The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street performing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
All I've managed to write is
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
Is there a detailed list of the various state laws regarding the legality of street busking?

I know that in L.A. one can get a license, but what about the other states?

Bato William
You're nothing but a pack of cards! - Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
It doesn't go by state...rather city. Everything is in a constant state of flux. While one town is busy opening their doors to buskers and street performers, the very next is outlawing them. About all you can do is telephone each city hall or police dept wherever you're interested in performing and ask them their current laws regarding busking.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
And sometimes the are also in a state of flux. Example I went to the police station to get a license that they were saying street performers needed and when I got there they had no idea what I was talking about.

Walked out and went to an area I knew I could perform at and got a call from the police saying that if I don't ask for money I could perform anywhere I wanted to and then I got a call about an hour later from the mayors office saying that if I wanted to perform I would have to pay a fee for the space @ $25 per day that was if I was asking for money. If I didn't ask I could work where ever I wanted to.

When I went to the area I wanted to perform at 2 officers came over and told me to get lost. I explained what both the officer and the mayor's office said theY looked at each other with a puzzled look then looked at me and said get lost. So I did.

So just go out there and try it bato.
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
As I and so many others have stated here in the past. When it comes to asking permission, it is easier to beg for forgiveness.
...the magic that creates Memories!
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Its not exactly a list of state laws, but this group keeps pretty good track on the issues:

http://www.buskersadvocates.org/
Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
All I've managed to write is
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
Thanks, everyone.

Bato William
You're nothing but a pack of cards! - Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Pizpor, that is a great link. Thanks
...the magic that creates Memories!
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
You're welcome. I'm new here - so I'm just trying to see what's going on.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
You may also have to check back in 36 months. Cities have been known to totally reverse their polarity within this time.

Steven's site is more along the line of history and legal precidents in the USA. For example, while successful somewhat in Boston, the same legal reasoning wasn't for NYC. Robert Turley has been successful in NYC only after having been arrested several times and taunted by city hall. But this is more along the lines of "fighting the system"...
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street performing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL