The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Perfect Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I used to have a seamless set of 10" rings, and have used many smaller sets with obvious welds and have found that both cause suspicion. 'Perfect' silver rings are not very natural for most people, and nickel plated sets beg the quation, "Why make them pretty when they have those lumps on them?"

I also have a small (3 1/2") set of wire rings with simple welds and no plating that seem to have a greater magical impact, i.e, no one questions the welds as they are natural, and all are casually handled before I switch in the key.

Maybe they are better for me because I think they are less fakey, or it may be a matter of spectator perception.

Anyone have some experience here?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Nope.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I have and continue to perform with my Owen 12 inch stainless steel rings. There is no weld seam because they polish and blend the weld so it is invisible. As far as being perfect, what's wrong with that? Seamless rings can also be made with no weld by forming them in a mold as gears are fabricated. The average layman is familiar with seamless rings such as wedding bands.

Larry
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
I agree with you Larry. Great observation.
...the magic that creates Memories!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What I do not like about the welds is someone might think that is where the rings open.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
They open?..... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Oh, you must have thought we were in the "funny" forum. I will meet you there soon.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Thanks for the input, guys. The comments I received were that the welds proved they were not a place to be opened -- no one would be that obvious or something. That's why I asked. As magicians were are suspicious of welds -- what does a lay person think?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
My first set of rings (I was ten) was a 4" set that had obvious welds. Whenever I performed with them folks would attempt to pull them apart at the welds, assuming that I was somehow able to open and close the rings. Even though they couldn't pull them open, they still thought that's how the trick was done--they just weren't able to figure out how to open them.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The samething happened with me, Donal.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
My first set of rings was an Adams set with obvious welds. Almost always, people thought the welds had something to do with the effect. I agree with the others that a set that doesn't show welds is the way to go.

Ron
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
I agree too.
Rick
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
I have been performing Whit Haydn's comedy four ring routine for years and almost every assistant have pulled on the weld join when I ask them to check the ring and look for openings etc.

I then point at the seam and tell them "that is a weld. If you can pull that apart, you are much stronger than me and you will have to pay me for a new ring" (tounge-in-cheek of course).

This gets a laugh and also seems to loosen up the assistant (if they are a bit stiff).

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I have a set of stainless 12 inch Redefine Rings and a set of Owen stainlesss 12 inch rings. Both are seamless and a joy to handle. To be honest it is extremely difficult to tell them apart. I agree with others that the welds may tend to take away from the effect. Many kids sets contain smaller and cheaper sets of rings, so when you pull out your set of stainless, seamless, 12 inch rings, you are no longer performing with the toys from the magic sets. I have some smaller sets but have gotten to the point that I prefer the 12 inch rings for both stand up and close-up shows.

Have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Perfect Rings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL