The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where to get lock box? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I have a certain padlock that I want to use to lock a small box with my prediction. It just needs to be a regular box, nothing gimmicked. Where could I find one that can be locked with a padlock? I'd like it to look as professional and secure as possible. I found this one at Walmart which is perfect except the fastener doesn't allow a padlock.

http://www.amazon.com/Vaultz-3x5-Index-B......00WA6UHA

Any ideas? I also have a fastener I could screw onto it if I have to (if it doesn't have anything on the front).
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Perhaps a metal "cash box" from an office supply place is available?

Julie
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I'd like something a little more theatrical looking if possible. Like magicians prediction boxes typically are.
AnDraíodóir
View Profile
New user
Ireland
89 Posts

Profile of AnDraíodóir
I was recently searching for something similar. I found that money boxes seemed to be the most common type of box that allowed a padlock, and that is a wide variety of them. The slot for the money can easily be filled in using a wax, for the life of me I can't think of what it's specifically called, but framers use to tidy up the edges of frames, and conceal the nail holes. I used to work in a framers and it's relatively easy job. I'm sure a local framer would even do it for you. It's not a permanent solution so the box can be reused as a money box. Jewellery boxes are also worth looking into.

A quick few searches on an auctions site should show up some results.
Philip Ryan

"The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know" -Socrates
AnDraíodóir
View Profile
New user
Ireland
89 Posts

Profile of AnDraíodóir
Haha, I just realised. If you find the kind of box you are looking for that doesn't already have a lock, specifically wooden, you can just place a metal padlock hinge hasp on it. I completely forgot that was the best solution I came to.
Philip Ryan

"The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know" -Socrates
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
This is one of those things that you think is going to be easy to find, but it turns out to be a wild goose chase. Believe it or not, most cash boxes have the lock built in. Just a quick Google search will turn up images.

I think your best bet is to find a box and add your own hardware to it. Those Vaultz boxes come in a lot of different sizes. You may also want to consider a hobby store, like Hobby Lobby or an import store like Pier 1 or Old Time Pottery to find an attractive box that will be able to have the hardware put on.

Jonathan, I know what you mean. The Vaultz box looks great, however there's something about that little hasp & keyhole that doesn't look very secure.

Another option for you is not to modify the box itself, but rather put something on or around the box to make it look more secure. Maybe a light chain that can be wrapped around and padlocked. I'll be curious to know what you ultimately do with this.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I was able to rip the clasp off the vaultz box, but it leaves an ugly mess underneath. Currently, the plan is to get some shiny silver material like the engraved part on trophies to cover that are with and then put a hasp on top of it. We'll see if it works.

I tried Hobby Lobby and other craft stores, and even looked at Pier 1 and couldn't find anything! Well, Hobby Lobby had some nice hinged boxes that would have worked, but the fasteners they had on them aren't right. They had one with a hasp already on it but I think it is too small to put a large padlock through.

I think it would help if we could figure out what this kind of box would normally be useful for. Doesn't seem to have much purpose outside of magic/mentalism. lol
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I went through a similar search a few months back.

Metal boxes all seem to now be manufactured with a built-in lock. I found a suitable hard plastic (opaque) small file box at Staples, quite reasonably priced. It's solid, and has a clasp for a decent sized lock (i use a Luvr's Lock on it.

Hope that helps.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Eric, what is the brand name of the box?
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Unfortunately, there's no brand marked anywhere on the box. I've attached a photo, so you can see what it looks like. Hopefully this can help you track one down. The dimensions are aprox. 12" X 12" X 6" deep

e

Click here to view attached image.
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
346 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
I too have had a wild goose chase for these. In the end I bought an aluminium box - I think for make-up! - and used a grinder to remove the rivets and clasp from the front. Then I used machine screws to attatch a heavy duty hasp and staple from a hardware shop. Here is the finished product:

Click here to view attached image.
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Funny that this post has been resurrected.

I was just in Office Depot yesterday (in Vancouver, Canada), and noticed that they are carrying the hard plastic file box that I posted a photo of back in August. It is labelled under their house brand "Office Depot" and there are 2 sizes. The photo I included is the smaller one, which sells for $15.99.

I checked the web site, but it doesn't appear to be listed on there.
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Bit late for a reply but ,....Id have considered having it bound by a chain.
Regards Mark
E.O.I
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where to get lock box? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL