The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Time Machine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Is the new Time Machine movie worth seeing? How does it compare to the Rod Taylor sixties version? At the end of the day I doubt it varies much from Well's book.

How about The Panic Room and Blade 2?

A good British gangster movie now available on video in the USA is Sexy Beast. Ben Kingsley (Ghandi) was nominated for best supporting actor for that, I was surprised he didn't get it.

Paul.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Time machine was an ok movie... havn't seen the first one so I can't comment on how it compares. I thought it was a nice watch but by no means a masterpiece. The ending is apparently terrible compared to the one that wells wrote, I thought it was an ok way to finish the thing off.
My biggest gripe with it is the total lack of attention to the laws of physics. They didn't throw a bunch of math at the audience which is good but lets just say that things happen that should not physically be possible. To say any more would ruin the plot and I wont do that to you...

Pretty much, if you have nothing to do go see it. However, if you can only see one movie go see something else like blade or death to smoochy if you like vampires or dark comedies.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Hey Paul. We just got back from seeing Panic Room. I thought it was pretty entertaining. The wife was rattled pretty good as the movie really attacks something I think most women fear.

Not fantastic but it made for a fun afternoon.
Yakworld.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The original Time Machine is far superior to the remake.

Panic Room is linear, but well directed and acted.

Blade II is just campy horror fun.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I saw the Time Machine, and thought they did a credible job. I don't see it as an actual re-make, but more of a different interpretation of the original story.

H.G.Well's great grandson directed the film, and I must say it came across in a very tasteful way. Very difficult to do a film that is already viewed as a classic.

As far as the laws of physics, well, when it comes to time travel, it's pretty much all theory anyway. Smile

I thought it was good enough to anticipate the dvd release. I'll place it right next to the original. Just my two cents. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I understand there's a new movie called Time Machine out starring Rod Taylor and the sexy Yvette Mimieux! Can't wait to see it!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
What time zone are you in?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The older film had some charm and pathos - check the scenes with Alan Young.
The new one has something else - check the scenes with Orlando Jones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkc09sTiS7g
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 19:17, landmark wrote:
I understand there's a new movie called Time Machine out starring Rod Taylor and the sexy Yvette Mimieux! Can't wait to see it!

I'm going to see Harry Houdini's show at the Orpheum next week!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
He works on Yom Kippur? Sandy K., I hear, is going to refuse.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 21:13, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
The older film had some charm and pathos - check the scenes with Alan Young.
The new one has something else - check the scenes with Orlando Jones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkc09sTiS7g

Love the Andrew Lloyd Webber parody!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Remember everybody, acording to Albert Einstein and the theory of relativity, you can go back in time. All you have to do is travel faster than light. This works out mathematically, but would it really work? Who knows. The same theory however, says it is much easier to go forward in time. You need only travel at very high speeds. This was proven byt the U.S. Air Force in 1974 using synchronized atomic clocks. Dear Al is referenced in the newer movie.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you want time travel fun - try Stoss's story "Palimpsest" for scope or "All you Zombies" for personal perspective. Well's allegory of the cave in the future is ... what it is.

I like the older film more than the newer one even if the newer one takes things more seriously.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Digging up an 11 year thread is time travel. Smile

I enjoyed the 2002 remake. It was fascinating.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Time After Time is a fun movie. It involves H.G. Wells and Jack the Ripper.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
If you are into Time Travel sci-fi ...

I highly recommend
"Somewhere In Time" - starring Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve.
A classic romance which travels the boundaries of time.
A cult film, filmed in the USA, an absolute must see and has a great web following
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oddly enough, there is sort of a musical based on "The Time Machine." Michael Crawford agreed to do a show in Las Vegas called "EFX." It concerned a character called "The Effects Master" who takes us through he realm where all dreams are stored. ("Remember that rocket ship you drew in the third grade? It's here!" An animated rocket ship that looks like it was drawn by a third grader shoots up into the sky.)

As part of the story, he shows up great dreamers both real and fictional. Merlin, Harry Houdini, P.T. Barnum and the Time Traveller (who technically, never had a name in the original story) have sequences. Being that it's a Vegas show, a lot of the sequences deal with girls in skimpy costumes doing dance numbers.

Michael got a lot of flak from the Broadway crowd for "selling out" and doing a Vegas show, but I think it was actually pretty good. (And today, Broadway has "discovered" Vegas and at least one Broadway show was condensed to 20 minutes or so and put on as a Vegas show.)

Here's Michael's number traveling through time;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMjrcA6Sp80

Here's the commercial with a quick shot of the Time Machine and a shot of Michael as the Time Traveler fighting Morlocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRIhZgbYvEQ
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 22:42, Cliffg37 wrote:
Remember everybody, acording to Albert Einstein and the theory of relativity, you can go back in time. All you have to do is travel faster than light. This works out mathematically, but would it really work? Who knows. The same theory however, says it is much easier to go forward in time. You need only travel at very high speeds. This was proven byt the U.S. Air Force in 1974 using synchronized atomic clocks. Dear Al is referenced in the newer movie.

All accurate, but limited to linear travel along a time helix. One day someone will figure out how to "jump coils" and therefore short circuit the journey...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 21:48, landmark wrote:
He works on Yom Kippur? Sandy K., I hear, is going to refuse.

I was in a high school yesterday in the nether reaches of Brooklyn, and there was a dusty plaque on the wall, kind of hidden behind the large security front desk and an open auditorium door. I sidled over to the wall and there were a bunch of names on it. Me, being at the tender age where I can't read without glasses, put on my specs, and saw the little plaque had about ten names etched into it, famous alumni of the school. First on the list was Sandy Koufax. I was ready to sing and dance and proclaim to the students, "Sandy Koufax, Sandy Koufax!" But then I realized no one would have the slightest idea of what I was talking about.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Time Machine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL