The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown - How to Control the Nation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Alfster
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Alfster
I know a little about mentalism routines but not much and I do read around various texts on the subject. The stuff in the second episode I have not seen before - Ok the induction stuff as the finale wasn't exactly subtle but that's the technique.

The large majority of the people watching will never have seen a chair prediction or the giraffe trick (although he has done it before in a supermarket.) For the large majority of people it's new stuff. So to say 'enough of the chair predictions' means you are out of touch with people who are...out of touch with magic in general especially mentalism - because it's new to them. Would you say no more cutting people in half when there are plenty of people growing up who have never seen that effect? For some people the last magician they will have seen is Paul Daniels such is the lack of TV magic failing that probably Blaine.

As to whether pre-show work turns people into unwitting confederates/stooges is an interesting concept. My take on it is that if the person(s) were interviewed afterwards and honestly didn't know what was going on or that they had been prepared in any way then the trick works for the that person and that's what the viewer is seeing.

Also, some people seem to love to knock success and those cleverer than they are and exalt stupidity...a sign of the age but that should not mean dumbing down and sticking with hte lowest common denominator.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
My problem is that I am very jaded. Mentalism and hypnosis which I used to love bores me to tears sadly.

Derren Brown Bores me to tears. I can't sit through more than five mins of his shows they are torture for me. I thought he would have peaked then disappeared years ago. I was wrong. I thought the lottery prediction was a bad stunt to do. Because its so obvious that it must be a trick - I was wrong too.

I have not ever experienced so many lay people talk about him in all the years hes been on TV. People who before wouldn't even watch him if you told them too.

This last week or so I've heard more about Brown than ever before from those around me, on the radio and in the papers.

Whatever you think its irellevant whatever he is doing IS working better than ever. He is becoming a mainstream name at last. I'm just not a good judge when it comes to seeing things fresh.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
It seems to me that Derren's choices of shows are good marketing strategies. Perhaps they were put together with this in mind. With someone who knows how to tap into the market?

It would make sense that part of why he has lasted and getting stronger is because they have a strong marketer as part of their creative team. And each "phase" of his career has been partially influenced by the market.

When he first started his first two series he appeared to be real. Which would attract a certain niche of the public. Then they would get fed up with that eventually and he also started to attract the professional sceptics.

So the next phase was to extend the waning limited market by doing the Russian Roulette stunt. This would gain lots of media coverage but also put more doubt in peoples mind about him being genuine. This would attract those that respond to magicians as now he was postitioning himself as a magician-mind reader.

Then the sceance followed by messiah series would again get coverage but attract another aspect of the public..now he wasn't just a magician but tapping into something that was controvertial and he positioned himself as an educator..not just a magician. ow the sceptics couldn't touch him he was "one" of them.

His last two stunts look as though they were designed to suck in as much of the market as possible. Lottery to grab the headlines and get huge coverage in the media followed immediately by audience participation and basic hypnosis. (wide appeal)

Marketeers have been doing this sort of thing with products for ever.

I think his team are great marketeers as much as anything else.
puppeteer
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of puppeteer
I do not know this much about magic. mayb his tricks r lame. that's your field of knowlegde guys.

but from a point of marketing the only question is
1. if he gets the market share he wantz and
2. if he can hold and xtend that.

so it is all about the market share and @ least pplz vote.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On 2009-09-23 16:08, puppeteer wrote:
I do not know this much about magic. mayb his tricks r lame. that's your field of knowlegde guys.

word up bro
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Nikodini
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Nikodini
This Friday Derren will blow the lid on remote viewing and psychic spies. It will be an interesting show for sure!

And those of you claiming you're clairvoyant, give it a shot here:

http://derrenbrown.channel4.com/derren-b......py.shtml

Draw your prediction!

Quote:

Word up! Fo shizzle ma nizzle!
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 21:39, Lord Of The Horses wrote:

I would only add to Copperfield another man who also has the same DB initials... Smile

Would his initials be DC?
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
No!

DB...
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
DG?

M
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 04:00, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
No!

DB...

Hmmm ok.

So why do TV magicians share these initials?

Derren Brown
David Blaine
David Berglas
And David Copperfield?
Nikodini
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Nikodini
Quote:

Derren Brown
David Blaine
David Berglas
And David Copperfield?

DB & DC.

PS: They're all Jewish too.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Don't think they are.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
[quote]On 2009-09-24 04:47, Nikodini wrote:
Quote:

Derren Brown
David Blaine
David Berglas
And David Copperfield?

Derren's not Jewish: he's a former happy-clappy Christian turned atheist/agnostic, apparently.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 05:23, ross welford wrote:
Derren's not Jewish: he's a former happy-clappy Christian turned atheist/agnostic, apparently.
]

That's exactly what happened to me.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-09-24 06:03, kinesis wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 05:23, ross welford wrote:
]

That's exactly what happened to me.

Amazing! He controlled you to follow him in his choice...

Derren is incredible!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
He's very good, my change in belief system happened 20+ years ago. Maybe it was a one-ahead routine
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

No... It was a twenty+ ahead routine...
puppeteer
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of puppeteer
Quote:

Quote:

Word up! Fo shizzle ma nizzle!

yeah lets joke - not hate.. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown - How to Control the Nation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL