The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fakini Balls & Flashpaper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hello everybody,

I'm wondering if flashpaper could harme the Fakini balls or would it be harmless to them and their ability of "stickiness" and "bouncing".

I thought of wrapping one in a sheet of flashpaper to make it "appear" after the fire is gone, while bouncing it on the floorµ.

Thank you for your help.

Oliver.
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Profile of Fred-Erik Johanson
Well I haven't tried flash paper with Fakinis, but I do have used flash paper for other kind of rubber ball. I haven't noticed anything on the ball. It has maybe darken a bit, but its very hardly detected, because I have an multi-color ball.
Maybe Fakini will darken over time to yellowish-brownish color. I honestly haven't tried it.
Maybe someone else can help you. It would be very interesting to know also.

-Fred
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I use flash papaer to produce a Fakini ball, but the ball begins in classic palm, while the flash paper is held at the tips of the thumb and index finger. The ball pops into position as the flash paper is burning, so the two never come into contact long enough to damage the ball... at least not so far. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thank you for your help. Any other experiences from other people on this issue ?

Oliver.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe Mike Ammar has a flash ball production in one of his books.
Matt101
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Matt101
You can find flash paper to ball on McBride's DVD - World Class Manipulation, it is basicly the same principle as Michael has already described
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I think it is ok to use flash paper as Michael described, but I would be afraid to wrap my Fakini balls with flash paper. If you do try it, please let us know the result.

Regan
Mister Mystery
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Flash paper wrapped tightly will burn linearly, that is from point A to B, where-as if there is air behind the paper, it will flash in a chain reaction ball of flame.
Your best bet is NOT to wrap the ball, but have it ignite in front of your palmed load.
If your intent is a color change, I have used a balloon wrapped over the surface of the ball. Pop the tight balloon, and the ball will appear to have changed color.
You must powder the ball. ref: my book "Best Dam Tricks" - 1980.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Profile of Fred-Erik Johanson
I remember seeing this effect on Youtube. I believe the clips name was: Marcantoinemagic -Monte-Carlo's Golden Wand Award act
The effect is 1:53. Here´s the link also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKQLAwDyH......&index=6
Theres where I got the idea of using flash paper with a rubber ball.

-Fred
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-08-16 08:47, magicians wrote:
Flash paper wrapped tightly will burn linearly, that is from point A to B, where-as if there is air behind the paper, it will flash in a chain reaction ball of flame.
Your best bet is NOT to wrap the ball, but have it ignite in front of your palmed load.

This is a good description of what would happen. Of course, it depends on the desired effect, but in such a case, you'd want a flash burn, and not merely a rapid burn. A flash burn dispells more heat into a concentrated period of time, whereas a rapid burn sustains the heat over a longer period of time. As long as you understand that heat rises, it is easier to arrange things during a flash burn, so minimal heat contacts the other items, which includes your fingers!). For this exact reason, I sometimes opt for flash cotton instead of paper.

For the sake of the ball production, it is also helpful to understand that depth ("Z" dimension) is easier to disguise than width or height ("X" & "Y" dimesions). Having the ball behind the flash will not only keep it concealed, it will also be impossible for the audience to register on the true fact. They will only see point in space formed by the "X" & "Y" dimensions. To them it will register as the exact same point in space, as one behind it.

I used to use this same idea with dove productions. It was extremely safe for the birds, as in one particular effect the fire and the dove were actaully about 3 feet apart. From a stage, they appeared to occupy the same point in space, first fire, then the bird, and the illusion was perfect.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
Heat is not the prblem. They're silicon remember. Heat resistant. The problem is any residual acid in the paper may discolor the ball over time. I would suggest just washing the ball after use.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Charlie Frye produces them wrapped in flash paper in his new billiard ball act. I would assume therefore that it would not harm them.
ludawg
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of ludawg
I certainly don't suggest wrapping Fakini balls with flashpaper. That's not what I do. Flashpaper can leave burn marks on the balls. I've been doing my routine for many years, and while I produce one in a flash, there's no wrapping involved. Hope that helps. I'd hate for people to ruin a perfectly good set of expensive Fakinis.
For what it's worth...
Charlie Frye
ChrisPilsworth
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
74 Posts

Profile of ChrisPilsworth
If you don't mind having a Fakini ball discolour in one spot over time, here is what you could do.

Start by cutting a pin with a white bead head to about 1/4" long. This pin will be used to fasten a piece of flash paper to the ball.

I used a flash paper that was about 4" x 3" in size. Pleat the paper into thirds so that the new size is 4" x 1". Pin the paper to the ball 1/2" from the end of the paper.

Conceal the ball in your hand in a loose finger palm position. The flash paper should be attached at the top of the ball and extend out between your thumb and index finger. All the audience sees is a piece of paper extending from your fingers. Light the end of the paper and wait until the flame gets close to your hand. At that moment throw the ball into the air. It will look like the fire changes into a ball in mid-air. It looks great!

Before the show check to see how quickly the flash paper will burn. Humidity will have an effect on the burn rate.

If you don't want to use a Fakini ball another option is an orange super ball from a toy store. The orange of the flame makes for a great transition to the orange ball.

Have fun, but play safely. Fire is indiscriminate.

Cheers,
Chris

http://www.borntoamaze.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fakini Balls & Flashpaper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL