The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Chinese Sticks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I am looking for some plans for Chinese Sticks, something more like the Manchurian Sticks or something larger than the smaller ones. They don't have to be bamboo but they must look cool. I hope to add a remote control motor in order to get the maximum comedy effect, but just a standard plan will work for now. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Having just done a comedy routine that involved tropical madness and pulling a "limbo" pole out of my pants (being female this played rather...interesting),
what about setting up your mechanism inside some appearing -from your pants maybe- poles. Depending on your audience age, and type, you can ask someone to "pull the tassel", or put a glass eye on the end and call it a 'winky'

At least if you are going for the comedy aspect.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
So maybe I could build some appearing chinese sticks? Or large ones taken from a small chinese bag or something. I found some plans on line for $7 so if I could get the mechanism to work after the appearance I'd be in buisness. GREAT IDEA !!!! I'd love to pull a Limbo Pole out of my pants in my Slim King routine. It would totally fit with the mentality of that act. Don't want to steal your idea but I sure would like to borrow it! Very funny....
Thanks for the ideas. Did you make your own pole or puchase one? Smile

I thought that Magic Auction was selling plans for the sticks but I was WRONG. They are selling sticks. Sooooo I still need plans. Anyone? Pleeze....
Thanks
Dave Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I believe that there are "plans" and a routine in which the Chinese Sticks are destroyed, in "Martin's Miracles" by Eric Lewis.

0pus
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Slim King, I would be honored by your use of the Limbo pole from pants! (I only reserve, if possible, my line of "wait a minute!!! what's this in my pants!?!") I am getting folks trained to actually ask me!-having pulled the limbo pole, the rabbit, a dissapeared card, and other things! Amazing where a topit can be used!! Sounds like I need to make a trip to the south lands to see "the Slim King!"

I had a thought on a mechanism that ought to work, though I have not tried it. I was going to PM you, but kept getting an error message. Shoot me a line, I you would like to share with you. I think it ought to work fairly easily with the appearing poles.
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Martin Lewis's tape "Making Magic" shows how to make some sticks.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks everyone! I've been playing with these "Poles' for several days now (Yikes)and more and more ideas come to mind. I still can't figure out just how to put the Chinese Sticks mechanism in, in a timely fashion. I think that I can do it but I will have to work pretty fast while the audience waits and watches. If I just cap the end everything should just feed into the tube as it comes together. Still Brainstorming.

Opus;
Do you know if the plans are in the new Eric Lewis CD put out by his son? Can't remember the name without searching.....
Dave Smile Smile
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I do not believe that "Personal Magic," the CD containing the magic of Eric Lewis and put out by Eric's son -- Martin Lewis -- contains the Chinese Sticks material.

Now, to confuse the matter, the book "Martin's Miracles," containing the magic of MARTIN Lewis and written by Martin's FATHER -- ERIC Lewis -- contains the Chinese Sticks material in Chapter 5 under the title 'The Inscrutable Sticks.'

In addition, Martin Lewis's video "Making Magic," contains the Chinese Sticks material under the title "Ripstix."

Is everyone now properly confused?

0pus
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
No confusion. Martin Lewis emailed me and I believe that you, Opus, are correct in every aspect of your post! I am making the mock up sticks tonight. I'm starting with a pair 2&1/2 feet long. I'm using my daughters play-doh, yarn, the rod covers and a cap from some hair conditioner.
Let's Party!
Dave Smile
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Eric Lewis might have published plans and ideas in one of his "Miracles" books. They are "A Choice of Miracles", "Continuation of Miracles", and "The Crowning Miracles". I will check them and post here when I find out something. They are generally available from used book sources such as abebooks.com or eBay.

I own a set of Chinese Sticks that belonged to Eric Lewis. They are made from square brass tubing, painted light blue, and have craft-store jewels glued on.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
In his book Funny Stuff, Tom Ladshaw tells you how to make up a unique version of the chinese sticks using woman's pumps.(high heel shoes) The idea is the heel of each shoe goes down like the tassel on the chinese sticks.
Something I used to perform years ago was Gateen Blooms Crazy Bicycle Pumps which was quite unique.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://www.paulromhanymagic.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Magi:

Something with which I've been toying is a bizarre take on the Chinese Sticks (IMO, a Classic prop that's still in search of a REALLY boffo routine). At any rate, I'm replacing the tassles with miniature nooses; the Sticks, of course, become a gallows or tree branches, and the condemned, Three Magi.

The first Mage is brought forward to the Slumber Lumber (by the Lord High Executioner or Hang 'Em High Harry) and the noose is lowered, but won't quite reach. The Hangman pulls the other noose down, but as he does so the first noose shrinks and shortens out of reach -- a sign of Divine intervention, so the prisoner is reprieved. Next the nooses (noosae? nice? Not sure of the plural) are separated, and again, the first one isn't low enough. The second is stretched, and the first shrinks (repeat as needed), and so the condemned is set free. The third Mage is brought to the ropes, and having seen the executioner's dilemma, offers assistance. A pleasant sort, but none too swift he brightly chirps, "Here, this should help!" and casts a Magic spell. Immediately both ropes are long enough, and dangle obediently, waiting for their prey. Fortunately, the first wizard has been watching all along and spares his foolish peer a short drop & a quick stop with his own Magic -- instantly both ropes shorten and the Magi necks are spared...that day, at least.

Sincerely,
Leland Edward Stone
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go to http://www.stevensmagic.com and buy my "Plumber's Poles." Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I just got a good set of sticks at Daytona Magic's Hurricane sale for 30% off. Looks like they will be having another sale soon! Those plumber poles look funeeeee! Gotta run...Here comes Frances!
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I recommend the Ping and Pong Chines Sticks as the best new set you can readily get. They work very well.

Here is my Chinese Stick Scrapbook:

http://s474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110......lideshow

I have them all except the 3 or 4 I am looking for, and help would be appreciated.

ACE
Joe(JOJO)Strauch
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
Plans for the Chinese sticks??? Talk to me at the net meeting slim

z
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Plans? 1st a collection.
2nd. a nice online photo album
3rd. to have 50 magicians stand in a row at a magic convention holding these sticks. I will pull the first string, and it will start a chain reaction. And to have it on video.

ACE
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Oops, I misread the last question. LOL.

well, anyway, those are MY plans!

ACE
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
If you want plans for Chinese Sticks, just buy the cheapest set and take them apart and you will see eveything you need to know.

Updated collection:
http://s474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110......tart=all
or http://s474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110......lideshow

ACE Smile (the dancing stickman)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Chinese Sticks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL