The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Guys, you know what I mean.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Ok, not to discriminate against any female magicians out there (if any xD), but this is really a male kind of question.

I've been playing with different effects (Raven, Invisible Deck, Mind Power Deck, etc etc), card sleights (Think-a-Card variations, Richard Osterlind's stack and so on), and some other things (like coin through glass, spongeballs, ropes etc) with a friend magician of mine, at college between classes, and basically enjoying every minute of it.

So I have a question now, like all 16 year old's probably wonder, no matter how old you are, there has probably been some time when you were trying really hard to impress some girl. I don't know what works yet because, well, I'm still kind of young.

I know that magic is an art and its not all just for wasting on girls, but I just thought it would be nice if I had a few nice impresses effects for the female kind E.G., nothing like Sick by Sein Fields (sorry Sean!)

Thanks!
nUmb_Leon
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of nUmb_Leon
Last week was my last day of year 12 and final assembly..
I have been performing in High school for 2 year..
It makes me become one of the most popular guy in the school..
everyone knows me and like me..
but I don't have a girl friend:P(I am not bad looking)
One thing for sure is that magic will make you popular..
But not necessarily make you have more friends and girls..
Becuz if you wanna be a magic guy.. U can't make friends..

As you get into magic.. U are different from others..
I mean the way of thinking..!
Think about it.. and look at those happy couple in ur school..
How do they get together.. what's the guy like..?
How do normal people make friends..?
How do you make good friend.?
Don't you find urself more comfortable with ur magic friends..?
Why..?
Becuz all the friendship and relationship is build up on honesty..
Therefore.. If give a imagine of urself as a magic guy.. that mean you are a trickster..
No matter if you are entertaining them, U are tricking them in their mind..
and ur imagine of a trickster is hard to change.. people expect you to be a magician guy 24/7. but just a magic guy..
My advice to you is to put down the card and coin and just be a normal guy..
U will have ur chance to show off ur mad skill..! Set up ur imagine as their friend first, and then should them ur skill.. girls would love it..
It makes them curious about you.. becuz they don't know what's in ur mind.. Smile
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Hay there what a cool post very different to most. Practice your craft and get it right. I agree with the last post get them to know you as you not just as a magic guy. I know magic is part of you but don't use it as a screen to hide behind. A good entertainer should shine a good personality so make suer you invest time and effort in that as well because after all this is what people like to see in a entertainer or friend.

I don't want to sound like an old guy but I am (35) it will happen you will meet a girl. I would not do magic every were you go only do it at parties and maybe special get together. Don't go pulling your deck out every time you see a girl.

Tricks that girl like are physic mind reading ones or one with cute sponge bunnies. I do one were I get a girl to put a wish in a bubble then I turn that bubble in to a solid glass sphere ,so she take here wish. I only do this if there a lot of girls around men are not in to that.

Have fun enjoy magic/girls. And enjoy your magic and let other enjoy it as well.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Thanks for both of the great replies, @ nUmb_Leon, I guess I will try Smile Friends first, Magic second. Smile

@Yellowcustard, thanks for the tips, I might get Paralies for this. However, do you know the name of the bubble gum to sphere trick, or was it your own creation?

Thanks again.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
There is nothing wrong with using your magic skills to pick up girls. The skills set you apart from the rest of the guys. The mystery certainly does the same thing. I wouldn't advise using your magic skills to go shoplifting, but you certainly should take advantage of your skills to get what you want. Learning magic is hard enough, you should enjoy all the benefits it brings.
I've had a lot of fun with girls because of magic, and I even met my ex-wife by doing a simple French Drop (that got me our first date), well, that and my smile!

I use all sleight of hand and one or two unseen utility gimmicks, but no actual store bought effects. For a quick, apparently impromptu, ice-breaker, I do a one coin routine that is my own. I read her response to this and if she seems attracted to this, then I might do one of the following. Also, just saying "I'm a magician" breaks the ice and if she responds positively to this, I might do one of the following.
Paul Gertner's Coins Across into the spectator's hand is probably the most flirtatious routine I do. I prefer to sit facing her, knees to knees, she has to be close, and do the routine into her right hand. There is a lot of intimacy in this if you do it right and she will melt.
A standard coins across routine in the same situation (knees to knees) is also very strong. Lay the coins in her palms, using her hands like a table top. This is also very flirty.
YellowCustard mentioned psychic mind reading tricks and he is right to a certain extent. Mind reading tricks will drive a woman crazy and you can have a lot of fun with them - she will nag you to no end to tell her how you "did that", but the effects have to be direct (like a center tear or using your stack). Mind reading creates an aura of really weird mystery around you that a lot of women can't resist trying to figure out. However, IMO, Cold Reading can become too personal too fast and can make you into just another "girlfriend" unless you really have the personality for it. I've had too many girls start to cry during a palm reading (they can be very emotional and you never know what button might turn on the waterworks...), and that turns ME off.

Just be charming and let the magic create the mystery. Don't do too much talking, make a lot of puzzling eye contact, and let her come to her own conclusions. And be ready for anything...

Maybe I've said too much, and it's all just my opinion, but it's a subject I'm kind of fond of and enjoy! Too many magicians act like it's not right to USE magic to pick up girls. Maybe they're all married? You are only 16. If you work on it, by the time you are 21, you will be glad you did.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-10-24 11:36, DDecae wrote:
There is nothing wrong with using your magic skills to pick up girls. The skills set you apart from the rest of the guys. The mystery certainly does the same thing. I wouldn't advise using your magic skills to go shoplifting, but you certainly should take advantage of your skills to get what you want. Learning magic is hard enough, you should enjoy all the benefits it brings.
I've had a lot of fun with girls because of magic, and I even met my ex-wife by doing a simple French Drop (that got me our first date), well, that and my smile!

I use all sleight of hand and one or two unseen utility gimmicks, but no actual store bought effects. For a quick, apparently impromptu, ice-breaker, I do a one coin routine that is my own. I read her response to this and if she seems attracted to this, then I might do one of the following. Also, just saying "I'm a magician" breaks the ice and if she responds positively to this, I might do one of the following.
Paul Gertner's Coins Across into the spectator's hand is probably the most flirtatious routine I do. I prefer to sit facing her, knees to knees, she has to be close, and do the routine into her right hand. There is a lot of intimacy in this if you do it right and she will melt.
A standard coins across routine in the same situation (knees to knees) is also very strong. Lay the coins in her palms, using her hands like a table top. This is also very flirty.
YellowCustard mentioned psychic mind reading tricks and he is right to a certain extent. Mind reading tricks will drive a woman crazy and you can have a lot of fun with them - she will nag you to no end to tell her how you "did that", but the effects have to be direct (like a center tear or using your stack). Mind reading creates an aura of really weird mystery around you that a lot of women can't resist trying to figure out. However, IMO, Cold Reading can become too personal too fast and can make you into just another "girlfriend" unless you really have the personality for it. I've had too many girls start to cry during a palm reading (they can be very emotional and you never know what button might turn on the waterworks...), and that turns ME off.

Just be charming and let the magic create the mystery. Don't do too much talking, make a lot of puzzling eye contact, and let her come to her own conclusions. And be ready for anything...

Maybe I've said too much, and it's all just my opinion, but it's a subject I'm kind of fond of and enjoy! Too many magicians act like it's not right to USE magic to pick up girls. Maybe they're all married? You are only 16. If you work on it, by the time you are 21, you will be glad you did.

Thank you for your feedback, I am not really a big fan of hyp/cold reading, too many variables in there for me Smile
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Hay dude I meant the washing up liquid type bubbles that you you had as a kid that floated across the sky. you can buy special pots but I use a basic slight and a regular bubble pot. I have just found theses tiny pots that are great.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-10-26 18:36, Yellowcustard wrote:
Hay dude I meant the washing up liquid type bubbles that you you had as a kid that floated across the sky. you can buy special pots but I use a basic slight and a regular bubble pot. I have just found theses tiny pots that are great.

Ah! Will have to try. Thanks again for all the great ideas/responses.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of impossible man
Here's a very indirect but effective approach. Use the magic to learn confidence. Then skip the tricks as you are first getting to know a girl, unless you just HAVE to have an icebreaker. Once you know how to present yourself you can perform the real magic that works with people - get interested in them. The first time you see her, just say hello. There, you've broken the ice. The next time you might start a SHORT conversation. "Hey, I saw you in the Fall play. That looks like fun. Were you nervous?" Something that shows you're really interested in HER. As the conversations grow, you'll know if the interest is mutual. Does she volunteer the information that "Hey, I like XYX, too!" Does she ask you about yourself, prolong the conversation? Those are openings, chances to suggest a date, or at least more time together. Doesn't turn every girl into your girlfriend, but certainly helps you show your interest in a positive way, while having as few awkward moments as possible, and allows you to gauge her interest in you somewhat as well.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
snm
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of snm
Check out Jay Sankey's Firestarters. There is some great magic and tips on that dvd. Also, look into the pick-up artist community.
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
Pick up Artists? French Drops? And to think all this time I've been doing a boring "Hello, my name is Irfaan - how are you?" line.

Girls will come - and the best ones will come when you're not looking. Be yourself, have fun, include others and one day she will be there . . .

FYI: Guy Hollingworth's "Voodoo card" should get you downtown without much trying on your part . . . (you didn't hear that from me ;-)
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
Quote:
On 2009-10-24 11:36, DDecae wrote:
I've had too many girls start to cry during a palm reading

Wow, what kind of issues are you bringing up? I've done palmreading at parties and never had that kind problem.

MagicFreak2, How would you like to hold a girl's hand, look into her eyes, and say nice things about her? Well, that's palmreading.

I know you said you didn't like cold reading because of "too many variables," but palmreading can be really pretty simple. Knowing just two or three meanings to the three main lines (lifeline, headline, heartline) is less than ten things to remember. Just learn one line at a time, and in three days - you're a palmreader. And you can always say, "I'm just learning this, would you mind if I looked at your hand?"

After talking about her life, her mind, and her heart, naturally there will be things you want to know more about her, so ask. A person's most popular topic is themselves - so shut up and let the girl talk a little while.

If you're at a party or a bar, reading one girl's palm will lead to other girls coming up and asking to be read. The first time I was hired to do palmreading was for two hours at a party. I was there for four hours. The women just wouldn't let me leave.

Tate
Frankie
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
56 Posts

Profile of Frankie
Be sure to watch this episode of 'Young Turks': CLICK
Using magic tricks as a way to impress girls might not always work, but sometimes it does. Just don't try too hard, and néver be pushy...

You might want to try (when the mood is right)the Match to Rose trick, or the Wilting Rose (if performed in reverse; put the wilthered rose in a vase before she arrives, then make it bloom)...
“Magic is the only honest profession. A magician promises to deceive you and he does.”
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Tate, I agree with you completely. Palm reading really attracts the ladies, as you said, it's all about their favorite subject: themselves. I have had some bad experiences with the over-emotional and it was probably my lack of experience that let it get out of hand (so to speak). It's easy to hit those buttons if you're not careful and I was not careful enough.
If you are going to read palms for flirtatious reasons, dance around the past relationships, but don't zero in on it. You don't want her thinking about that guy who just broke her heart - that's what was happening to me.
I have a buddy who outright declare he won't do any psychic reading anymore because he doesn't want to have to listen to other peoples problems! He was a good psychic.
I should go back to the material and study it again. It keeps coming up in conversations when I'm performing and I feel I'm missing opportunities.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Guys, you know what I mean.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL