The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First purchases and direction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dark Deck
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Dark Deck
Hi. This is my first post in this forum so hopefully I can provide some words that can be of useful to you.

I think the most important thing for anyone starting magic (or anything else for that matter) is to set themselves a goal. There are many different categories of magic (cards, coins, rope, etc..) and there are so many materials available for each of these categories around that it is very easy to be drowned and lost in them. So, in my opinion, the best way for the beginner to approach magic initially is to decide which category of magic they will want to do and just concentrate on that category only at first. It is ok to read up and practice other impromptu or easy self-working tricks of other categories along the way but the main focus should be put on the category that the beginner has chosen initially.

Once a category has been chosen, all attentions should first be directed to the basics of that particular category. If you're into cards, then all attention should first be focused on shuffling, handlings and basic sleights and flourishes. It is essential to get a firm foundation of the basics before moving on to any of the advance stuff. While practicing and reading on the subject, you'll definitely come across a few effects/routines. Learn them, practice them to perfection and try to think of ways to enhance/improve them with your limited knowledge on the subject. Once you're confident enough with your skills, perform them in front of family and friends.

With card magic, Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and Royal Road to Card Magic will be enough to keep beginners interested in card magic busy for a long time, but with the exception of one thing. In my opinion, the DL taught in both books aren't to everyone's taste and you'll very likely find that you'll need another source on this rather important sleight alone. On DLs, I recommend Gregory Wilson's Double Take video.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
You can also practice pieces of each category at a time. When I first started magic about 30 years ago, I wanted to do close-up magic at first. But close-up magic consists of more than just cards. So I practiced card magic, coins, rope, match magic, math, silk, etc. This all fit into the "genre" that I wanted to study. I then later studied parlor magic and mentalism. Although not necessary, it does help to stick with one type of magic for awhile. But you can also jump around too, and that also helps combat burnout over just handling one type of object. But if you only want to do card magic, well then it would make sense to do as much card magic practice as possible.

There is no one universal way you have to learn. You can do cards first, coins later, and then rope after that. Or you can do some of each, work on 3 card sleights a day, 3 coin sleights, and 3 rope tricks. One need not limit oneself to a category, but you can if you want to. That is why Tarbell is a complete course. You can still learn either way, and I have done both for decades. Do what is easier or best for you.

Welcome to the forums Dark Deck! That is a good first post. You will also want to study magic theory and presentation, and showmanship etc. But all of that will come in time.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Hello and welcome to the all-consuming hobby that is magic. There are some great comments here and it does sound like you are off to a good start. With the wealth of information out there it will be easy to get overwhelmed, so keep asking questions! I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First purchases and direction (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL