The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » MA Coin Propulsion??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Reading another post in this forum reminded me of my some what failed attempt to master Masao Atsukawa's Coin Propulsion. I am able to get it propelled but it never seemed accurate, fast enough at times, and you could always see my hand "twitch" when I did it.

Any suggestions on how to do it correctly? The brief descriptions in both Five Times Five(Japan)and The New Magic of Japan only explained how to propel it... not the correct angles, subtleties, etc. involved.

Thanks,
Sam
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
ZoiyaKumar
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of ZoiyaKumar
Maybe you can take a look at Cutis Kam's Palms of Steel Vol.4 on the "TRIPLE ALLIANCE 2.0" routine. The move is employed in the last sequence.
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
I would... but I'm a little low on cash at the moment... I was looking for some good tips here on actually getting the technique down good and presentable. The tip is much appreciated though... Smile

Is there anyone out there that has mastered it?

Thanks,
Sam
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Is this anything like The Flick?
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Maybe... by the sound of it... but I don't know what The Flick is... could you describe it? I think though the MA Propulsion could be compared better to the Muscle Pass. The MA Propulsion uses a completely different part of the hand for it though and is supposed to be invisible and faster.
-Denny Haney
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Anyone out there that knows how to do the move please describe how you do it correctly... thanks Smile
-Denny Haney
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
I'm going to guess no one can help me?

Or is it just that this thread got buried fast?

Any help at all is appreciated on this Smile
-Denny Haney
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Sam,

I don't think there's anything specific anyone can tell you without seeing you do it. I can tell you that in general, a lot depends on the relative size of the coin to your hand. If you're getting a visible twitch, the coin might be a bit smaller than it should be, or perhaps, too heavy.

Again, in general, the thing to practice for is a clean release, speed and power will come. (although I can't think of too many applications in which sheer speed or power are critical. Okay, I once suggested using a glass disc to shatter a lightbulb, but besides that...)

The propulsion in this case comes more from the natural reaction of the coin and the fingers to the position they're held in. There's little need to move your fingers, and for me, all I think about is simply clenching my fist a little. I do get a little movement of the releasing hand, but I think the best applications of the move have an object held in the hand at the same time, so the movement's not visible.

Also, you do know that there's no way you're going to be able to propel the coin so fast that it can't be seen? The move can be done invisibly, but there are other factors at work than sheer speed.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Thank you for responding...

I use half dollars for this and they might be a part of the issue (the twitch) but I have also tried it with Ikes and a Canadian coin that is just a few millimeters smaller than a half dollar so I'm not quite sure on that.

I don't think in my case then that speed is an issue now that you are saying it's not supposed to be invisible. I can get it pretty fast... just not accurate all the time.

So I guess my only two problems doing this move now are accuracy and getting rid of the twitch.

Hmm... very odd... you say you clench your fist to release the coin but I do the opposite and pop my little finger knuckle forward to make it propel. That could explain the twitch if I read that right...

Also... since you have been of much help to me... do you know the proper angles your hands should be at and how far apart? I hold mine about a foot apart... I'm starting to think it should only be a few inches...

Thanks a million,
Sam Weiss
-Denny Haney
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Sam,

The distance apart and the angle depend on your application for the move. The move is very good under cover of a card, or a silk, or other coins. That said, I usually have my hands less than a foot apart.

The twitch might come from an over emphasis on the release. If you've got to visibly move your fingers to get the coin to release, you might be gripping it too tightly to begin with. For me, the release happens automatically when my index finger pulls up a bit, against the two middle fingers pshing down.

The angles that your hands take relative to each other also depends mostly on your application, i.e. where you need the coin to end up.

Good luck with it, and don't get too bogged down. This is an interesting move, but it's not one you can't live without.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Okay... so I did some more practicing on this move last night and I applied what you said.

I think I got the move down pretty good now (at least presentable) and with a little more practice I think I'll be able to perfect it as much as I can.

My accuracy improved and the subtle twitch subsided.

Much thanks,
Sam
-Denny Haney
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
You're certainly welcome.

By the way, to tie this thread to two others that are actice right now, the MA propulsion is a great way to seemingly get a coin into a closed Okito box.

The box is closed with coins in it.

Another coin is vanished, and then moved into MA position in the RH. The LH takes off the cover of the box and puts it in the RH, then picks up the box, briefly displays the coins inside, then dumps them to the table towards the performer. The MA propulsion takes care of the rest.

That's the beginner's version. In the expert version, the RH unlids the box and then gets the coin into position for the MA move. That's a bit more natural.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » MA Coin Propulsion??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL