boston
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
I always use a table & since adding Frank's servante that hangs off the back of the table, don't have to use my pouch but it's with me if I change my mind. Usually just work out of the servante, cups & balls, chop cup, 3 shell game, cards, sponge balls depending on the wind...
Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » 2 questions/Table or No Table, Chop or 3 Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL