The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Simply a conversation between two people. What would 'you' do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On 2009-08-07 17:09, Picard_1114 wrote:
You may laugh, but I would have done something really simple. Do you remember this kid's trick?

I would have borrowed a piece of paper and torn it into 9 squares, told her to write the name of a friend from high school she hadn't thought about for a long time on a piect of paper (the center one) and then had her write eight other names on the other pieces of paper, fold the papers, mix them up and give them to you. You play "Lie to me" by asking her if the old high school friend was each name but her reply has to be "no" each time. You divine the name.

No Laughing here mate Smile ... I got asked to do something quick the other week... the only thing around was a post-it pad. So I did a variation on the effect described above and got an amazing response... have done it a good 15 times since and am astounded at the reactions it is getting..... is now one of my favorite things to perform.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Oh... that's right. I was also going to suggest....

Deckquivoque and Thought Chunnel from Joshua Quinns 'ParaLies' Been having a lot of fun with these recently too.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I have settled on a winner. Of course, all the suggestions were terrific and even though this wasn't a contest just food for thought I think, in this situation as described, Palm Reading would be the BEST solution. Get around to talking about the science of it and the spec will look at their hand and if you raise your hand they will most likely offer theirs.

It's subtle and everyone HAS a palm ... or two. There's no success or failure and you can talk as long or as short at you want and still be golden.

Palm Reading.

John
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Left brain/right brain by phil smiff
just force a card and "read" it a la paul ekman's work (he's the guy who did the studies into micro muscle facial movement that is the basis of Lie to Me)
swami, or PW
I've asked to be banned
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-08-09 13:22, IAIN wrote:
Left brain/right brain by phil smiff
just force a card and "read" it a la paul ekman's work (he's the guy who did the studies into micro muscle facial movement that is the basis of Lie to Me)
swami, or PW

I like the idea of left/right brain. Not too keen on PW, don't want to get caught with my hand in my p***ts. Smile

Thanks IAIN!

J
DustinF
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DustinF
I think cold reading would be really effective in this situation.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I don't think 5 minutes is enough for palm reading...

I think as you'd been talking about Lie to Me and The Mentalist - framing what you'd do around that would be most apt...especially as she could then go google Ekman and find his books...

just make sure what you do is 'beyond' what she can learn, and then that memory stays with her even longer!

or maybe, just pinch her bottom and buy her a cocktail...
I've asked to be banned
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
2 mins is enough for palm reading if you do it right. Even a minute can leave somebody convinced. And wanting more.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I offer a psychic experience or in other words I tell them what they're about to have. It usually involves a NW or SS and an outlaw wallet which is with me everywhere I go. A bent coin or 3 is usually in me pocket.

There is an art to conversation and its a good skill to have. One can really entertain just by words alone. I have noticed many times people hanging on the words I'm saying... heads turning to catch a whisper from my silver tongue. Language and others, that is all that's needed for Magic to happen Others being the more important of the 2 surely?
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Wow so many things here ! Smile

perhaps the best is to say : Sorry I have a terrible headeache this evening but this is my card, call me tomorrow and I'll do to you some amazing things.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 12:40, parmenion wrote:

perhaps the best is to say : Sorry I have a terrible headeache this evening but this is my card, call me tomorrow and I'll do to you some amazing things.

Why would you do that?

j
jessewjoseph
View Profile
New user
California
82 Posts

Profile of jessewjoseph
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 17:21, johncesta wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 12:40, parmenion wrote:

Why would you do that?

j

So you can set up your itr, ofcourse.
baggins321
View Profile
Loyal user
United States
223 Posts

Profile of baggins321
Most of the suggestions here wouldn't work in a loud crowded room with only 5 minutes to perform. Tough circumstances. I'd do a which hand effect (I prefer Relic) or bend a coin.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Category Forcing. It's real thought reading.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 05:19, baggins321 wrote:
Most of the suggestions here wouldn't work in a loud crowded room with only 5 minutes to perform. Tough circumstances. I'd do a which hand effect (I prefer Relic) or bend a coin.

Oh.
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Well, depending on the noise level and other distractions, anything with a bit of paper and a pencil. CT or similar stuff. These one on one situations are my favorite, so I'd surely have my Stealth assassin handy and pendulum and Boon.
In less prepared moments, (IF such ever happened!), then Philemon V has the best idea - a good short palm reading! I might use handwriting analysis, depending on the person. As both of those show YOUR abilities, but still are focused mostly on HER, how can you go wrong?
Of course, I'm judicious in where I make the offer, but I don't think I've ever had anyone declare a lack of interest in a quick reading!
One of my business cards identifies me as a palm reader - another as a handwriting analyst - so just handing her one or the other shows I'm not just a lounge lizard with a lame conversational gambit.
I have always found that such a card will prompt THEM to ask for a 'quick sample' of a reading; no need for me to sales pitch them at all.
brane
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Pb60 is a good find for this!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Simply a conversation between two people. What would 'you' do? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL