The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Where to get a West African Ten Cent Piece? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Hi all,

Where can I get a West African ten cent piece?

I can't find one at all. I called my coin shop, but they had no clue what I was talking about.

Thanks

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
gforster
View Profile
Regular user
californian living in wisconsin
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
West African or British West African? British West Africa is modern-day Nigeria, so there is a difference.
EVENTVS STVLTORVM MAGISTER
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
I am looking for a British West African one cent piece.

It is the coin that Mr. Curtis uses for New York Spellbound.

Thanks for pointing out that.
Do you know where I can get some?

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
gforster
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
Ah, yes. Actually I do. I am ordering one from Todd Lassen (along with a C/S). Also, check Ebay, I have seen some there. Remember, you can use any coin with a hole that is the same size. There are also some on internet coin shops. They are rather inexpensive.
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
130 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
Actually, I think you mean an East African ten cent piece. Many coin shops sell them at a reasonable price. I also found a large stash of them for a fabulous price at a flea market in Nairobi, but that's another story for another time. . .
gforster
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
No, if he is looking for what Curtis Kam used in the NYSB, he is looking for a British West African (Nigerian) One Cent piece. It is about the size of a half dollar, copper, with a hole in it and the Star of David around the hole.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Thanks for the info, guys. I've used the two coins interchangeably, although I do like the Star of David, it's very distinct.

Brad, either one will do, and if Mr. Cowan has them in great quantity, prehaps he can sell one to you. If so, buy two. One will eventually get lost.

And Jeff, if you have a source for these coins, I'll be happy to send people your way.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
There's no real reason to use the West African coin (which I found a couple of years ago in the local coin shops misc. bin), except if you want to steal Curtis' line about the Latin inscription...

I'm ashamed to admit I found so funny I almost went to dig out the coin.

Really liked the CSB routine on Silverado Curtis... and C/S Bent (but I wish you'd given it a different title so as not to spoil the ending.
Smile
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Hmmmmmm....

Good question.

Oh wait, I'll be right back. I am going to go watch the E-BAY commercial. Cough Cough. Hint Hint.

Andrew Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Jonathan R
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Jonathan R
Quote:
On 2003-06-09 17:15, Curtis Kam wrote:
Thanks for the info, guys. I've used the two coins interchangeably, although I do like the Star of David, it's very distinct.

Brad, either one will do, and if Mr. Cowan has them in great quantity, prehaps he can sell one to you. If so, buy two. One will eventually get lost.

And Jeff, if you have a source for these coins, I'll be happy to send people your way.

Curtis,
What do you mean by "Although I do like the star of david"??
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
uh, apparently only the West African coin bears the "Star". The East African 10 cent, while otherwise similar, does not have that distinctive "star around the hole" design.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Where to get a West African Ten Cent Piece? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL