The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic effects for the Panto Aladdin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I've been cast as The Genie of the Lamp in the local Gilbert and Sullivan's Panto Xmas production of Aladdin. The producers would like me to perform some magic as I sing the song You Aint Never Had a Friend at the part which goes...

"Can your friends do this? (production of item or D'lite)
Do your friends do that? (vanish same item)
Do your friends pull this out of their little hat? (ten foot pole)
Can your friends go, poof? (vanish of pole?)
Well, looking here ( ? )
Can your friends, go Abracadabra, let er rip ( The Lean )
And then make the sucker disappear?" ( ? )

Thanks for any help you can provide me with this...best!

jeff

ps. I will be particularly indebted my British magii coleagues who will no doubt have a ton of Panto experience and wisdom.
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Hi Jeff
Cant say I know the song. Are the lines quite close together or is there time to set a trick in between lines?

Jimbo
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
D'Lite is good for #1 and #2.
10 Foot pole is too slow for #3, and will be tough to vanish. I recommend producing a vanishing candle from your hat, lighting it as you pull it up. Since it's a vanishing candle, the vanish for #4 is a no-brainer.

For "Well, looky here...", You could poke your hand through the hat (it would be a hollow cloth tube with a pocket for the candle) and if you can do The Lean, this would be a nice touch, but should not "count" as one of the tricks, but just be something you can do because you're a Genii...and as you bring your hand back out of the hat it would be holding something attached to a pull, like a large jeweled necklace or ring or flower that you can make disappear for the last line.

I'm sure you realize the director will want this to be precise and in time with the music, not slowing down the number.

Break a leg!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic effects for the Panto Aladdin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL