The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » New decks, new decks, new decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Renaldo
View Profile
New user
The Great Pacific NW
83 Posts

Profile of Renaldo
If that's true (and I'm not saying it's not) then there is no difference between Tally-Ho, Bicycle, Hoyle, etc. But, I think there are definitely differences between them, and I think there are a lotof people that would agree. Maybe it's got to do with the pressure for the linen structure. That's as good of an explanation as any that I've heard. I have to agree with the finishes all being the same, I've never been able to tell the difference anyways! But thickness and pliability does seem to differ greatly between their brands, and again, maybe it's due to the pressure.

FWIW, the Ellusionist UV 500 cards all seem very similar to Tally-Ho's to me.

I'm looking forward to the release of the Phoenix decks, Christian.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2009-11-13 05:23, Card-Shark wrote:
It is funny that you can compare the quality of the Phoenix Decks to the Ellusionist - as the Phoenix Decks are not even available!!!!

The fun part also is: I am true to you all and tell you, what card stock and finish you get. The rest is marketing. Shall I tell you that US Playing Card does NOT have different kind of finishes? That they always use the same cutting machine, punching machine, embossing machine for the linen structure? That they cut down the card stock variety to only one or two different kind of paper quality?

That´s it. The rest is psychology, clever marketing etc.

Perhaps I just should have said that I am not using the air-cushion finish but the Phoenix blowing-in-the-wind-of-wings finish to make the card fans even easier and more regular. And one or two guys will believe that and post in a forum how good they feel compared to Bicycles etc.

All this is rubbish, I am just true and tell you what you will get. And before you compare the decks to anything else... get your hands on them so that you can really have a comparison.

Ellusionist Decks have the same production cost like me, even cheaper as I guess that they are so big that they produce much more decks compared to me. There are enough card COLLECTORS out there who have no problem paying 6 Dollars for a deck that will never be used or touched. That is fine, others collect stamps or moose poo. Why not?!

I would just be happy if magicians would WORK with the Phoenix Deck, this is the intended purpose for them.

Thanks

I don't know what you are so upset about. First, there are differences in quality in different cards. And, as I'm sure you'll agree, your cards are something you wish to be considered normal decks as to fancy decks. Therefore, no comparison. You jump in here with a chip on your shoulder for no reason. The phoenix deck will have it's place I'm sure, but the art work on most of the fancy decks out there are what most find attractive. They are a little more detailed and artistically valued than a phoenix. I'm not knocking your deck of cards. I thought I was giving my opinion as to the differences. I will also say that most who buy fancy decks buy two. One to collect and one to play around with.

Your post confuses me because as you are an expert in cards and I would think that you would be first to acknowledge that there are a variarty of different qualities of card stocks and finishes rather than trying to make it look like it's all a marketing ploy. I have over 30 different types of cards, and I know for a fact that there are differences.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
Arcanes - Got a few decks at bob little's from a friend there. One deck was cut very poorly, the other deck was spot on. The kids there, were taking black sharpie markers and coloring the sides of the black Arcane decks to match the rest of the deck. Looked pretty cool to me. But I will never use any black decks ever. Nor will I ever use the white Arcanes for my gigs. I perform at bars/clubs and the lighting is so dim, that black cards make it harder to see. But that is just my personal opinion.

Bee Stingers - So I got a couple of these decks and I would have to say by FAR, the best deck of cards I have had the opportunity to play with. Giving the BEE cards borders was smart. The stock is thick, they fan nicely but overall, in an atmosphere where drinks spill, cards fall to the floor, the Stingers have really held their own. I had a drink spill on the bar, completely covering one of the cards. I picked it up, wiped it off as I would any normal Bike and set it aside to dry as I usually do. When I came back to the Stinger, it was as if nothing liquidy came in contact with it. With a Bike, that isn't the case. So for me...for now...I will use Stingers.

Phoenix - So I had the opportunity to shuffle these bad boys and play with them for a bit. They handle just like regular bikes, but I personally do not like the design on them. I will still order some for my collection. But I won't ever use them for performing. One joker I think was a bad idea, but it seems as if the message has been heard loud and clear, and I hope that is resolved for the magicians who plan on using them in their act. These just do not do it for me.
Mike.Hankins

Instagram: MHMagic77

Twitter: @HankinsMagic

FaceBook: Yup!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » New decks, new decks, new decks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL