The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Strong Magic and Designing Miracles question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Hey everyone,
I've been wanting to get Strong Magic for a while now, but I haven't been able to, yet. But after doing some research on it, I came across 2 or 3 people who said that although Strong Magic was written first, Designing Miracles should be read first. I was just wondering what those of you who have both think. Strong magic or Designing Miracles first? Thanks,
JIMC64
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I'd make your choice dependent upon what it is that you want to work on. Strong Magic is a great book for reanalyzing presentation -- basically, making the effects meaningful and enjoyable. Designing Miracles is a good book for routine construction -- basically, making the effects convincing and deceptive.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Andrew pretty much said there is all to be said between the difference of these books. I started reading designing miracles. Plus it's a shorter book. You can take it with you anywhere Smile.
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
I started with Strong Magic. I've read both twice so I guess it didn't really matter. They are both excellent. When I read them for the third time I will start with Strong Magic as presentation skills have a higher priority for me.
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
I read Designing Miracles first, simply because I came across it first.

The logical argument is that you should read Designing Miracles first to understand how to design a routine and then read Strong Magic in order to learn how to present it.

In my opinion, regardless of the order read, both books can make you a better magician.

Ortiz is great!
Rafael The Master Hypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
South East Asia
498 Posts

Profile of Rafael The Master Hypnotist
Quote:
On 2009-09-11 14:05, JIMclubber64 wrote:
Hey everyone,
Strong magic or Designing Miracles first? Thanks,
JIMC64

this Question is the same like asking:

"....Wich one is better INHALE or EXHALE?...."

I read them both, and usualy re-read them again at the same time jumping from page to page, depending on what Im working on

The BIGEST Room in the world is the Room for Improvement
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 12:36, Rafael The Master Hypnotist wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-11 14:05, JIMclubber64 wrote:
Hey everyone,
Strong magic or Designing Miracles first? Thanks,
JIMC64

this Question is the same like asking:

"....Wich one is better INHALE or EXHALE?...."

Actually, it's not. It's asking which one should be done first. Personally, I would not reccomend exhaling until after you've inhaled. But maybe that's just me. Smile

But it sounds like I want to go with Strong Magic first, because presentation is what I believe I need to work on more.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Strong Magic and Designing Miracles question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL