The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Lost in the Shadows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Lost in the Shadows?
Brother Shadow (Carl Heron) has vanished into the shadows and mists it seems.

I don’t believe he’s attended the last few ICBM Gatherings,
or even posted on the Shadow Digest for a very long while,
and all but stopped answering emails a year or more ago.

I know he took a huge emotional dive after the passing of his beloved Bertha,
and sort of went into seclusion… but as far as I know he’s not surfaced much since.

Brother Shadow is a GENIUS of the Bizarre and Story Magick genres,
and a piece of living history who was THERE at the renaissance of this genre,
and one hell of a wonderful, KIND, and giving guy,
and I truly miss him, his moving performances… and his wise counsel.

I now treasure the Gathering I roomed with him…
unable to see my hand before my face in the ever-renewed clouds of blue cigarette smoke,
and the endless twenty-four-hour parade of magical scotch drinkers who seemed permanently parked on our beds.
It was tough going at the time…
but the magical things I saw and experienced in his presence were rare gifts indeed.

I luckily have many, if not most, of his books and booklets and several of his props,
but what a shame if those are never re-published or re-made for the next generation of magical seekers! These gems, both large and small, should not be lost!

At least Leaping Lizards got his autobiography into the world a few years back,
so not all Carl’s story will be gone…. but what of his magic?

I’m going to make myself a new “Timmy” the leprechaun soon, and maybe make one or two extra for friends or fans of Carl… but what of his grand catalogue of genius, in props and print?

Has anyone been in direct contact with Carl as of late?
Are there any arcane plans to bring back any of this man’s fantastic legacy for the Magick world?

Walking down memory lane in the shadows,
Magically—Walt
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
We're all in debt with him and people like Tony "Doc" Shiels and the godfathers of the genre.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I haven't corresponded with him in about three years maybe even closer to five. I hear if you mail him an actual paper letter (what the heck is that many are asking. . .) you can get a response but he no longer seems to communicate through the web. I only have a few of his books, but I treasure them. I do wish he would re-emerge but I understand that for the present he doesn't wish to.
What would Wavy do?
Roni
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Roni
I have heard thatTony Razzano went to visit him a few months or so ago. Perhaps he can shed some light on this mystery?
I also know that a couple of years ago (I think) he was involved in a car crash and that he completley dissapeared after that. I know he did not take part in the ICBM Gathering for at least the past three years.
I hope he is well and just looking for quiet. He is a very good friend and the history of Bizarre Magick owes this great man more than I can tell.
Cheers
Roni
Robin DeWitt
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Robin DeWitt
I try to call Carl every few weeks. He *claims* that he is doing OK and seems in good humor. He has experienced some melancholy in the past few years and just seems to have decided to "wind down". His computer broke a couple, or more, years ago and he has never replaced it. He has quit drinking which was a bigger problem after Bertha died. He doesn't drive anymore but his daughter lives nearby so that helps. Tony tells me that the guys offer to take him to various meetings but he declines.

I agree that his actions are troubling but am at a loss as to what I can do other than be supportive.

For what it's worth, he has a listed phone number and lives in East Windsor, New Jersey.
I am the fakir, you....
<BR>Robin DeWitt
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Thank you for the timely update Kardor!
(see Kardor does know all and tell all)

Wouldn’t it be great if others could help Carl get his books into
print-on-demand form, a bit like Ed Solomon (DeNomolos)
has done so successfully, so they won’t be lost to future generations?

Magically,
Walt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Lost in the Shadows? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL