The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Website Hosting Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Hello All,
I mentioned this in the referral thread a few threads away, but I wanted to make it the topic of a new thread. I use concentric web hosting and have had a great experience with them for the past several years. They use to be Microsoft Bcentral until they sold it to concentric. I am able to use the preformatted layouts and put in my own writing and pictures, change the colors, font size, etc. Simple stuff. I can also easily imbed a google/youtube video.

My problem is that most of my clients (schools) cannot view youtube video on their computers due to the school filters.

I am looking for a web hosting service that still has some simple tools that I can use fairly easily and update whenever I would like AND it lets you host your own videos on the server. I have Adobe Premiere and can edit video and make it in the format it needs to be in for uploading with no problem.

Any info/experience you have to share is greatly appreciated.
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
I'll put in a plug for web hosting. I've jumped from host to host for several years, looking for somewhere that gives me everything I need, doesn't nickel and dime me to death and can grow with me. I finally found IX web hosting in fact, I've recently renewed for my third year. I host a bunch of videos on there (quicktime, flash etc)

It has all the bells and whistles you could want (including one-click installation of popular shopping cart, blog, crm, contact form software, photo gallery, content management etc) 24/7 live support. Effectively unlimited storage and bandwidth (and great performance).

You also get a FREE domain name registration (I get 3 with my plan).

Up to $125 in FREE online marketing (google adwords, yahoo, etc - and these aren't coupons, they're credits)

Their plans start at $3.95 a month

Check out IX web hosting, well worth making the switch.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
There are many reasons that folks use youtube. It costs a lot of money for all of that storage and the bandwidth that video requires. Most ISP's would be more than happy to host your site, of course they will charge you for it. Adding video is easy, a little bit of javascript, and some html will do it.

I don't know who offers what since I believe that a content management system is the way to go for almost everyone. If you really need more then you won't be using the tools provided by most ISP's. A popular choice is Wordpress, which requires PHP, and a database, most folks use MySQL. Most web hosting places have PHP and MySQL, many have one click installation of Wordpress, and many of the other favorites (Joomla, Mambo, Django, Rails, etc.).

I like WebFaction, but they are more for programmers and require some facility with Linux.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Carducci - that sounds like it might be just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link! I'll look it over some more in the morning - now off to bed!

Thanks to both of you for the info!
Chad
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 21:25, Carducci wrote:
I'll put in a plug for web hosting. I've jumped from host to host for several years, looking for somewhere that gives me everything I need, doesn't nickel and dime me to death and can grow with me. I finally found IX web hosting in fact, I've recently renewed for my third year. I host a bunch of videos on there (quicktime, flash etc)

It has all the bells and whistles you could want (including one-click installation of popular shopping cart, blog, crm, contact form software, photo gallery, content management etc) 24/7 live support. Effectively unlimited storage and bandwidth (and great performance).

You also get a FREE domain name registration (I get 3 with my plan).

Up to $125 in FREE online marketing (google adwords, yahoo, etc - and these aren't coupons, they're credits)

Their plans start at $3.95 a month

Check out IX web hosting, well worth making the switch.

Hi Micheal,
That sounds incredible, I've been loyal to my web host for 17 years because they have incredible customer service (not 24/7 though) but you have me considering jumping ship for the first time. I might ask you for more info soon.
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Card, do they include unlimited domains?

*jeep!
-Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 17:32, mormonyoyoman wrote:
Card, do they include unlimited domains?

Absolutly! I have 20 domains currently hosted with them, with plans to add several more.

Dan, It's good to see you! We'll have to catch up sometime soon!
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Well, I took the plunge with ix web hosting. I figure I have 30 days to try it out before I'm locked in. Now Carducci, did you add your own videos or have someone else do it for you? If you did it, please pm me with some tips on the process. I have videos already done on Adobe Premiere Elements that are just waiting to be exported and uploaded - I just need to know how! If you have experience with this - it would really save me some time!

Feel free to PM or post here in case others have the same questions!
Thanks!
Chad
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Nice! Videos are pretty easy to upload. You can either use FTP, or their webshell tool (in the control panel)

You'll usually want to compress them to a reasonable size. <10MB is usually advisable. Most video programs have a 'web' setting.

To embed it in a page you have a couple of options:
This link describes how to simply embed different types of video.
http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/htmlvideocodes.php

If you wanted to embed the video in your page in a more fancy way. You could use something like http://gueschla.com/labs/smoothbox/ That is pretty much what I did with the videos on my site.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Quote:
Dan, It's good to see you! We'll have to catch up sometime soon!

Micheal,
Ya we should. I had a show a couple months ago at a different hotel in WY right by that restaurant you and you family took me to. I almost called to see if you wanted to do lunch, then remembered you drove down from CO and don't actually live in WY.
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Website Hosting Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL