The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Beer in a kids show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 08:21, John Breeds wrote:
On the other hand, if the culture situation demands absolutely no references to alcohol you could easily change the label to 'Coke' and play safe.
John

Yep! That's kinda what I said before...

John
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Skip, you said you changed your script, but did you change the props?
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Nope, Randy - it was a substance abuse program. The props were part of the lesson. I was a little heavy-handed with demonizing smoking, drugs and alcohol in the script which offended the parents who liberally partake. I simply modified the script with more health highlights than moral points.

Perhaps I missed something in the thread, but if you're using the beer prop as part of a substance abuse program - I'd say go for it. If it's being used with a purely entertainment objective in the U.S. - as others said, I'd err on the side of caution and leave it out.

I'll go back and re-read the thread.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-08-17 09:53, Danny Diamond wrote:
I'm blown away that anyone would even consider this in a kid's show.

I have two young children and have probably been witness to thousands of hours of Disney/NOGGIN/Sprout television and movies over the last five years or so. I can't recall EVER seeing a beer bottle present in any of these movies and shows. Why? Because it's entertainment created for children, and the themes and items seen in these shows, are things that kids relate to. Kids don't (or at least shouldn't) relate to a beer bottle.

There's Beer portrayed in Pinocchio, Beauty and the Beast, and Dumbo to name just a few Disney pics.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 13:38, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-16 23:31, zimsalabim wrote:
You know that somone would EVEN consider this as a option for a children's show is just well outragous. If indeed you were serious please go into another line of work. As for Americans being puritanical? Well I doubt it very much that this owuld be accepted anywhere else either. I mean cmon. Sorry if that sems a strong responce but I really find the idea too absurd to even consider,

Z

I don't know where you are based, zimsalabim, but every day I am thankful I am not from a place as up-tight and humourless as there. In most parts of the world outside of the middle east and the United States we have a healthier attitude towards alcohol and relationships and all sorts of other things. We raise our kids to know that these things are a normal part of life, and not something to be hidden and ashamed of.
If a cold beer can provoke such fury in you, then I suggest that the fault lies with you and the society you inhabit, rather than in the beer. In the rest of the world we enjoy a beer for what it is - nothing but fermented hops. In ten years time, when he is old enough, I hope to be able to enjoy a beer with my son, just as I can now enjoy a beer with my father. And my son won't be hiding behind my back to sneak a beer when he's underage, because I have never made him feel that it is something shameful.

I am referring to the fact that he is wanting to use it in a kid show and buddy if you think that this is "fury" you have no idea what the term means. lol
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Joe, you need to grow up. Tony.
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
Never! But I must say I fail to see what you are talking about I just said what was obvious. But enough about it its obviously somthign you feel strongly about and so do I but on different sides of the issue. that's what makes the world go round and round.
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Beer in a kids show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL