The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Finding Work: Magic vs. Personality (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
It's been my experience that people remember the laughter they've had with you more than the "tricks" you do. Nobody really believes that magic is real, they just want a good show! That's where your personality comes in, it makes the magic enjoyable!

Sir Richard!
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 17:45, Sir Richard wrote:
It's been my experience that people remember the laughter they've had with you more than the "tricks" you do. Nobody really believes that magic is real, they just want a good show! That's where your personality comes in, it makes the magic enjoyable!

Sir Richard!

I don't agree at all. People will remember "that guy" that put a coin in a beer bottle way longer than "that guy" who was so pleasant and funny.

It is not about "magic being real." It is about magic being "remarkable and memorable."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 01:31, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
But really, isn't it all about communicating with the audience? Isn't an art form about some form of communication, and therefore, is not the art itself a tool used to communicate one's passions, feelings, emotions, perspective, soul? I use magic as a tool to share my love of people, of life, of fun.

This should be true, but it isn't always. Even in the graphic arts, there are those who thin it is far better to keep the message hidden, so that the only person who really understands the message is the artist himself.

People like this are essentially communicating only with themselves, that is, they are talking to themselves.

So what does that make them?

Quote:
On 2009-09-18 03:04, JamesinLA wrote:
Beethoven was the transitional figure in that change; he bridged both worlds and he was the first to introduce what became known as "program music" which was music that had a meaning outside of its own pure intrinsic musical meaning. The example of this was Beethoven's 6th symphony, The Pastoral symphony. Most people know it from the disney movie Fantasia. The music was supposed to represent different images and scenes to the listener, including a thunderstorm. This was the first big example of music with an extra musical meaning.

That's not entirely true. Kuhnau's "Bible Sonatas" were program music. So were Vivaldi's "Four Seasons."

Programmatic elements in music are known as far back as Monteverdi. In his "Orfeo," he represents the sounds of the souls lamenting in Hell by the use of sackbuts, i.e. early trombones. To quote my old music history professor, "and people have been going to Hell with the trombones ever since."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
You got me, Bill. There was also I think a Hyden symphony about birds or clocks or something. But think the big change came with Beethoven and after him it seemed everything became program music: certainly everything Beriloz wrote, etc.

I again agree with Whit about spectators remembering certain effects. The really interesting thing about that is the way they will MisRemember what they saw. Have you guys noticed that. They will sometimes make the trick sound more impossible than it was. Also sometimes they will combine to different effects into one memory. Have you ever had that happen?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Great personality hands down. I still love and do restaurant and bar work but it is much more about hospitality and making sure the guests have a great time. Magic absolutely comes secondary.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 18:18, Whit Haydn wrote:
Quote:

Sir Richard!

I don't agree at all. People will remember "that guy" that put a coin in a beer bottle way longer than "that guy" who was so pleasant and funny.

It is not about "magic being real." It is about magic being "remarkable and memorable."
I totally agree. One example is David Blaine. He didn't have people patting him on the back telling him what a great guy he was. They were astonished watching his magic.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
Nobody really believes that magic is real

I agree with most of what has been said on this thread, with advice from those "in the know," but feel that many/most people "believe in real magic" or at least the possibility of it. This is definitional, of course, but belief in prayer by one person is a belief in magic for another. As we are able to act as persons doing magical things, there has to be an actual 'magic' that we are pretending to do. Just because we can't define it exactly does not mean that "nobody believes."

I am skeptical of what most people call magical experiences, but could write a book on events that 'defy rational explaination' -- that being one definition of magic.

Everyone wishes/hopes to be more than they are. A magician fuels that hope by activing a person's belief that the improbably can be made manifest -- even conquering death, which is the theme of many magical effects.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Funsway, you are the man!
I agree totally. I wish I had a dollar for every spectator that said something along the lines of, "but you can't do REAL magic...". That simple criticism implies so much about what they think IS possible and their belief in the possibility of real magic existing in the world.
I have a fantastic response to this criticism now that gently leaves doubt in their minds as to whether or not they are correct, without making any outrageous claims.
Also this whole debate seems a little off key to me.
If by personality you mean the script, presentation and the approach, then you really can't separate it from the effect, because a moment of pure magic relies upon leading the audience down a path to that moment.
I'm sure there are magicians in the world who have terrible nasty personalities but can perform beautiful entertaining magic because they are "performers" when they have an audience. Maybe that's just semantics, I don't know.
Also, didn't Houdin's famous quote pertain more to separating himself from the occult image (or charlatan image) that magicians had prior to his revolutionary presentation of magic (for self preservation mostly!)?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Well, sure, I think people have meant your performing personality not who you really are. Not to say that there is not or could not be overlap of the real you.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 18:53, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
But really, isn't it all about communicating with the audience? Isn't an art form about some form of communication, and therefore, is not the art itself a tool used to communicate one's passions, feelings, emotions, perspective, soul? I use magic as a tool to share my love of people, of life, of fun.

This should be true, but it isn't always. Even in the graphic arts, there are those who thin it is far better to keep the message hidden, so that the only person who really understands the message is the artist himself.

People like this are essentially communicating only with themselves, that is, they are talking to themselves.

Several possibilities come to mind:

- Narcissists
- Ventriloquists
- Schizophrenics
- "Semi-Pro" magicians
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-09-18 02:48, Whit Haydn wrote:
Quote:

My personality is the conduit through which my art (magic) flows in order to make that connection. Otherwise, why bother performing for other people? If it is just about the magic, I can do it alone at home--I don't need to do it in front of an audience.

My opinion is that personality is WAY more important than what tricks you might do or your technical expertise.

"YOU are the magic! The props only come along for the ride!" - Albert Goshman

Al Goshman could say that, because he was technically flawless. He had more technical expertise than most magicians.

Personality is the vehicle for the artform, but the artform is the package being delivered.

True enough, Whit, but let me fill in the context from which this quote comes...

"YOU ARE THE MAGIC. The props only come along for the ride. If you are a strong enough performer, it doesn't matter what you do. You're selling "you." That was the greatest discovery I ever made. Because I only use one magic prop as such in the act, which is the rising card deck. I have some coins, sponges, salt and pepper shakers, bottle tops and some tape recorded music. There are no props. It's all me...me...me. But it took years for me to understand that."

I agree that the magic should be strong. I agree that Goshman was the man technically. But I still would rather have the person booking the entertainment thinking, "We need Scott F. Guinn" rather than "We need a guy who can levitate." Lots of guys can get the gig if all that's required is the ability to do a Balducci Levitation. But only ONE guy can get the gig when they want ME. I sell ME.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Quote:
On 2009-09-26 02:58, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 18:53, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:

Several possibilities come to mind:

- Narcissists
- Ventriloquists
- Schizophrenics
- "Semi-Pro" magicians

Scott,why mention semi-pro magicians...I fall into that bracket,and strive to be up there with the best on every level magic wise,so why single out Semi-pro`s.... nowt heavy,just wondered...Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Because, after 13 years as a full-time pro, I took a "real" job and am now a "semi-pro" (or "part-time" pro). I typically only make insults about groups to which I belong. It was a statement made with tongue firmly planted in cheek while looking in the mirror.
My Lybrary Page
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Quote:
On 2009-09-26 12:51, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Because, after 13 years as a full-time pro, I took a "real" job and am now a "semi-pro" (or "part-time" pro). I typically only make insults about groups to which I belong. It was a statement made with tongue firmly planted in cheek while looking in the mirror.

Ok,I missed the humour there,thanks for explaining Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

I am also a ventriloquist, and probably a bit of a narcissist.
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Finding Work: Magic vs. Personality (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL