The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Hi and a question! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
Hi to everyone, I'm new here so here a big "hullo" at everyone. Looks like a good forum and after lurking for sometime, I know I'll be staying!

Anyways! Onto my point.We're in the card section here, so I take it everyone is in love with card magic as I am. And judging by the amount of posts in this section... I thinka few maybe a little too in love (jk) Smile

But do you believe in approaching people with a deck of cards? Card are aways a big part of my strolling or table act, and I have been known to approach people with a deck in hand. But realistically, do you think this does us any favours?

Ice Breakers with cards can be very hard to find, what are some of your favourites? I know openers are very personal to people, and what works for you wont work for me, but why do you think yours works for you.

Look forward to replies!
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Heh, I approach everyone with a deck of cards, whether I am doing them or not.

Honestly at any point of the day I always have cards in my hands, which not only gives me a lot of practice time and wierd looks, it also gives a very natrual flow down the line should I ever want to show them a trick.

I think its all about what you can pull off personally and look natrual, if you are comfortable with a deck of cards your audience will pick up on it and be fine with it, but if you come up eager to show off or have them pick a card, they will percieve the cards not as something your playing with, but just a prop that is going to be forced down their throats.

Don't start with a pick of card trick, do something flashy and done all "on your own", if you really want to start with a card trick. And don't do anything with piles the first time!!!!!
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
I'll debate MacGyver's point of "Don't start with a pick of card trick" (I think he meant pick a card). Do something like a simple force and "read their mind" (this has worked for me). Two card monte, another good one. Whichever effect you end up choosing, make sure it is a FAST one. Something to get the feeling of magic in the environment. From then on in, you are good to go.

Good luck

- Alex
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
There are many here who say not to start with a card trick.

I have never found it not to work for me. I think that if you do start with cards it must be something that impresses your audience and isn't something that uncle Joe did at their last family get together.

Dan
SimonP
View Profile
New user
South West England
85 Posts

Profile of SimonP
Firstly, a big hello to you Shaun! Smile

Many people think that it is 'bad practise' to start with a pick a card effect. Whether or not they are right, hmmmmm, who knows? I don't think there is a problem with you approaching someone with a deck of cards, magicians are known for their skills with cards, so that's ok, but as mtmagic said, make sure that if your gonna open with a card trick, make it a good one.

I usually open with some coin stuff, but if I were to open with cards i might do a 2 card monte. Its not that hard for the magi, very short, and a nice climax.
SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
Thanks for all the replies so far. One point I must stress is that I do usualy open with a card effect. I just havent een feeling it lately and felt like a change. I'm hugely selective of my material, so its not an easy task.

2 Card Monte? I take it you guys are talking about the Eddie Fetcher effect?
Otis Day
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
150 Posts

Profile of Otis Day
-2 Card Monte? I take it you guys are talking about the Eddie Fetcher effect?

I think you're right. A lot of "Misinformation" still exists about credit and trick names. People get lazy and say "Blaines double lift" or "two card monte". My GUESS would be a lot of the people doing this learned card magic strictly from videos, the web...or one of their friends. That's how it all starts. My favorite misinformation is on the Ninja 2 video where he says that he made up the (turnover)pass but if we see it in any book to just let him know. Funny...because in Ninja 1 he says Paul Le Paul is one of his favorites....you would think he would have read THAT book at some point.
zoneinfinite
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of zoneinfinite
Shaun, I understand what you mean. I used to open with a card effect in my routines, but I try not to whenever possible. I don't know, the audience just thinks you're going to do a "silly old card trick" and so many of them assume it's the key card trick. And they just lose interest altogether.

What is your opener? Mine is usually Jon Allen's Double Back. It's fast, and it has great impact.

Jeff
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I think it might be nice to introduce your cards in a magical way, like David Regal's Sudden Deck. Michael Ammar has a really funny way of introducing his deck of cards. He has a couple rubber bands around it, and offers the deck to someone while saying that he just uses it to carry around his rubber bands. He then proceeds to do a rubber band routine. Smile
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Shaun,

As you've seen, you're going to get all kinds of responses to your question: "It's okay to start with a card effect," "It's NOT okay to start with a card effect," "Make your first effect flashy," "Make your first effect quick," etc. I think if this goes on long enough, you'll find that there's no hard rule here.

But one thing did jump out at me from your original post, and that's when you said that you approached people with cards in hand. Again, there are no hard rules here, but I'd suggest that if you already have your props in hand before you get to the table, your audience will label you in their minds before you've even spoken a word, and you have no control or influence over whether that label is going to be a good one or not.

If you're going to approach a table to work it, I believe you're much better off coming to it empty-handed and taking a few seconds to relate to your audience as people before you start any routines. Talk to them, get on their side, allow them the opportunity to like you first. They're less likely to mind you bringing out a deck of cards if they already feel warm to you.

Of course, we're talking about audience management and people skills here, which are perhaps more important to the presentation of good magic than all the moves and subterfuge we employ. Give yourself a chance to get to know and like the people for whom you perform, and at the same time, give them the chance to get to know and like you. It solves a world of problems before they even occur.

Cheers, and good luck!

Lance
SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
I always appraoch a table and chat alot. I takea genuine interest in them, there night and how everyone is. I picked this up from the Carnegie book. Just to let you know that Lance, your advice is wonderful, it was given to me a long time ago and I have used it ever since.

An opener I used to use, and urge anyone who wishes to open with cards is this. Take the cards out of the box, but leave one in, any one. Hand the box, sealed to a lady, and have her "look after it" for you. Hand the deck to some one else, "youv heard of pick a card right? Well, this is think of a card" have them think of a card, run through the deck and remove it. If its in there, when they remove it, do an effect with it stressing the fairness of what just took plce. And if it isn't in there, you have a minor miracle on your hands!

I think, personally, I'm going to go back to my chop cup!
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
Opening table hopping with cards shouldn't be a taboo. If you see their faces look like they are thinking 'Oh no I hate magicians almost as much as I hate card tricks' then it may be the work of Uncle Bob and his same old 21 card trick every christmas. Open up with a few quick flourishes and they will see you're serious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Hi and a question! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL