The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I am in competition with the TV (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
If anyone has experienced something similer, I would like to know how you handled it.

One of the places I work in is a bar/restaurant with over 20 flat screens surrounding the place.

There is also a young girl who is there every week with her parents. She waits just inside the door for me to arrive then waves and greets me as I walk in.

When I get to her table and start performing, her attention goes to the screens and she misses half of what is going on. Keep in mind she wants me at the table and loves magic (cards are her fav) but if she looks up at me there is a screen just a glance away no matter where one is sitting. I have tried doing everything low down on the table but the draw of the TV seems too strong.

Also this is the only person that this happens to, so I don't think I am boring.

I am not sure if I should do nothing or should I say/do anything to help solve this.

She may have A.D.D. for all I know.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Nope it is normal .... Everyone does it whether children or adults. Hell I find myself doing it too!!

When I notice kids a wandering I will say "hey! 3D (point) 2D I win!" Parents laugh.

Worst is the parents that won't make the kid put down the DS system...
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Happens to me from time to time. I act like I am hypnotising them with a balloon. Gets a laugh and their attention.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 11:56, Bad to the Balloon wrote:

When I notice kids a wandering I will say "hey! 3D (point) 2D I win!" Parents laugh.

I like that line... mind if I use it?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
Worst is the parents that won't make the kid put down the DS system...

Ain't the the truth!

What I do, is I just grab it from the kid and do Pressure! I leave it sealed in the balloon and say "you'll get it back after the show." It not only sits on the table fully inflated showing it inside the whole time I'm at the table, but it gets a good laugh!

Don't recomend doing that for everyone...but that fits my character and style pretty well.

Just make sure you PAUSE the game first so the kid doesn't totally freak out.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Best to avoid sports bars and other TV intensive venues. With so many bars and restaurants on the face of the Earth why aim for places that you have to compete with a tv?
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 12:57, markmiller wrote:
Best to avoid sports bars and other TV intensive venues. With so many bars and restaurants on the face of the Earth why aim for places that you have to compete with a tv?

Maybe because the sports grills are my best and highest paying family clients and the sports bars are my most supportive adult-venue clients. I've never heard of a venue that didn't have some kind of distraction issue.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Here is a great solution to the problem-

http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php

:baby:

Mike
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 14:19, Michael Peterson wrote:
Here is a great solution to the problem-

http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php

:baby:

Mike

Yes, I can see it now!

Magi: "And now for my next trick, I will make all my competition dissapear!" *click*

Someone else: "HEY!"
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I have seen those before and thought about using it for a trick but wasn't sure how to present it. It might turn off every TV in the place.

Hmmm, during the Super Bowl might be fun.

Alec
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Alec, take this for what it's worth (which may not be much)...

I do not claim to be the smartest or most experienced. I can only speak from my experience. If this were happening to me, (and it has in the past) I would be very careful about saying something or taking something away from a kid. It's not my kid, so it's not my place to correct him. The guests are paying to be there, and you are being paid to serve them, not the other way around.

There may be times where such situations are unavoidable, or maybe a kid does have ADD or something. But my first thought is that I need to take responsibility. Maybe my presentation isn't strong and compelling enough to hold attention. I know that if I were watching the Super Bowl and someone levitated a foot off the ground across the room, my attention would move AWAY from the TV!

Christopher's action with the video game might well work for him, but I would never do that, even if I could get away with it. There is a chance that you could alienate that kid (and maybe his entire family) for life--even a possibility of getting fired if they put up a fuss. IMO, a much better alternative is to say, "Oh, I see you're in the middle of a game; I'll come back later when you're done." The parents can then, if they choose, take the initiative and tell the kid to pause the game.

I think it is important to remember that as a restaurant magician, you are not the primary focus. You are an "add-on" to help IMPROVE guest relations. Things that are perfectly appropriate when you have your own off-Broadway show are not appropriate when you are working a restaurant. Interruptions and distractions are to be expected. The guests have come to dine at a place where there just happens to be a magician--many don't even know a magician performs there until they walk in and notice him. Keep that in mind, and a lot of the answers start to reveal themselves, IMHO.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Feel free to use it.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Some restaurants have too much stimulation. I remember one chain that had me performing at one of their locations for a time. Business dropped off because people couldn't take the sensory overload, as management kept adding more and more - too many large screens, trivia games, raffles, prize drawings, etc. I know that I was happy to leave that place, so that I could hear myself think. They closed all of their locations in my area and may have gone completely out of business.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Thanks everyone. I would not take anything away from a kid (at least not while the parents are around) Smile

But I have done the balloon thing with an adult and their phone when it was making a racket. Everyone including the guy thought it was funny.

Now that I have been really thinking on the situation, what do I care if she pays attention to me or the screen. I get paid, she is happy, I go to the next table.
I think my ego was in the way.

Cool, I think I just grew a little there.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts.

-Alec

Alec
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 15:23, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
(Clip)
I think it is important to remember that as a restaurant magician, you are not the primary focus. You are an "add-on" to help IMPROVE guest relations. Things that are perfectly appropriate when you have your own off-Broadway show are not appropriate when you are working a restaurant. Interruptions and distractions are to be expected. The guests have come to dine at a place where there just happens to be a magician--many don't even know a magician performs there until they walk in and notice him. Keep that in mind, and a lot of the answers start to reveal themselves, IMHO.

This is a really important piece of information that I hope everyone takes notice of. Thanks Scott!
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 14:54, slyhand wrote:
I have seen those before and thought about using it for a trick but wasn't sure how to present it. It might turn off every TV in the place.

Hmmm, during the Super Bowl might be fun.

I would attach it to a pull Smile

Mike
renricker7
View Profile
Regular user
Halle, Germany
150 Posts

Profile of renricker7
Hi,

just recently i´ve heared that the tv is the modern version of the bonfire.

maybe you like to think about!

rené
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 12:05, slyhand wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 11:56, Bad to the Balloon wrote:

I like that line... mind if I use it?

Go for it!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Find some nice and shiny coins to perform with or maybe a trick she can learn or do something with a giveaway and tell her that she will be able to bring this home with her.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 15:23, Scott F. Guinn wrote:

Christopher's action with the video game might well work for him, but I would never do that, even if I could get away with it. There is a chance that you could alienate that kid (and maybe his entire family) for life--even a possibility of getting fired if they put up a fuss. IMO, a much better alternative is to say, "Oh, I see you're in the middle of a game; I'll come back later when you're done." The parents can then, if they choose, take the initiative and tell the kid to pause the game.

Scott does bring up a VERY GOOD POINT so let me clairify real quick. If you ever choose to do something like this (and I suggest you don't) it's very important that you know how to "read" your audience.

I am able to quickly figure out the type of table that I'm performing for very quickly. I'm an excellant judge of character and consider myself a student of human movement.

There are tables that I can tell are very dull, boring, and sqaure so I always play those tables a bit more "straight" vs. other tables that I feel are "cooler" so I can play those tables a bit more loose.

When I walk up to a table and I see a kid on a DS I never just grab it from him. I begin my opening routine and if he's still knee deep in the game and I can tell the parents are "annoyed" by the fact that the kids still on it, then I grab it and perform Pressure. The level of amazement seems to override the fact that I just took the kids DS.

But again...my character, demeanor, attitude, confidence, etc. lends itself to do this and have it play very well. Never once since I began doing this have I offened anyone. That's not to say it won't happen at some point...but again, as long as I continue to read my audiences correctly, then I feel I'm fine.

So again...if your character doesn't lend itself to this type of thing...don't do it. For me, it's an icebreaker that works very well!

Thanks Scott for tossing out that very well thought out concern. = )

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I am in competition with the TV (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL